[Event] Eselfontein MTB 3 Day Stage Race

Eselfontein

That was good!

Thanks guys, shoulda been more campsites on the grass, but the event itself was top class

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was good!

Thanks guys, shoulda been more campsites on the grass, but the event itself was top class

I reckon the fact that some people took up a campsite to park their cars screwed it up. I saw a couple of spots with cars on it and no tents.

This is the best multi day I've ridden.

Tough, rough, hard riding.

The course spared no punches and definitely favoured the riders with better technical skills.

I loved that they used every single trail available, that they put us on as little gravel road as possible. There are no unnecessary bridges here, these guys know that a bridge is not a feature but a means to get across a ditch or a river. They don't add silly small bridges over rocks here and then make a hoohaa about the 78bridges on course in the race briefing. Nee meneer, jy moet deur die klippe ry.

It helps that the farmer is an old school mountain biker and that he now builds trails with his Enduro motorbike.

I also liked the vibe around race HQ and in the campsite. Where else will the farmer's wife help out in the morning and give us some low down on the route to expect for the day?

Where else can you can you have a straat braai with two braai dromme running massive fires and the inhabitants of 4 campsites sitting around these fires having a lekker kuier? I think we were 12 people braaiing together on Saturday evening burning about 4big bags of wood.

Where else will you have people pulling over to let faster riders come past on the climbs and downhills without hassles?

All in all, a top weekend. I'm definitely back next year.

I reckon the fact that some people took up a campsite to park their cars screwed it up. I saw a couple of spots with cars on it and no tents.

Definitely this!

Loved this event. My first stage race done and dusted. Last day was proper! Such a nice 15km section of single track downhill coming from the top. Night ride was awesome having so many people on the trails as the single night race usually only attracts about 20-30 okes. 

Waterpoints were awesome and there were plenty! Very clever idea to utilise a waterpoint twice, coming up and down from loops riding different trails.

I hope this event goes from strength to strength. Thanks to the organisers as well as everyone that did the ride. You are all lekker friendly people

I am not a stage race fan really - and I don't have the bike for it, but this one was rather special, and despite the pain on the ups, was probably the best 3 day race to attempt on a trail bike.  My bike chewed up and spat out that 10km rock garden and the relaxed geo and dropper post made for stress free descending.

My wife loved it and out rode a bunch of men on the descents. Hope it doesn't get too big or those trails will get a bit clogged. 

All in a must repeat race. No hype, a grass roots MTB feel about the event, especially if you were camping as Philip said. 

Ugh, these elitist 'invite only - gotta know the secret #Endurbro handshake' events.

Maak my naar.

Entry ninja appear to have stuffed up the results for day 3 - there were many more than 145 finishers I suspect and our names don't appear. They are also not the easiest to contact  - no email, just FB and Twitter as far as I can see. 

Ugh, these elitist 'invite only - gotta know the secret #Endurbro handshake' events.

Maak my naar.

I was puking the whole way, i tell you. I mean I only found out about it by chance and then i had to send an email and pay some money and only then would they even respond. Its like the whole Zupta thing all over again. Its not who you know, its who you pay. Damn things are falling apart...