Entries for exciting new Maluti Double90 Team Challenge open 9 March 2016

News bot

Hey,

Well done to you guys. Unfortunately the mineshaft was a bit more than a bump in the road for me and a lot of others. It was more of an obsticle, but once over the top it was a nice ride home. Well worth the effort.

Regards

Sarge

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, on it own its not a problem..... After 150km in the wind, it a little tester but its short and over quick, less than 2 mins of effort....

On strava the "mynskag" is only 200m long and for maluti I went in just under 2 min but i'm sure its positive gradient for a bit longer than that? Maybe not as steep for as long but still knocking on a double figure gradient? I obviously don't ride there enough to know the road well and by that stage on Saturday I was just riding and not actually concentrating anymore :D

To be honest, on it own its not a problem..... After 150km in the wind, it a little tester but its short and over quick, less than 2 mins of effort....

I would add that riding in the group there would be added pressure to keep up with, or not ride away from, your team mates. I found myself (with another team mate) riding off the front of the group on the climb and the subsequent bumps in the run-in to the finish.

I have my pace I am comfortable at, and riding it slower than I would like, feels harder. As you say, on it's own it's not that difficult (for me at least).

Edited by geraldm24

I wonder what the route would be like in the other direction. Hit Golden Gate first, then grind it out to the finish. The descent towards Harrismith is definitely more dangerous than towards Clarens. 

Obviously going through Bethlehem later in the day could be a concern, as is turning right off the N5 to Clarens.

I enjoyed it....by the time I got to the mineshaft my calf was getting a bit tight so I stopped a few times to stretch it out.  Having a 25 at the back was not kind :wacko: I ran out of gears quickly,  I also regretted every piece of cake I've eaten this year.  A few kilos less would really have helped :P 

But what an amazing ride.  The hours went by quickly and the views were incredible.

The start was freezing, I'm new to road riding so when my friends started putting sheets of newspapers in their shirts at the start I thought they were crazy.  But it works!!!

I will definitely be doing it again. 

I enjoyed it....by the time I got to the mineshaft my calf was getting a bit tight so I stopped a few times to stretch it out. Having a 25 at the back was not kind :wacko: I ran out of gears quickly, I also regretted every piece of cake I've eaten this year. A few kilos less would really have helped :P

But what an amazing ride. The hours went by quickly and the views were incredible.

The start was freezing, I'm new to road riding so when my friends started putting sheets of newspapers in their shirts at the start I thought they were crazy. But it works!!!

I will definitely be doing it again.

I was over-dressed when leaving the guest house. By the time we were ready to move onto the start line (07:48) I had stripped down the 3/4 leggings, gilet, winter jacket and full finger gloves to a vest, shirt, arm warmers, 5 sheets of Makro specials (newspaper), shorts, socks, shoes (with toe caps on) and short finger gloves.

By the time we got to the pit stop I was feeling the cold, but that all changed going through Golden Gate when the newspaper came out, sleeves pulled down and shirt zipped down - like a chilly summer's day.

Besides the breeze, it was a great day (weather wise) on the bike. Sunday's conditions though we're less great... Brr!

I was over-dressed when leaving the guest house. By the time we were ready to move onto the start line (07:48) I had stripped down the 3/4 leggings, gilet, winter jacket and full finger gloves to a vest, shirt, arm warmers, 5 sheets of Makro specials (newspaper), shorts, socks, shoes (with toe caps on) and short finger gloves.

By the time we got to the pit stop I was feeling the cold, but that all changed going through Golden Gate when the newspaper came out, sleeves pulled down and shirt zipped down - like a chilly summer's day.

Besides the breeze, it was a great day (weather wise) on the bike. Sunday's conditions though we're less great... Brr!

I started with a bib (chose to not use the leg warmers) buff, short sleeve shirt, gloves and sleeves. And the classifieds.  I did my strip show at Golden Gate also.  Arm warmers came off.  Newspaper came out. 

We spent the Saturday night in Clarens.  I woke up around midnight and the wind was howling!!! 

You are right about Sunday.....it was cold !!  But it was a great excuse to go to the coffee shop.