Entries for exciting new Maluti Double90 Team Challenge open 9 March 2016

News bot

Our plan was to get all 12 over the line together. After 80-odd Km, we dropped our first rider.

5km after the pit stop we dropped the next 2 riders by accident, but it would've happened in GG.

Another rider dropped before the first big climb and the another 2 jest before the mine shaft.

That left the final 6 to get us home, just over 6 hours.

A very well organised event, and a truly challenging route. Thoroughly enjoyed the sufferfest.

1479a1aaf73b0346f8d9f927d196dfb1.jpg

7a76001f5a4d15698fa822128cef8717.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by geraldm24

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our plan was to get all 12 over the line together. After 80-odd Km, we dropped our first rider.

5km after the pit stop we dropped the next 2 riders by accident, but it would've happened in GG.

Another rider dropped before the first big climb and the another 2 jest before the mine shaft.

That left the final 6 to get us home, just over 6 hours.

A very well organised event, and a truly challenging route. Thoroughly enjoyed the sufferfest.

1479a1aaf73b0346f8d9f927d196dfb1.jpg

7a76001f5a4d15698fa822128cef8717.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The team worked really well together and achieved the best possible result for the 12 different abilities!!

We protected the perceived weaker rides to Kestell as much as possible, so the strongest 6 could get to the finish in 6 hrs.  Mission accomplished!! 

The finisher's "medal" will be worth keeping too...

050fdbcc2c38d00e3ee2b68922ff2dc9.jpg!

Very Retro

These were the standard "medals" of the PPA (Western Cape) events in the 80's. 

The cool thing to do was to sow all your "medals" onto a track suit top.

I still have a 2l ice cream bucket full of these at home!!

We started with 11. We finished with 11. So pleased that we rode for each other!!!

The wind threatened to rip our legs off but we stuck together.

A truly epic ride, and mostly well executed by the Organisers.

We are planning our 2017 race already!!

Now to turn those legs to the East and prepare for Jock...

I thought you where riding?

No, that was never the plan, well not since the end of March.

I thought my thin wheel would have been on a ship already on its way to NZ, but due to some delays on my visa (now sorted) it seems it is only leaving coming weekend.

(I also don't like the 'racing' scene for some reason....my heart rate goes too high  :blush:)

My weekend had ups and downs, and while I had a fairly good ride, it was nearly a miss for me.

On the way down to Clarens on Friday, I hit a pothole (actually 3-4 of them) which ripped a chunk out the side wall of my left rear tyre.

The wheel nut and stud was stripped and I couldn't get the wheel off. The stud was turning inside the hub.

It happened about 20 minutes after sunset, and by the time the car was unpacked, jacked up and me turning the wheel spanner, it was dark - as in pitch-black, no lights and very few passing cars.

Thankfully a local FS farmer stopped, although later his wife told my wife that they don't like to stop for GP cars, for fear of being hijacked. They drove passed, and eventually stopped a few hundred metres later, before reversing back to us. The farmer's wife said that she has a bad feeling of they carried on without asking if we were okay.

My wife got their phone number and now I need to find a way to pay them back for their kindness, and help. They restored my outlook that there are lots of good people in the country despite what some others may say. But that's a discussion for another thread.

After lots of boer-maak-n-plan banging, pulling, twisting and head scratching, we decided to drive the car to their farm and drill the nut in it's moer (pun intended) in.

Wife, 2 kids and a car loaded with weekend luggage and I was a still 125km away from Clarens.

Team mates drove out to see if they could help, and we eventually arrived in Clarens at 23:30.

I didn't sleep well, but managed somehow to have a good ride. Next year I will leave much earlier and will travel on the N3 to Harrismith then through GG to Clarens.

I thought I had taken a photo of the tyre, but there's nothing in my gallery.

0824fa57b316072f247e20e7e542f819.jpg

My weekend had ups and downs, and while I had a fairly good ride, it was nearly a miss for me.

On the way down to Clarens on Friday, I hit a pothole (actually 3-4 of them) which ripped a chunk out the side wall of my left rear tyre.

The wheel nut and stud was stripped and I couldn't get the wheel off. The stud was turning inside the hub.

It happened about 20 minutes after sunset, and by the time the car was unpacked, jacked up and me turning the wheel spanner, it was dark - as in pitch-black, no lights and very few passing cars.

Thankfully a local FS farmer stopped, although later his wife told my wife that they don't like to stop for GP cars, for fear of being hijacked. They drove passed, and eventually stopped a few hundred metres later, before reversing back to us. The farmer's wife said that she has a bad feeling of they carried on without asking if we were okay.

My wife got their phone number and now I need to find a way to pay them back for their kindness, and help. They restored my outlook that there are lots of good people in the country despite what some others may say. But that's a discussion for another thread.

After lots of boer-maak-n-plan banging, pulling, twisting and head scratching, we decided to drive the car to their farm and drill the nut in it's moer (pun intended) in.

Wife, 2 kids and a car loaded with weekend luggage and I was a still 125km away from Clarens.

Team mates drove out to see if they could help, and we eventually arrived in Clarens at 23:30.

I didn't sleep well, but managed somehow to have a good ride. Next year I will leave much earlier and will travel on the N3 to Harrismith then through GG to Clarens.

I thought I had taken a photo of the tyre, but there's nothing in my gallery.

0824fa57b316072f247e20e7e542f819.jpg

Hard luck G. But your team rode so well and the way you rode as a team was awesome to see. When I saw the first of your dropped riders I felt heart sore because I knew you wanted all 12 across the line together, But just like our team tactics what is said in the meeting and what happens on the road are different and you need to adapt. It was good to ride with you guys for the little bit I did.

PS:Your bike was the nicest I saw all day, and the dude in my hotel with the same one!

My thoughts on the (organization of) the race - 

The Maluti Double 90 was a well organized race. The starting spot (President's square) was picturesque and the starting procedures were up to scratch. The start just as we head out of the town though was a bit of a mess, with other cyclists coming into the opposite lane, and with that steep downhill, picking up speed is very easy. 

The "pit stop" was a mad rush. Found our car easily, did our prep for the final 75km or so. 

Congrats on picking Golden Gate to test us after 130km odd  :wacko:. Traffic through GG was a bit unexpected, cars thinking they are allowed to race too. And once again, some cyclists littered leaving their empty goo packets laying all over. 

The "little" hill up to the finish was the final tester, and then the rich reward of a patch instead of a medal, unique in this time of road racing.

Well done PPA, good inaugural event. Would like to come back next year! 

My thoughts on my race - 

0-70km - coping, cross wind was a  :devil:

70km- pit stop - starting to feel the exhaustion, hit a soft wall

Pit stop - GG - fell off, solo in wind

GG start - GG finish - F&kkit! SBR 1000x?  :eek:

GG finish - Clarens - Up..down..up..down..more ups? Still not finished? Ok, how about now, pretty please? Blank.. beer in hand, finished!

Getting ill 2 weeks prior did not help (I believe). Know where my training is lacking now. 

Next - Jock Classique!

Will post some footage soon.

Here are some pics of that most pleasant little bump called "The Mineshaft".....

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/Maluti%20902_zps3xtbo2w9.jpg

Here somebody is getting a little help... Those last few KM were tough after the wind!

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/Maluti%2090_zpsnvk8g4nq.jpg

This was the funniest of the footage that we got.

You can clearly see he moment that this guy from a team sponsored by a Pharmacy (yeah somebody has a sense of humour) screamed in a high pitched voice LEEEEEFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTT at us. Note the impressed look from our Team Cap on the right. We had a good giggle...

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/Maluti%20903_zpsqjkufhuu.jpg

Edited by Patchelicious

Will post some footage soon.

Here are some pics of that most pleasant little bump called "The Mineshaft".....

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/Maluti%20902_zps3xtbo2w9.jpg

Here somebody is getting a little help... Those last few KM were tough after the wind!

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/Maluti%2090_zpsnvk8g4nq.jpg

This was the funniest of the footage that we got.

You can clearly see he moment that this guy from a team sponsored by a Pharmacy (yeah somebody has a sense of humour) screamed in a high pitched voice LEEEEEFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTT at us. Note the impressed look from our Team Cap on the right. We had a good giggle...

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/Maluti%20903_zpsqjkufhuu.jpg

And what does that lil' ol' mineshaft measure up to be? Looks kinda steep!

I quite like responding to such  Leeeffftttt-ist comments, with "tit at home". Well, it makes me chuckle and avoids the Scot in me.....coming out.

And what does that lil' ol' mineshaft measure up to be? Looks kinda steep!

I quite like responding to such  Leeeffftttt-ist comments, with "tit at home". Well, it makes me chuckle and avoids the Scot in me.....coming out.

To be honest, on it own its not a problem..... After 150km in the wind, it a little tester but its short and over quick, less than 2 mins of effort....