[Event] Ashburton Investments National MTB Series VAN GAALEN

WesselvdWalt

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How packed is Van Gaalens going to be on Saturday morning?

Have a family get together that's supposed to happen there, but wondering if I should move it somewhere else (no riding involved)

How packed is Van Gaalens going to be on Saturday morning?

Have a family get together that's supposed to happen there, but wondering if I should move it somewhere else (no riding involved)

move it there is going to be a SHI#Ton of people there

Anyone  student/unemployed/impoverish person want a marathon entry? Group D, I've come down with yukkie flu, no ways I am going to make it without making the situation worse, oh the joys of being self-employed.

They say they've built a new trail that bypasses "Jou Baas" (that descent). Should still be fun. You're still at the top and need to get to the bottom. Guess they were tired of picking up broken collarbones...

I see the event booklet has it at 993m of ascent. That's more than 500m less than last year, yet the profile looks very similar. Apparently some climbs in Segwati have been removed, but to lose 500m it's more than just a few.

There was an ambulance waiting at the bottom of that descend for the past 2 years as they know how dangerous it is. I think the one year a figure of 30 broken collarbones was mentioned so I can understand why they would make it easier/safer.

I love that descend. It is a proper test of bike handling skills.

I wonder where they lost the 500m of vertical ascend?

I got 1139m last year for marathon. Will probably be roughly the same this year.

They say they've built a new trail that bypasses "Jou Baas" (that descent). Should still be fun. You're still at the top and need to get to the bottom. Guess they were tired of picking up broken collarbones...

I see the event booklet has it at 993m of ascent. That's more than 500m less than last year, yet the profile looks very similar. Apparently some climbs in Segwati have been removed, but to lose 500m it's more than just a few.

There was an ambulance waiting at the bottom of that descend for the past 2 years as they know how dangerous it is. I think the one year a figure of 30 broken collarbones was mentioned so I can understand why they would make it easier/safer.

I love that descend. It is a proper test of bike handling skills.

I wonder where they lost the 500m of vertical ascend?

I see I got 1140m climbing for last year.

From the map, it looks like they don't route us down around the field just before the concrete strips anymore, but then they also didn't send us up Oom Piets last year...

I got 1350 for last year.

I heard oom piet is back. That is quite a sting in the tail

it's a good sting though...

Got the KOM for the descent last weekend, having it near the end means I should keep it...  :ph34r:

always lose trophies after races...  :w00t:

From checking last years profile and comparing to this years route the only changes I can see is the loop around the field being removed so past the 1st waterpoint we are heading straight over the concrete strips. The only other change is the finish going up oom piet and not straight on the district road to the single track for the finish.

I suspect the 950m of climbing quoted isn't correct. I will prepare for at least 1300m. From the elevation profile we are definitely dropping down the mountain to get to the floating bridge. Might be a different trail, but still going to be lekker steep!!!

I still remember going up the concrete for the first time and halfway up the guy in front of me started puking. Thats when it dawned on me that this is going to be special. Such fond memories!

I sincerely hope Advendurance got their **** together this year, looking forward to a good hard day in the saddle.