[Event] Ashburton Investments National MTB Series VAN GAALEN

WesselvdWalt

From checking last years profile and comparing to this years route the only changes I can see is the loop around the field being removed so past the 1st waterpoint we are heading straight over the concrete strips. The only other change is the finish going up oom piet and not straight on the district road to the single track for the finish.

I suspect the 950m of climbing quoted isn't correct. I will prepare for at least 1300m. From the elevation profile we are definitely dropping down the mountain to get to the floating bridge. Might be a different trail, but still going to be lekker steep!!!

just when I had my mind set at sub 1000 m of climbing ....holy crap gonna be a long day. Best the family be prepared to drag my sorry ass to the car ????????????

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: if you can choose between a Spez epic (light) or stumpy fsr (heavier, can better take the rough stuff) for the marathon, which will you take?

Question: if you can choose between a Spez epic (light) or stumpy fsr (heavier, can better take the rough stuff) for the marathon, which will you take?

for me no question stumpy . Won't beat you up as much. But would also depend on weight ,wheel ,size etc. But personally I take travel and comfort over weight & pace anytime. Never going to win anything so it's all about the fun.

Cool to be able to 'check in' online and just to have your board scanned and the 'collect and go' at reg. Not so cool if they tell you to go join the 50+ queue outside for reg anyway.

Must say, they did not dissapoint. The new singletrack towards the floating bridge was super fun. The bridge did not dissapoint and different distances did not interfere with each other. This was truly the most fun marathon in the Gauteng area for me so far this year. Oom Piet was sapping at the end, but wasnt a super tough climb. Thank you for a great event.

Agree 100%. Oom Piet was the finisher. Not super tough but with tired legs it felt like the worse climb off the day. The river section even when tired was still awesome fun. Went for a dip in the last water crossing just before the end Fatigue just caught me out.

On that specific brand, the Camber without question. 

On that specific brand, the Camber without question.

I eventually used the Stumpy despite being 2.3kg heavier and was glad I did, sometimes felt like a constant rock garden. Marathon nearly killed me but I got home in 1 piece. But next time, rather the half marathon for me.

Considering the terrain of Van Gaalen and Clarens, I think I need to sell the Epic and get more help from a Camber or other brand

Edited by pdt33

I eventually used the Stumpy despite being 2.3kg heavier and was glad I did, sometimes felt like a constant rock garden. Marathon nearly killed me but I got home in 1 piece. But next time, rather the half marathon for me

The marathon was tough regardless of what bike you rode. The epic might have been quicker,but don't underestimate the beating your body takes on shorter travel bikes and that fatigue can play a big role if you not strong or fit enough.

I suffered yesterday as well and was happy for the river section being the last part. The climbs were tough but the terrain lends itself to that kinda of grin & bear it and keep your momentum climb.

Will be back next year for sure. As for all the doubt about the bridge it was actually perfectly easy to ride ????????????????????

Oh & 1200 m of ascent according to my garmin ????????

Edited by Pikey

it's a good sting though...

Got the KOM for the descent last weekend, having it near the end means I should keep it...  :ph34r:

always lose trophies after races...  :w00t:

Fun Gaalens never disappoints!

What a fun race as always, the new section added instead of the Satellite descent was good, although at times thought it didn't quite flow nicely, the little sharp up's that had rocks broke the momentum slightly.

Floating bridge wasn't bad, quite solid but the rocks coming off caught a couple folks.

Was quite thankful for the tailwind on the district road heading to Oom Piets, caught up to a few people, chatted a little, then headed up Oom Piets.

Doesn't matter how tired you are, the river route back to VG is always fun.

There were a few people wondering around the finish with their arms in slings, heard there was quite a bad crash on the half.

Suppose it's not too bad losing the Strava KOM to Philip and Matt...  :blush:

Did they not know they still had like 50km's still to go...

https://www.strava.com/segments/1572635

Wtf is up with the Ultra results? Beeeg FU.

As for the route, well done Eric, a proper test, loved and hated every 1km.

The marathon was tough regardless of what bike you rode. The epic might have been quicker,but don't underestimate the beating your body takes on shorter travel bikes and that fatigue can play a big role if you not strong or fit enough.

I suffered yesterday as well and was happy for the river section being the last part. The climbs were tough but the terrain lends itself to that kinda of grin & bear it and keep your momentum climb.

Will be back next year for sure. As for all the doubt about the bridge it was actually perfectly easy to ride

Oh & 1200 m of ascent according to my garmin

Thanks Pikey for helping me choose the Stumpy! Hell of a tough ride, took me 6:30 but happy to make it