RIFLE

mon-goose

So I received an SMS on Friday from the SAPS saying the license for my 9MM will expire next year. Thing is, I don't own a 9MM or any firearm for that matter. It has the serial number for the hand gun in the SMS, I am wondering if I should try contact someone to inform them that the cell number on the system is wrong. Anyone know who I could contact?

Not one little bit surprised.

The admin of that whole system is a total and utter shambles. If it was a plane, it would have crashed and burnt by now.

The right thing to do is to contact the designated firearms officer at your nearest police station and inform him or her, in writing or by e-mail. Whether they will actually track the problem down is another question, but at least then you have done the right thing, and if it helps someone else in the end, good!

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not one little bit surprised.

The admin of that whole system is a total and utter shambles. If it was a plane, it would have crashed and burnt by now.

The right thing to do is to contact the designated firearms officer at your nearest police station and inform him or her, in writing or by e-mail. Whether they will actually track the problem down is another question, but at least then you have done the right thing, and if it helps someone else in the end, good!

Cool thanks for the info. I'll make a turn at the cop station and ask for some contact details.

• 2 weeks later...

I might know someone who might know someone who might still have the old licence after he applied back in 2002 for the new ones and never received them and then were told that his application got lost. Are they still valid?

Edited by BSG

Apologies if this has been posted before; I recently came across these podcasts 

"Guncast is one of South Africa’s only podcasts about guns, gun ownership, and the complexities of gun law. Hosted by Martin Hood, the country’s foremost gun lawyer, this podcast series will inform and educate you about training, sports shooting, licensing, and all the other aspects of gun ownership. Bite the bullet, download the series!

https://iono.fm/c/4373

I might know someone who might know someone who might still have the old licence after he applied back in 2002 for the new ones and never received them and then were told that his application got lost. Are they still valid?

It has become such a quagmire of legal challenges, court cases and appeals, that it is a total mess. The short answer is that yes, they are still valid, but there are so many uncertainties and it may well change, that it is impossible to give an answer that can be relied on. Sadly, not even those in charge, SAPS, or the lawyers, have straight answers.

super super frustrating evening. Picked up my rifle, cleaned everything up and all looks great. Then tried to cycle the rounds we loaded and then the problems started. Most didn't cycle but can't figure out why. Played around with length but lots got jammed. Going to get another opinion tomorrow. Very frustrated

super super frustrating evening. Picked up my rifle, cleaned everything up and all looks great. Then tried to cycle the rounds we loaded and then the problems started. Most didn't cycle but can't figure out why. Played around with length but lots got jammed. Going to get another opinion tomorrow. Very frustrated

Is it new brass that you have loaded? Did you do a full length resize or just the necks?

If you full length resized the cases in the die, it should not be a problem, but if your die is set up to neck size only, it can struggle to chamber in a rifle other than in which it was fired before. Full length resizing is essential if you load new or used brass that was not fired in your specific rifle. If you blacken the shoulder of the case with a koki pen and chamber it, you will see the black rubbed off on the shoulder part, confirming the diagnosis..

If the ogive (curve) of the bullet contacts the lands (start) of the rifling before the bolt is fully closed, then it will feel tight and it will be difficult to fully close the bolt. This will happen if the bullet is seated slightly too far out. It is important to know that it is the shape of the bullet that causes it, not just the total overall length. If you blacken the bullet part with a koki pen and chambers the round, it will rub off the black where it touches the lands and confirm what I said above.

If the overall length of the rounds is too long it can affect the way the rounds move up in the magazine. A rule of thumb check is to only put 1 round in the magazine and chamber that to see if it chambers fine. Then load 2, 3 and 4 rounds and try again. If it struggles to feed up and chamber, then some or all of the rounds may be too long for the magazine. be

Another possibility could be that the cases are too long, but unless they have been loaded several times and not trimmed, this is unlikely. In this case the mouth of the case will bump the front of the chamber.

Discuss all this with someone who knows his stuff and can look at the rifle and the problem rounds. Be safe!

Edited by DJR

Thanks DJR and help.me

It's twice fired brass and we did a full resize on it.

we also played around with lengths and shortened one to see if it goes in better.

But am going to someone else today or tomorrow who's loaded for years and apparently know's his stuff so we'll hopefully find the problem

Sometimes a bulge forms in the neck of the bass if you try to taper crimp?

Overall cartridge length?

Does store bought ammo fit in the chamber?

Also check that the bullets are .270 bullets. And not .280(actually 7.2mm) or 7mm (these are actually 7.25 mm) bullets. Very similar these.

Sometimes these measurements can produce headaches. And disasters.

MOST .270 bullets are either 130 or 150gr.

I recently had a talk about suppressors with a good friend whose opinion I value very highly on all things to do with rifles and shooting. I told him what I said earlier in this thread. Why I'm not keen on them and why I don't own one and don't plan on getting one........

.........I got shocked silence and then I got lectured severely for being a stupid grumpy old dinosaur fossil who should wake up, get with it and move with the times and the technology!

According to him, and I can vouch for his marksmanship, he recons that suppressors made him much more accurate than ever before. His suppressors also function as muzzle breaks, so it reduces felt recoil with between 30 and 50%! Less kick = less flinch = more trigger control  = more accuracy!

There you have it! So, don't mind me, just ignore my old fashioned earlier opinion. Get one, (even if it is ugly). See, I cannot help my old biased self! :blush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psk65mhcxrs