RIFLE

mon-goose

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

don't know their range, just seen a few and was wondering if the brand is good.

sorry guys I am still trying to clarify the process in my head.

I understand that I have to do the competency tests and then get the proficiency certificate.

I then have to ensure I have a safe installed and apply for the license.

Once I have the license I can purchase a rifle. Does the license then get updated with the details of the specific rifle I have purchased so that the license cannot be used for another rifle as well?

I'm just not sure what happens first, do I get the license, then buy a gun and then update the license with the details? Or do I have to have the rifle details as part of the license submission?

Hope I'm explaining myself properly.

Also, if I find a gun I really want before I get the license, is it possible to arrange with a gun shop to essentially keep the gun until I get the license?

don't know their range, just seen a few and was wondering if the brand is good.

sorry guys I am still trying to clarify the process in my head.

I understand that I have to do the competency tests and then get the proficiency certificate.

I then have to ensure I have a safe installed and apply for the license.

Once I have the license I can purchase a rifle. Does the license then get updated with the details of the specific rifle I have purchased so that the license cannot be used for another rifle as well?

I'm just not sure what happens first, do I get the license, then buy a gun and then update the license with the details? Or do I have to have the rifle details as part of the license submission?

Hope I'm explaining myself properly.

Also, if I find a gun I really want before I get the license, is it possible to arrange with a gun shop to essentially keep the gun until I get the license?

license each specific fire-arm i.e. "buy" the gun to get serial numbers etc, apply for a license & competency 

license approved = get the gun in your hands

Thanks.

does the firearm store then keep then gun once you've bought it until you get the license?

and if your license application is declined, will they then refund you?

and if you want to buy privately would I need to agree with the seller to keep the gun until I get the license? A lot of sellers might not want to do this 

Write all three competency tests and pass at an accredited institution.

Gun shop: buy the weapon, apply for license, weapon remains in dealer stock until license is approved. Collect license card from SAPS DFO and then go to gun shop and collect weapon.

Private sale: agree to purchase weapon and both parties agree on a gun shop to use, seller places firearm in dealer stock at gun shop, he signs your fire arm application consenting to the transfer and you apply for the license. There after same procedure as above. This is a good system for both of you. I would buy a rifle bag to store the rifle in whilst in storage at the gun shop though.

• 2 weeks later...

any new comments or suggestions. Also I'm very close to the milnerton shooting range, anyone had any experience with them

• 2 years later...

so finally going to start the process. Going Saturday to get the study material and then write the exam for a rifle

so finally going to start the process. Going Saturday to get the study material and then write the exam for a rifle

Join GOSA as a silver or better member - they will help you if and when you have issues with the CFR.

http://www.gosaonline.co.za/

getting my hand gun competency cert back this week. then its off to buy my firearm. quite excited. hopefully all goes smoothly

Guys, some advice from my side.

1) Join GOSA!!!!

2) Do you competency;

3) Join Natshoot, and do your Dedicated Sport Status (aka DSS);

3.1) This makes life a lot easier in the future when buying more ammo than the measly 200 allowed.

4) When doing your motivation, stick to a true single purpose motivation, don't try and be oulik by saying it's for self protection and will be used for sport on occasion. Choose one and motivate accordingly.

5) Repeat step 1!

and don't dawdle - some changes out for comment that will make owning a firearm even more onerous and pretty much impossible for self defence.  :thumbdown:

getting my hand gun competency cert back this week. then its off to buy my firearm. quite excited. hopefully all goes smoothly

Just a note on Section 13, gov is trying to pass the law to stop S13.

What basically means applying for self defense weapon is not a valid reason.

Just released the statement. 17 Oct 2018.

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/images/icons/icon1.png GOSA Media Statement on the proposed amendments to the FCA

MEDIA STATEMENT 

For immediate release. 

17 October 2018

Tim Flack 0606054562

SAPS ARE ATTEMPTING TO REMOVE SELF DEFENSE AS A REASON TO OWN A FIREARM.

Once again SAPS leadership has proven that they are not serious about the lives of citizens in South Africa. On Wednesday a draft amendment bill to the firearms control act was released. We have perused the document and are absolutely outraged at this development.

In essence what the draft amendment bill sets to achieve is the following:

Section 13 and 14 are repealed. This means that self-defense is no longer a valid reason for owning a firearm, infringing on every South Africans’ right to life. A maximum of two (2) handguns for S16 (dedicated sports shooter), and a maximum of eight (8) firearms in total. You will need a medical certificate for applications, which means a breach of the constitutional rights of citizens right to privacy, opening them up to discrimination. All green licenses, which have been found by the courts to be valid for life will have to move over to the white licensing system with the additional restrictions. The establishment of a ballistics database; knowing well ballistic testing has proven to be ineffective. Muzzleloaders are now treated like all other firearms and all semi-auto shotgun and rifles are now going to monumentally more difficult to obtain.

The major concern we have is the right to life of law-abiding citizens. Crime is escalating at an alarming rate, whereby the criminals perpetrating these crimes are becoming increasingly violent. Taking away a means to effectively defend oneself will see to an increase in violent crimes committed against all South Africans, this cannot be allowed to happen.

We urge all law-abiding legal gun owners of South Africa to write to the chairperson of the Police Portfolio Committee, Mr. Francois Beukman expressing your dissatisfaction at this preposterous and uncalled for attack on your right to life, and the ability to protect yourself against the crime infestation we all face on a daily basis. fbeukman@parliament.gov.za

Now is not a time to roll over, in feeding the crocodile hoping to save your life you will only be eaten last. It is time to stand up and fight for your rights, not sit back and accept this. We urge all gun owners to join us in this fight.

PP Chairperson, Gun Owners South Africa

Paul Oxley.