RIFLE

mon-goose

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I have spent the last few days on youtube drooling over shotguns!

Can one arrange with a gun range to try one out, with a quick safety check/lesson for someone who has not grown up around or used guns, and then go knock off a couple of shells on the range?

The absolute simplicity of the shotgun, and the brute force have a certain allure for me.

Shotguns can be the most fun you can have on a range, they were always my favourite, but there are many different types and you should know what you’d like to try.

Over / under shotguns are simple to operate but the wooden stocks can be relatively uncomfortable for a noob (even with a pad) and hitting moving clays can be difficult for some.

Pumps are a great visceral experience for sure, and semi autos can further help reduce felt recoil as the action uses some of the energy to cycle instead of transferring it through to the shooter.

If you’re worried about recoil (you shouldn’t really be) there are also lighter loads that can be used.

I’d use Suburban Guns / Clay Busters (at False Bay every weekend) for clays and False Bay Firearms Training Academy for pumps or semis.

I’d be weary of Clay Pigeon Adventures.

You’ve made me think back on the good times back in ZA, if I was still there I would have gladly offered to take you for a day out.

Edited by The Ghost

Shotguns can be the most fun you can have on a range, they were always my favourite, but there are many different types and you should know what you’d like to try.

Over / under shotguns are simple to operate but the wooden stocks can be relatively uncomfortable for a noob (even with a pad) and hitting moving clays can be difficult for some.

Pumps are a great visceral experience for sure, and semi autos can further help reduce felt recoil as the action uses some of the energy to cycle instead of transferring it through to the shooter.

If you’re worried about recoil (you shouldn’t really be) there are also lighter loads that can be used.

I’d use Suburban Guns / Clay Busters (at False Bay every weekend) for clays and False Bay Firearms Training Academy for pumps or semis.

I’d be weary of Clay Pigeon Adventures.

You’ve made me think back on the good times back in ZA, if I was still there I would have gladly offered to take you for a day out.

Thanks Ghost .... the more I look, the more I like the over/under shotguns.

Currently under huge work loads (Been on half pay & work hours since early to mid lock down, so have been working hard on private work and projects to fill the gap) since lock down and only had two weekends free since then.

When life returns to normal I will certainly be going to a range to experiment.

Thanks Ghost .... the more I look, the more I like the over/under shotguns.

Currently under huge work loads (Been on half pay & work hours since early to mid lock down, so have been working hard on private work and projects to fill the gap) since lock down and only had two weekends free since then.

When life returns to normal I will certainly be going to a range to experiment.

Cool.

Good job on filling the gap, definitely go have a chat to Charles at Suburban Guns / Clay Busters he’s a good coach and been doing it for years. I don’t think it’s pricy, about R120 for a line (25 clays, rounds and shotguns included).

Until then here’s a pic of my boy holding an over under that was custom made for Eric Clapton that sold (used) for R1.3 million (for the pair) to keep you interested [emoji1]

52f0f09737f1a569aacd1103835c8351.jpg

Cool.

Good job on filling the gap, definitely go have a chat to Charles at Suburban Guns / Clay Busters he’s a good coach and been doing it for years. I don’t think it’s pricy, about R120 for a line (25 clays, rounds and shotguns included).

Until then here’s a pic of my boy holding an over under that was custom made for Eric Clapton that sold (used) for R1.3 million (for the pair) to keep you interested [emoji1]

52f0f09737f1a569aacd1103835c8351.jpg

Can you tell more about that Eric Clapton shotgun. It looks like a round action and not many make those. What is it? Intrigued I am!

Edit: If it is old then I guess a Boss.

Edited by DJR

If I had the money............. :wub:

It’s not even half the price of the most expensive blaster I’ve held [emoji6] scary how much money some people have hey.

It’s not even half the price of the most expensive blaster I’ve held [emoji6] scary how much money some people have hey.

I once spent a great morning in the Holland & Holland gun room while my wife was out shopping. .After a few hours of very serious drooling and lots of very friendly talk, I bought myself a tie. Still my favourite tie. And about the only thing I could afford at the time.

Four favourites:

• .270 Winchester for being a sprinter on the flats and as accurate as a surgeon when it gets there.
  • 30.06 Springfield for being a dependable friend that is well behaved and ready for just about any adventure, in the open or in the thick stuff, no complaints.
  • .300 Holland & Holland for being a problem child that reformed and can now throw a hammer accurately all the way to the horizon and land it on a coin.
  • .375 Holland & Holland for being a tame bouncer with a wallop like lightning and will do anything you ask of it without any fuss.

post-17716-0-86152200-1599379709_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

I once spent a great morning in the Holland & Holland gun room while my wife was out shopping. .After a few hours of very serious drooling and lots of very friendly talk, I bought myself a tie. Still my favourite tie. And about the only thing I could afford at the time.

I bet you could take this guy DJR

I bet you could take this guy DJR

:eek:  I would NEVER have thought it even remotely possible. Simply amazing.  :clap:

I bet you could take this guy DJR.............

I can't even shoot like a girl!  :blush:  ;) Just look at how FAST they are. With hand eye co-ordination that very few people have. If I break 10/10 clays I immediately quit and tell my kids "that's how it's done" because I know it is about to go wrong. I never managed to break 20 in a row. These girls break 100/100 clays!

Edit: Just click on the "Watch on Youtube" tab to open it. I see the Olympics block it otherwise. 

Edited by DJR

I can't even shoot like a girl!  :blush:  ;) Just look at how FAST they are. With hand eye co-ordination that very few people have. If I break 10/10 clays I immediately quit and tell my kids "that's how it's done" because I know it is about to go wrong. I never managed to break 20 in a row. These girls break 100/100 clays!

Edit: Just click on the "Watch on Youtube" tab to open it. I see the Olympics block it otherwise. 

no matter the sport, when a Olympic athlete breaks records I always get goose bumps!

Edited by Hairy