RIFLE

mon-goose

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The shoulder is padded to absorb some recoil and has loads of pockets to keep spare shells in.

Like Gummy said.

With clay pigeon shooting you tend to shoot lots and after a while, especially if you are not experienced at shouldering and holding the shotgun correctly, that shoulder will get bruised. You don't want to put newbies off by something that is very easy to avoid. On the rifIe range most people never shoot more than 10 or 20 shots in a day. On the shotgun range very few people shoot fewer than 50 shots, often in pretty quick succession. The serious guys will do a couple of hundred shots in practice for competition.

Edited by DJR

I came across these pinned on an old hat of mine, I had a 3rd (gold) one as well, but have no idea where that went. The oldies will know what they are. I no longer recall what scores were required for each. It brought back both great and horrible memories of days spent on the shooting range. Hot, dusty, sweaty, much running around, but also hours of concentration, self control, focus and pride. The irony is that I won all of them with an R5, but I got a "R1" as reward.

post-17716-0-60737300-1598798239_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-10111400-1598798259_thumb.jpg

was planning to get some bullets this week, maybe I should take a drive and check before they go up more

Good idea  :thumbup:

Like Gummy said.

With clay pigeon shooting you tend to shoot lots and after a while, especially if you are not experienced at shouldering and holding the shotgun correctly, that shoulder will get bruised. You don't want to put newbies off by something that is very easy to avoid. On the rifIe range most people never shoot more than 10 or 20 shots in a day. On the shotgun range very few people shoot fewer than 50 shots, often in pretty quick succession. The serious guys will do a couple of hundred shots in practice for competition.

We used to go through boxes and boxes of ammunition when we were kids, mostly BBB rounds as you mentioned due to the ensuing bruising. But we kept each other on our toes by every now and then sneaking a SG round in there to the unexpected party. No more quick, careless shots without proper bracing after that surprise kick.

Slight post lockdown price adjustment  :angry:  :huh:  :cursing:

R18.20 per bang

Edit: Looking at shotgun shells, the shotgun looks to be far more economical to run.

Edited by Hairy

R18.20 per bang

Edit: Looking at shotgun shells, the shotgun looks to be far more economical to run.

And that is just for the point. The powder, primer and brass (which you recycle) also add to the total. I'm not even adding cost of reloading equipment. 

That said, Nosler Partition is like the Mercedes Benz of reloading. Premium quality, German made, reliable and been around for many decades but still right up there.

.270 is a common calibre, so relatively economical to reload and shoot. Try some of the rarer or exotic things and it can quickly go over R100 a shot. 

what calibre?

I went to buy a box of bullets quickly, same price still

.270 Win.

I Can add that I bought them at Safari & Outdoor witch is not a cheap store to shop at.

They were the only place I could find them in stock.

R18.20 per bang

Yes shotgun is far cheaper to run, and loads of fun.

But to hunt Springbok or Impala at 200-300 meters you need a different tool.

Yes shotgun is far cheaper to run, and loads of fun.

But to hunt Springbok or Impala at 200-300 meters you need a different tool.

Fit a good scope and use decent slugs and you could have some luck [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

.270 Win.

I Can add that I bought them at Safari & Outdoor witch is not a cheap store to shop at.

They were the only place I could find them in stock.

not as nice looking as yours but also loaded a few rounds last night. 270 130gr sierra pro hunter.

post-1946-0-43722200-1599215590_thumb.jpeg