RIFLE

mon-goose

On the matter of size it’s like most things in life, a trade off, between capacity and conceal ability and you have to decide which is more important to you and your environment.

Personally I didn’t ever want to be without less than 15 rounds because as someone mentioned it takes more to stop a human than most people understand (most also shoot worse than they think too especially under extreme stress and with a moving target) and the SA crime situation is a lot different to the areas in the world where just showing a gun can change your attackers mind.

But on the other hand my wife needed a pistol that was ultra concealable or it would simply live in the safe and that’s useless.

Another thing to consider is that the smaller the pistol the worse it will handle and the more you should practice with it. Longer slides allow for better recoil springs and a longer sight radius makes it easier to aim.

A lady friend of mine couldn’t shoot the 43 because of wrist operations but was good with a 26 for example.

Also the new 43x has greater capacity than the original 43 and the 48 is nice too if you like slimline pistols.

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the matter of size it’s like most things in life, a trade off, between capacity and conceal ability and you have to decide which is more important to you and your environment.

Personally I didn’t ever want to be without less than 15 rounds because as someone mentioned it takes more to stop a human than most people understand (most also shoot worse than they think too especially under extreme stress and with a moving target) and the SA crime situation is a lot different to the areas in the world where just showing a gun can change your attackers mind.

But on the other hand my wife needed a pistol that was ultra concealable or it would simply live in the safe and that’s useless.

Another thing to consider is that the smaller the pistol the worse it will handle and the more you should practice with it. Longer slides allow for better recoil springs and a longer sight radius makes it easier to aim.

A lady friend of mine couldn’t shoot the 43 because of wrist operations but was good with a 26 for example.

Also the new 43x has greater capacity than the original 43 and the 48 is nice too if you like slimline pistols.

I suspect the possibility of an attacker in SA being on some badly cut drugs while they are attacking you is also a huge probability compared to other countries where there may be less risk of drug abuse by the attacker.

SO I think you all know I know zero about guns .... but damned, at least a shotgun should be able to stop a druggie in his tracks, now just to figure out how to carry one without anyone noticing ... .and I do not think wearing a long trench coat would be considered a practical solution :P

Oh I forgot to mention that access to spares, parts and accessories etc is also really important.

I once waited 8 months for a S&W recoil spring before giving up and selling the pistol because that kind of turn around wasn’t good for me. Likewise when I left I had a customer who had been waiting for CZ sights from the agent for around the same amount of time and they had still not arrived.

Sadly when the Cz agent changed their handguns sparing went to pieces in SA.

The Glock agent however is outstanding and I could typically get any parts within the time it took for the courier to get to me, and they’re easy to install.

Also many customers who went Sig, Walther and various other brands struggled to find things like holsters etc which is rather important.

The industry in SA is not like the US and you are not spoiled for choice with hoards of options available in abundance.

I wrote a general article on selecting a handgun a while ago, but since my website doesn’t exist anymore I’ll see if I have a copy on my laptop.

Bernard Agencies is outstanding with supplying and supporting Glock pistols, parts and accessories. I Know and deal with Terrick, very helpful guy with heaps of knowledge.

Something that stuck with me during the classroom sessions was when we were talking about which handgun that he said people often make the is to think their wives should just have something small but he would disagree that a lady esp should have something that will stop an attacker and have more rounds because until you have been in the situation you really don't know how accurate your shot will be and as you said above one shot won't necessarily stop the perpetrator..

I found the classroom sessions very informative ..keep in mind I know f all about guns so everything was informative.

Then I want to ask about a gun safe.. now the safe we have meets all the legal requirements but that damn safe has tricky lock by the time I can get the key and eventually open it it wil be far too late.

What should I look at getting.

Edited by Gen

This was a bit of a giggle amongst the newer generation of us in the trade [emoji1]

With many older generation men in particular thinking that women are somehow less capable they often try and push women in that direction which made our eyes roll............

I get that and I certainly don't underestimate women (I have had my ass kicked too often to make that mistake) .

The reason I ask is that, looking at Mrs DJR, I sometimes wonder...........she dislikes mechanical things and never has an easy relationship with them. I know she takes advantage of us boys by letting us change the flat tyre and fix the broken tap, but when she simply rode her mtb in one gear because she hated the "bloody shifter doing things to the gears that I don't want", I decided that perhaps it isn't all a damsel in distress show. If a thing can be reasoned with, emotionally understood and made to change its ways, then she will get it to work. Its just that those mechanical machines don't care about her approach.

Oh boy, if she sees this she is going to key my favourite Colnago.

Edited by DJR

I get that and I certainly don't underestimate women (I have had my ass kicked too often to make that mistake) .

The reason I ask is that, looking at Mrs DJR, I sometimes wonder...........she dislikes mechanical things and never has an easy relationship with them. I know she takes advantage of us boys by letting us change the flat tyre and fix the broken tap, but when she simply rode her mtb in one gear because she hated the "bloody shifter doing things to the gears that I don't want", I decided that perhaps it isn't all a damsel in distress show. If a thing can be reasoned with, emotionally understood and made to change its ways, then she will get it to work. Its just that those mechanical machines don't care about her approach.

Ha ha ha I had s good laugh now.

Something that stuck with me during the classroom sessions was when we were talking about which handgun that he said people often make the is to think their wives should just have something small but he would disagree that a lady esp should have something that will stop an attacker and have more rounds because until you have been in the situation you really don't know how accurate your shot will be and as you said above one shot won't necessarily stop the perpetrator..

I found the classroom sessions very informative ..keep in mind I know f all about guns so everything was informative.

Then I want to ask about a gun safe.. now the safe we have meets all the legal requirements but that damn safe has tricky lock by the time I can get the key and eventually open it it wil be far too late.

What should I look at getting.

Yeah I don’t think gender has anything to do with guns, and everyone should have the gun with the highest capacity and longest sight radius that they can make work for their situation regardless of gender. By “make work” I mean for whatever purpose they intend using it and the circumstances around that, and it’s not uncommon for people to have different options depending on what they’re doing that day or what they are wearing etc - but that’s a different story [emoji1]

On the gun safe I’m probably going to give you an answer that you’re not going to like, but it’s my view based on a lot of real world information.

I’ll start with this, many people have died on their knees while trying to get their gun out of the safe and others never even get the opportunity to get to the safe; many attacks are over in such a short space of time that it’s not possible and if you’re unfortunate enough to be in a long detention situation then your windows of opportunity or chances of creating any are seriously reduced if not completely gone.

What I would recommend to you is this.

A defensive gun belongs on your person at all times.

People who carry and practice good disciplines with them regularly are more familiar and safer with them than someone who hasn’t seen it in months and can’t remember how it works or how to practice good safe handling.

I understand though that this isn’t for everyone and so then what I would suggest is this, decide which is your perceived time of greatest threat (like 18:00 to 07:00 for example) and take it out and return it at those times, always remembering to practice safe handling.

On safe handling I would have a trusted someone watch you do it every day for a while to ensure that you keep a safe direction etc until it becomes a habit, it can be quite unnatural and it’s only through many repetitions of good practice that you will get there.

[emoji1] I hear you.

My wife used to just shake her head at the idea of double action/ single action or if there were levers like decockers or heaven forbid a safety she would be completely disinterested in figuring it out - I say that because I’m sure she is smart enough if she really wanted to.

That’s one of the reasons she loved her Glock, slide release and mag release are all the buttons on there.

Of course training is key with whatever tool one chooses and she can clear double feeds, stovepipes etc no problem after a little training and work at the range.

She didn’t enjoy it much so I used to take her with me every 3 months or so to make sure that her skills hadn’t perished too much.

Safe handling and operating is absolutely key with these things and the skill is perishable.

Here’s a link to one article I wrote a little while back for this website, and I think its well worth reading and remembering.

I’m afraid that while I’m a bloody good instructor I’m pretty bad at writing things in an interesting way but it’s not too long a piece [emoji12]

https://paratus.info/2017/08/25/what-is-the-difference-between-training-and-practice/

This is helpful.

I was thinking that I should perhaps join a club here..shooting just a few times in order to be competent for the license is pointless as then the firearm will be put away and the day I need it I have forgotten how to use it and end up in a panic because it hasn't become second nature that would just be dangerous.. I read up about the tactical sport side of it. That would take a lot of practice so I would become very familiar with handling a gun safely...what would your opinion be on something like that.

Your input is really appreciated btw.

Edited by Gen

This is helpful.

I was thinking that I should perhaps join a club here..shooting just a few times in order to be competent for the license is pointless as then the firearm will be put away and the day I need it I have forgotten how to use it and end up in a panic because it hasn't become second nature that would just be dangerous.. I read up about the tactical sport side of it. That would take a lot of practice so I would become very familiar with handling a gun safely...what would your opinion be on something like that.

Your input is really appreciated btw.

Firstly well done on your attitude to being competent and responsible [emoji1319]

I think that would be outstanding and something I highly recommend. The shooting sports have very strict rules that are usually well enforced and those safe practices are excellent and the repetitions of good handling will only serve you well. It’s also a good place to learn (just know who is talking crap and who is worth sticking with) from others.

The two biggest disciplines of their kind in SA are IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) and IPSC (International Practical Shooting Confederation).

They both share similar safety standards and are great in their own way but I typically suggest a year of IDPA as a start as it can be shot completely with your everyday kit and the pace tends to be a bit slower so it’s a nice way to ease into the sports.

Which area of SA are you in?

Ah, Klerksdorp. I don’t have any contacts there for you but I can enquire for you if you like.

Edited by The Ghost

Firstly well done on your attitude to being competent and responsible [emoji1319]

I think that would be outstanding and something I highly recommend. The shooting sports have very strict rules that are usually well enforced and those safe practices are excellent and the repetitions of good handling will only serve you well. It’s also a good place to learn (just know who is talking crap and who is worth sticking with) from others.

The two biggest disciplines of their kind in SA are IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) and IPSC (International Practical Shooting Confederation).

They both share similar safety standards and are great in their own way but I typically suggest a year of IDPA as a start as it can be shot completely with your everyday kit and the pace tends to be a bit slower so it’s a nice way to ease into the sports.

Which area of SA are you in?

Ah, Klerksdorp. I don’t have any contacts there for you but I can enquire for you if you like.

Yes my biggest fear is I mess up and someone gets hurt so I would rather commit to actively being involved in a sport discipline, that way I know I have to practice have and have to continue learning.

If you do know someone that knows someone in the area that would be even better.

Yes my biggest fear is I mess up and someone gets hurt so I would rather commit to actively being involved in a sport discipline, that way I know I have to practice have and have to continue learning.

If you do know someone that knows someone in the area that would be even better.

ALWAYS stick to the 4 rules of safe gun handling and you will be fine [emoji1303]

I’ll chat to someone and come back to you.

ALWAYS stick to the 4 rules of safe gun handling and you will be fine [emoji1303]

I’ll chat to someone and come back to you.

Thx

I just did my practical..I can load a magazine, shoot a target and sort out a misfire ..full marks [emoji1787]

My arm is a bit lame now, 50 rounds in total. [emoji3061]

Edit

Oh I did have a chat with them about the sport side of things.. they have monthly training where they set up a course in different situations, lighting etc.

Must say the Instructor was really nice quite patient with me at the range (Indoor range) and all my questions (so weird finding out I was one of his matrics when he was in St 6). Found loading the magazine a bit tricky in the beginning until I figured out my own little technique then could load it a lot easier ..slid right in..

After course service really nice.. he will go with me to test a few different handguns to get the right fit. I used a pistol today...now he did tell me which make but all I could remember that it is like a Berretta .. okay I was nervous..[emoji2356]

Edited by Gen

Oh I forgot to mention that access to spares, parts and accessories etc is also really important.

I once waited 8 months for a S&W recoil spring before giving up and selling the pistol because that kind of turn around wasn’t good for me. Likewise when I left I had a customer who had been waiting for CZ sights from the agent for around the same amount of time and they had still not arrived.

Sadly when the Cz agent changed their handguns sparing went to pieces in SA.

The Glock agent however is outstanding and I could typically get any parts within the time it took for the courier to get to me, and they’re easy to install.

Also many customers who went Sig, Walther and various other brands struggled to find things like holsters etc which is rather important.

The industry in SA is not like the US and you are not spoiled for choice with hoards of options available in abundance.

I wrote a general article on selecting a handgun a while ago, but since my website doesn’t exist anymore I’ll see if I have a copy on my laptop.

What do you think of Girsan? The MC28 doesn't seem a bad option for R7k odd...as I am rapidly finding out there is also a decent holster and gun belt to consider no matter what you buy so that's another R2k odd on top... I can't afford R12 or R13k for a Glock 19 and then all the needed accessories...But as you mentioned spares and making sure whatever you buy is the right option first time round rather than trying to change later on...

https://www.classicarms.co.za/products/110/9mmP-Girsan-MC28-Pistol

Edited by Mojoman