Wahoo Kickr Owners

awesme

On 10/18/2022 at 3:19 PM, Christian van Zyl said:

Hello All, 

Christian here from Wahoo SA. 

Happy to engage on this thread. Certain products are unable to be fixed, but all products carry a warrantee as long as the original proof of purchase can be supplied. This is important for various logical reasons. 

This is a standard in the industry and across brands, we are in no way unique in this fact. One thing we pride ourselves in is after market support and takes the side of the customer within reason. Other threads can speak to this. 

We do assist with some replacement parts like belts which can be purchased from us for KICKR products, the CLIMB's however can not be replaced and has to go through a warrantee process. Second hand purchases can create a situation where we can not confirm when it was initially purchased, age of the product or if it was used in the correct manner for the duration of the lifecycle. 

We have KICKR products in the market for over 11 years now and giving excellent value to their users after all these years. 

Should there be anyone who wants to engage with me directly, please feel free to DM me. Or call our support team at 0876541940. We work closely with Wahoo HQ to resolve issues or queries. We are always willing to discuss. 

Your local Wahooligan 

Christian 

i don't want to bad mouth Wahoo but i had an issue with my Core (second-hand) and the support i received was not great at all. My thread is on the Hub about the issue i was experiencing. In the end i landed up tossing my Core in the bin. 

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/30/2022 at 4:03 PM, cadenceblur said:

Wow. That's BS. At R12k. I'll take my chances on a repair 

Apparently the belt needs to be a certain tension once replaced.

2 minutes ago, slickjay007 said:

i don't want to bad mouth Wahoo but i had an issue with my Core (second-hand) and the support i received was not great at all. My thread is on the Hub about the issue i was experiencing. In the end i landed up tossing my Core in the bin. 

Not arguing with the services you received.... But will counter that and say I've had nothing but amazing service from @Christian van Zyl and his team, to the point that I've probably had more that 20 friends buy units from him.

G

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the 148/142mm boost adapters and mounted my Orbea MTB to the trainer. Hub is either microspline or HG so it went straight on. 

I assume it is as simple as installing the part with the 148/142mm writing on it on the non-drive side and the small part that slips over the axle of the Kickr. 

Then pop the bike on and install the axle. Should I worry about the 148/142 part just sitting loose and the axle supporting everything? 

Edited by Steady Spin

On 9/25/2021 at 7:40 PM, thebob said:

Honestly, I think there is a market for a kit for Kickr owners (for units out of warranty) to remove and reinstall bearings. That way we could get a set of proper NSK, SKF or FAG bearings and not have to worry for ages about them crapping out. 

Can only imagine how much it's costing Wahoo to replace these instead of forking out a bit more for proper bearings. Penny wise pound foolish.

• 3 weeks later...

@Christian van Zyl

Hi Christian. Not really looking for support, but hopefully an answer. My right shifter on my KickrBike stopped working. I have unplugged and changed ports, but it makes no difference. Do you know if this is a bike issue or something to do with the shifter?

42C6A13A-11BA-4B5D-8988-DA8B15D39CB7.png

On 11/29/2022 at 4:48 PM, sirmoun10goat said:

@Christian van Zyl

Hi Christian. Not really looking for support, but hopefully an answer. My right shifter on my KickrBike stopped working. I have unplugged and changed ports, but it makes no difference. Do you know if this is a bike issue or something to do with the shifter?

42C6A13A-11BA-4B5D-8988-DA8B15D39CB7.png

Hi Sirmoun, please feel free to reach out to our support team on 0876541940. It might be a simply fix... you can also log a ticket on www.wahoofitness.co.za 

• 9 months later...

I am thinking of getting of buying the wahoo kickr core and have a couple of questions. Skimming through this thread it seems there are some reliability issues (belt and bearing failure seem common) but provided you are within warranty period then it's replaced (or less likely, fixed). The unhappy customers mostly seem like people who are outside of warranty and have no choice but get rid of their unit because, say, the belt has failed. Which is fair enough,I'd be annoyed. But I'm just trying to work out my own worst case scenario: which is that I pay R12K for a new one and have 2 good years, after which the warranty expires and I may be up a creek if something goes wrong. This is risk I'm prepared to take; I would have paid that to have a nice indoor trainer given the winter we've had in the cape.

I'm just trying to work out if there are any other pitfalls I should be aware of, particularly if buying the kickr core. They seem to be discounted at most stores. It might just be one of those falsely inflated prices tricks that nobody falls for (Was R10 Million, now only R12K) but it may be because they are becoming obsolete for some reason I'm not aware of, or a known fault, etc.

So I just wanted feedback: are most people generally happy with their Kickr cores? Would you buy something different if you had the chance? I see myself wanting to subscribe to one of the bigger apps (Zwift, Rouvy) - I take it plays nicely with all of these? Is local wahoo support good?

Been a happy Kickr user for the last 4 years. One unit replaced cause bearings crapped. The local guys had my new unit with me within a few days after submitting a claim on their system, no questions asked. If the bearings go again I'll find an engineering works to fit some new ones cause I'm out of the warranty period now. The belt is a generic item that can be sourced a lot cheaper than the official Wahoo agents. I'd love tp get the new Kickr Move, but there is still loads of life in my current Kickr. I've used mine with Zwift, Sufferfest and a few other apps with no issues around compatibility at all

29 minutes ago, NickGM said:

I am thinking of getting of buying the wahoo kickr core and have a couple of questions. Skimming through this thread it seems there are some reliability issues (belt and bearing failure seem common) but provided you are within warranty period then it's replaced (or less likely, fixed). The unhappy customers mostly seem like people who are outside of warranty and have no choice but get rid of their unit because, say, the belt has failed. Which is fair enough,I'd be annoyed. But I'm just trying to work out my own worst case scenario: which is that I pay R12K for a new one and have 2 good years, after which the warranty expires and I may be up a creek if something goes wrong. This is risk I'm prepared to take; I would have paid that to have a nice indoor trainer given the winter we've had in the cape.

I'm just trying to work out if there are any other pitfalls I should be aware of, particularly if buying the kickr core. They seem to be discounted at most stores. It might just be one of those falsely inflated prices tricks that nobody falls for (Was R10 Million, now only R12K) but it may be because they are becoming obsolete for some reason I'm not aware of, or a known fault, etc.

So I just wanted feedback: are most people generally happy with their Kickr cores? Would you buy something different if you had the chance? I see myself wanting to subscribe to one of the bigger apps (Zwift, Rouvy) - I take it plays nicely with all of these? Is local wahoo support good?

I've had my original unit (my unit) ... hmm 7+yrs now... not a single second of problems, 2nd unit is going on 5 yrs (wives unit), this was a refurbished unit, bought 2nd hand from Dion Guy at the time, same, no no problems, ever.

will confess when I bought my original, it's a Gen one, the original reed based units, I had a unexplained problem, Wahoo SA swopped it out, no questions, what so ever, 
and will add had nothing but amazing service from @Christian van Zyl.
I've probably bought/help sell/got friends to buy another 10, if I count quick, and none of them as had no problems either.

As for price, they've actually been pretty stable through the years, if I was to think about my original price and the current prices, 

these units are bullet proof.
I've always used mine with TrainerRoad. My wife tried Swift for a month and did not like it, have a couple of other friends on TR, Ruvy and Zwift, etc, .

As I've told many people, my Kickr was the absolute best investment I've ever made in my riding.

8yrs ltr, still sticking to it.

this is one purchase you can make, will not regret it and don't need to be scared.

G

Edited by awesme

Anyone would be miffed if after 2 years and out of warranty their premium trainer gives up the ghost and is unrepairable, if the belt and bearings can be sorted though, I guess that does provide some comfort.

55 minutes ago, awesme said:

I've had my original unit (my unit) ... hmm 7+yrs now... not a single second of problems, 2nd unit is going on 5 yrs (wives unit), this was a refurbished unit, bought 2nd hand from Dion Guy at the time, same, no no problems, ever.

will confess when I bought my original, it's a Gen one, the original reed based units, I had a unexplained problem, Wahoo SA swopped it out, no questions, what so ever, 
and will add had nothing but amazing service from @Christian van Zyl.
I've probably bought/help sell/got friends to buy another 10, if I count quick, and none of them as had no problems either.

As for price, they've actually been pretty stable through the years, if I was to think about my original price and the current prices, 

these units are bullet proof.
I've always used mine with TrainerRoad. My wife tried Swift for a month and did not like it, have a couple of other friends on TR, Ruvy and Zwift, etc, .

As I've told many people, my Kickr was the absolute best investment I've ever made in my riding.

8yrs ltr, still sticking to it.

this is one purchase you can make, will not regret it and don't need to be scared.

G

Your answer reminded me of something I forgot to ask. In all likelihood, my wife will want to use the kickr as well. Our bikes are both 11s shimano with quick release, so I will buy a new shimano 11s cassette for the trainer. I know it's better to let one chain and cassette wear down together, but putting that aside, swapping bikes out from time to time should be too much of a hassle right?

1 hour ago, NickGM said:

Two Kickr Cores, two in the bin, both lasted 3 years, often used, then popped, unrepairable. Both times it was the motherboard. Replaced with a Tacx, outlasting the Core's so far. This is my objective reality, nothing emotional. Love Wahoo products, HR belt lasting much longer than any of my previous Garmin belts.

15 minutes ago, NickGM said:

Your answer reminded me of something I forgot to ask. In all likelihood, my wife will want to use the kickr as well. Our bikes are both 11s shimano with quick release, so I will buy a new shimano 11s cassette for the trainer. I know it's better to let one chain and cassette wear down together, but putting that aside, swapping bikes out from time to time should be too much of a hassle right?

Easy peasy. Did it for 4 yrs before I got my wife her own unit.

G

16 minutes ago, Trackz said:

Two Kickr Cores, two in the bin, both lasted 3 years, often used, then popped, unrepairable. Both times it was the motherboard. Replaced with a Tacx, outlasting the Core's so far. This is my objective reality, nothing emotional. Love Wahoo products, HR belt lasting much longer than any of my previous Garmin belts.

What’s your life span on the HR belts. I’m about due for another again.

interesting I find my HR is suddenly abnormal low for effort then I know it’s call to Chris time.

G

41 minutes ago, Trackz said:

Useful feedback, thanks. What tacx model did you go for?