So what are you training for?

I have been asked this question SOOOO many times, especially in the last little while.

Like last Saturday I stopped at the Lion and Rhino park on the Cradle to fill up my water bottles and started talking to 2 other ladies that just arrived after a run and they asked my how far am I riding today so I said "just 100km today". I obviously said "just" because for most of the previous weekends I was doing 165km+ rides and they asked me "so what are you training for?".............I said "just for fitness and sanity"  :blush:

Some mornings I walk up the stairs at work a bit difficult due to tired legs and people at work will ask me what's up so I will say "legs are a bit tired from MTB ride yesterday afternoon and a road ride this morning" and it will be followed with a "so what are you training for?"

I obviously always say "nothing, just ride for fun and sanity".

I need cycling (exercise) in my life, 2 days without any and I can feel myself get depressed and slide into this 'bitchy' attitude towards most people. 

Then on another topic (but similar line)....

I have met a few riders the last little while (actually my one sibling included) that has coaches, training plans and special diets worked out for them...but they are not getting results. Like I will invite them to a ride and the reply will be "sorry I can not, I need to do 3 hours today at 'this' pace" (slower than what my lazy rides are). I then go ride with them on another occasion and it leaves me thinking "why do you have a coach? What are they actually doing?"

So how many people actually still just ride for fun?

Or is all your riding actually training?

And what is your end goal?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

June : Outeniqua Quest Extreme (132km trail run)

July : The Washie (160km road run)

August : Trans Baviaans (No.9)

I should add that I do these events purely for the adventure and the sense of accomplishment and the feeling of catharsis after completing something like this.

I train and ride my bike, for the same reason Hayley does, to enjoy nature and one's health and to stay sane. The fitness gained and the occasional good result in a race is a side benefit, not the goal. Can't think I've in almost 20 years ever TRAINED to improve my placing in a race. Improvement is a side benefit of just doing what you love.

twofold objective: fun and to keep beating myself. I have a competitive side that needs feeding, even if off the humble goal of doing better than my last attempt.

For me, most if the time it's for fun. I obviously want to get better and faster which comes with time, dedication and specific training.

I have been asked this question SOOOO many times, especially in the last little while.

Like last Saturday I stopped at the Lion and Rhino park on the Cradle to fill up my water bottles and started talking to 2 other ladies that just arrived after a run and they asked my how far am I riding today so I said "just 100km today". I obviously said "just" because for most of the previous weekends I was doing 165km+ rides and they asked me "so what are you training for?".............I said "just for fitness and sanity"  :blush:

Some mornings I walk up the stairs at work a bit difficult due to tired legs and people at work will ask me what's up so I will say "legs are a bit tired from MTB ride yesterday afternoon and a road ride this morning" and it will be followed with a "so what are you training for?"

I obviously always say "nothing, just ride for fun and sanity".

I need cycling (exercise) in my life, 2 days without any and I can feel myself get depressed and slide into this 'bitchy' attitude towards most people. 

Then on another topic (but similar line)....

I have met a few riders the last little while (actually my one sibling included) that has coaches, training plans and special diets worked out for them...but they are not getting results. Like I will invite them to a ride and the reply will be "sorry I can not, I need to do 3 hours today at 'this' pace" (slower than what my lazy rides are). I then go ride with them on another occasion and it leaves me thinking "why do you have a coach? What are they actually doing?"

So how many people actually still just ride for fun?

Or is all your riding actually training?

And what is your end goal?

I ride for fun and that is my training too. Usually ride 3 times a week and I've never understood the term "junk miles"! How can it be junk if its fun?

End goal.....to keep progressing.

For example, after Sani2C in 3 weeks time....nothing will change. I keep riding like I always do and who knows what event I'll enter next.

The best are the clever chirps like:

"you just cycled 100km?, you should have phoned me, I would have given you a lift"

OR

"don't you have your drivers licence?"

Funnily enough, they always seem to come from the "horizontally challenged" people...

"you just cycled 100km?, you should have phoned me, I would have given you a lift"

OR

Funnily enough, they always seem to come from the "horizontally challenged" people...

or....did you ride a 100km's on purpose. Hahaha....yawn

OR

We regularly have boardroom meetings with the higher up execs. One time a consultant (clearly unfit as f**k) chirped, "Why would you/ride run if something isn't chasing you?" I didn't laugh. Another guy in the office regularly says "You know the internal combustion engine has come to stay...".

They don't get it.

To beat myself, and have fun. 

Latest goal is to do the half Oceans next year. Main goal though is to be generally fitter and more healthy. But that's not WHY I train. I train for the pain (DOMS) and I train for the feeling I get whilst I'm training. That high. The hard breathing. The new records. To beat myself all the time. And so that, when I get to the office in the mornings and climb the stairs, I can think to myself - Ah, last night's session was a good one - when I feel the burn. 

I mostly commute which turns into the bulk of my training. Commuting is super rad in that the wins are generally that you take less time than peak traffic. You don't need to find the extra hour or two you spend commuting\training to go on a training ride later or before work and you generally arrive at work and home after spending some time doing something you enjoy in a far better space! That besides the other soft wins like not having to pay for parking your car in the city or fuel to get it there and back! Pick at least 5 - 6 events a year I put all the training to use in and enjoy them for what they are on the day! Currently entered to run the Cape Town Marathon so I've started 'commuting' by running shoe once a week too, just to add up some running time and mileage in the legs!

*I am not a nice person without daily exercise of some sort!

My end goal is to never ever be an unfit out of shape lazy SOB irrespective of how many days I get on this ball.

'ItsWhatHeDoes' is what my wife tells people who ask ....

For my sanity and health, helps that I get a lot of pleasure out of it  :thumbup: - going on 27 years now  :eek:

I ride for improvement...to get lighter...healthier and faster...than my present being.

what drives me...knowing that there are others out there who dont have the ability to just get up climb on a bike and go for a ride...or even just walk to the fridge and get a cold beer...be it physical or mental disabilities. 

What inspires me to want to cycle more...people who help make it easier for others...like a ride a couple weekends ago...i judged a person by his look...kitted to the tee...real smooth looking...i could see by his appearance he was an old time cyclist...he didnt say much...just cruised along with us...we started climbing the marine drive hill on the bluff...i was near the back and there was a slightly bigger fella than me riding at the back...when i got to the top of the hill and looked back this smooth loking person had actually pushed/assisted  the bigger fella all the way up the hill and every hill after that...wow... all i am gona say is kudos to Calvin ( i found his name on strava after the ride)...thank you...you certainly made my day.

Archived