The Upgrade Bug

popcorn_skollie

As anecdotal as Rouxtjie's comment may have been I think the man raises a valid point. 

I can be pretty stoked when I get home after some time out at the beach or trails.

Sometimes I'm so high on stoke I come home and say things like.

Hey, lets book tickets for that chick flick you wanted to go see with your friends. Just you and me. I'm sure my mom wont mind watching the kids tonight. 

I said it tongue in cheek...but ja, it holds some truth...you need to allow yourself something nice too sometimes.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trust me when I say that I know exactly what you are talking about. Family comes first.

Spoiling the wife and kids far outweighs any bike part in my book. I just feel like that goes without saying. For any of us for that matter.

The same with our time. The fact that most of us wake up before dawn to squeeze a ride in so we can be home early enough to spend most of the day with our families is testament to that. The ridiculously priced doll that made your daughters eyes light up in the toy store. Only for her toss it aside about a few days later. That dress and matching shoes you can't even pronounce. The wife had you spend hours slogging bags around only for her to wear it once and tell you a few weeks down the line...I have nothing to wear. But this isn't about them is it? She wants those shoes as much as I want this stem. Maybe even for the same trivial reason.

As anecdotal as Rouxtjie's comment may have been I think the man raises a valid point. 

I can be pretty stoked when I get home after some time out at the beach or trails.

Sometimes I'm so high on stoke I come home and say things like.

Hey, lets book tickets for that chick flick you wanted to go see with your friends. Just you and me. I'm sure my mom wont mind watching the kids tonight. 

so philosophical, man... 

And agreed 100%

aaaaah, that is a lot more in line with the Gregg I know. LOL.

Me - looking at an early Hilux / Isuzu 320 / nissan hardbody v6 / ford v6. 

Thought you were looking for one of these (know of one that might be in the market soon :whistling: ):

post-33762-0-03095900-1461679994_thumb.png

Thought you were looking for one of these (know of one that might be in the market soon :whistling: ):

To sell ice cream? Sure.

I have a Hilux for personal shenanigans. Old but reliable.

I have to say though I wish it was 4WD. Can't shuttle helderberg without one.

Thought you were looking for one of these (know of one that might be in the market soon :whistling: ):

I was, in double cab format. But then I thought of the practicalities of servicing a 40 year old platform and as much as the engines themselves being okay to service (you can put pretty much anything in there) the rest of the things are a bit too rare to allow this to be a daily driver. If I find one in good nick with a good engine though....

Add to this. Good luck finding a syncro in this guise. 4x4 bakkies are plentiful

Man I'm suffering from this bug. Bought my bike second hand right here on the hub last year, cos well I can't afford new, and when I got it I knew there were things I needed to add / upgrade.

Now I'm finally at the point where all I need to finish her is a shorter stem, or so I thought… but I'm already having dreams of an oval narrow wide, would be nice to up the rear rotor to 180mm etc etc... I just can't stop.

All this while trying to maintain and service her suspension, pivots, etc etc… never mind the fact that I'd love to upgrade to a beefier bike altogether.

Where will it end ?

Always remember that mtb stuff does not last forever, so if you can, buy everything you need right now for your entire life of riding because with the junk status and Rand crashing whatever you buy now will pay for itself in the future. That`s my excuse and I`m sticking with it.

I just bought a new brake set for my Anthem so that I have "better stopping power". I live in the flattest country in the world!  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:

Hi my name is Jacques and I am an addict.  

I was, in double cab format. But then I thought of the practicalities of servicing a 40 year old platform and as much as the engines themselves being okay to service (you can put pretty much anything in there) the rest of the things are a bit too rare to allow this to be a daily driver. If I find one in good nick with a good engine though....

Add to this. Good luck finding a syncro in this guise. 4x4 bakkies are plentiful

I said with tongue squarely in cheek on the upgrade tread - my experience with my triumph spitfire is exactly what you said re 40 yo vehicle not a good daily ride. I am learning a lot about getting and keeping that car running...

Its my only weakness. I am a serial bike builder.

So i snagged a good deal on a frame for the wife's bike - a Momsen hardtail which was too small so got her a large. the plan was just to give the old frame away.

But then the little men started work in my head and overnight i realized i have about 70% of a new bike now i have a frame.

And of course you need a hardtail training bike to go with the 7 others.

I just needed some more bits.

Once that was authorised by the gatekeeper in my head that normally keeps upgrade-itis under control, then all hell broke loose. I have road wheels, MTB wheels, forks, cranks, brakes etc all over .

And then i get guilty and give it all away again once i have completed the project.

I just get a kick out of building bikes....

Never.

Its the truth.

Now make peace with knowing that and soldier on.

I fear that is indeed the truth

I have the disease something terrible. So much so that I have to refrain from just looking in the classifieds I buy stuff that I don't need at all but want it because I just do. One thing I have done is just except the fact that as Myles said "I am a serial upgrader "

My justification is that I don't spend my money on anything else,I have no other hobbies. I don't drink or smoke,so it's ok to blow any spare cash on what makes me happy,riding.

Well that's my story anyway.

Oh and it never subsides so why fight it. Even when I make a pact with mates that I won't build for the rest of the year.

Damn I love building bikes.

Hmm so you have a spare 50mm stem, you do know you can build a bike around that! [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived