RIP: The ability to overtake on an MTB

I went past a very slow SAP truck today....it was transporting a whole bunch of prisoners. I didn't say a word...

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went past a very slow SAP truck today....it was transporting a whole bunch of prisoners. I didn't say a word...

Was it full of naughty software users?

When I hear someone coming down or up I will move to the left but reading through this there's a couple of guys who might be good at cycling but if you hit my bar or anything that could cause me to fall you better be good at boxing!

When I hear someone coming down or up I will move to the left but reading through this there's a couple of guys who might be good at cycling but if you hit my bar or anything that could cause me to fall you better be good at boxing!

Now that is the kind of sensible advice that really works on trails. Love your work :-)

Dude, why so angry?

Enjoy the ride - falling is part of cycling :w00t:

Falling is different to being "pushed off" by a knobhead though isn't it?

:-)

This thread has been hugely entertaining. It has highlighted that certain riders certainly have lost their manners along with the ability to overtake:

We went for a coffee on the freezing Spruit at the Trailhead on Sunday morning. (Those breakfast ciabattas are awesome).

Even with the cold the Spruit was pretty busy. As we were heading back towards Delta we approached a family that was doing a slow jog.

When we were about 30-meters away a kid came belting down past the pylons on his MTB towards the joggers.

This kid literally had two tracks to choose from and the width of a rugby field to pass on the right yet he bore down on the family whilst screeching “TRACK!” until his little voice broke.

As the family scattered the runt passed through their group without braking and barked “TRACK!” again for good measure

We passed the family as they were regrouping and muttered our apologies for that one idiot that spoils it for everyone else.

If people act like this on the Spruit can you imagine how much fun they are during a race?

This thread has been hugely entertaining. It has highlighted that certain riders certainly have lost their manners along with the ability to overtake:

We went for a coffee on the freezing Spruit at the Trailhead on Sunday morning. (Those breakfast ciabattas are awesome).

Even with the cold the Spruit was pretty busy. As we were heading back towards Delta we approached a family that was doing a slow jog.

When we were about 30-meters away a kid came belting down past the pylons on his MTB towards the joggers.

This kid literally had two tracks to choose from and the width of a rugby field to pass on the right yet he bore down on the family whilst screeching “TRACK!” until his little voice broke.

As the family scattered the runt passed through their group without braking and barked “TRACK!” again for good measure

We passed the family as they were regrouping and muttered our apologies for that one idiot that spoils it for everyone else.

If people act like this on the Spruit can you imagine how much fun they are during a race?

This is what I was trying to say - they have forgotten how to overtake and haven't been taught it at all. Where do you think he learned that?

So after much thinking I realized that MTBing isn't like sprint racing. That is BMX, 4 Cross etc etc. That is where you will potentially learn to brake, carve a tighter line, carry more or less speed into a corner, double a jump etc to get past someone. You are competing with others in a sprint.

So unless you have done that stuff you don't understand how to do it, which is actually racing technique. That is pretty sad actually but so be it. You don't need it to ride and MTB - it's more about endurance and fitness etc on climbs. 

If you have done that stuff and rode BMX as a kid it's likely you have crazy technical skills.

But MTB by and large you tell someone where you are when you pass, wait for a wider track or do some sort of negotiation.

Its almost like people dont know how to pass others (hence the line astern when the dirt roadies are in town) or are too scared to try.

And they think that yelling "Track" is how you overtake people....

Passing someone is like a box of choclates: you never know what you going to get.

Yelling track is a big no-no.

So now, I ride until I am close enough, pick my line: "Passing right!" Followed by a passing right manouvre and lastly topped of with a "Fank you"

If you indicate to early that you are passing right for example, the oke you intend to pass will look to his left and sometimes run of course while looking left.

Even worse is when you go passing right and the oke moves to his right.

Passing in single track is always difficult.

I get close enough and then go: "buddy, when you can move over, may I pass?"

Half the time I get: "f... you!!! Where do you expect me to go?????" I just roll my eyes.

Or you get the okes that just ignore you flat out, untill you actually do find a spot to pass and then mumbles something as you go by.

You always feel like an ass when you want to pass.

Turn around. Every now and then I get a little bit lonely and you're never coming round. Turn around. Every now and then I get a little bit tired of listening to the sound of my tears. 

Turn around. Every now and then I get a little bit nervous that the best of all my years have gone by. Turn around. Every now and then I get a little bit terrified and then I see the look in your eyes. Turn around, bright eyes. Every now and then I fall apart. Turn Around, bright eyes

Every now and then I fall apart. 

Turn around. Every now and then I get a little bit lonely and you're never coming round. Turn around. Every now and then I get a little bit tired of listening to the sound of my tears.

Turn around. Every now and then I get a little bit nervous that the best of all my years have gone by. Turn around. Every now and then I get a little bit terrified and then I see the look in your eyes. Turn around, bright eyes. Every now and then I fall apart. Turn Around, bright eyes

Every now and then I fall apart.

even If the guy ahead of you thinks the sun shines out of his, it is NEVER appropriate to sing 'Total Eclipse of the Arse'

And I need you now tonight
And I need you more than ever
And if you only hold me tight
We'll be holding on forever
And we'll only be making it right
'Cause we'll never be wrong
Together we can take it to the end of the line
Your love is like a shadow on me all of the time
(All of the time)
I don't know what to do and I'm always in the dark
We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks
I really need you tonight
Forever's gonna start tonight

even If the guy ahead of you thinks the sun shines out of his, it is NEVER appropriate to sing 'Total Eclipse of the Arse'

Don't worry, Thor. I'm never gonna give you up... 

Archived