gummibear

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you see the splits .....

A 3:10/km run after a 45km/hr bike ride is insane

unbelievable run splits, suggests they were messing around on the bike (45km/h notwithstanding).

edit: seems Frodeno & Brownlee (with a little help from Kanute & Appleton) hammered the bike while Gomez & 3 others sat in/hung on. Amazing.

Jan Frodeno’s 66:34 equates to a sub 2:20 marathon; add 10mins for the heat at Kona and he could still smash Mark Allen’s sub 2:40 marathon course record.

Frodeno, Brownlee & Gomez just moved the bar up from high jump to pole vault.

Edited by amr63

amr63, on 02 Sept 2018 - 3:11 PM, said:

Well done shaper...

attachicon.gif6DBD198B-D2E0-4799-A435-E4A06DA4FFA2.jpeg

Not so well done.... am broken after today's race which is unusual for me! But I knew today was going to be a long day and a sub 5:30 (my goal) highly unlikely.

Apart from the conditions which was not what was hoping for, made the race particularly tough.  The better conditions were early morning and if you had one, the wind was in your favour. Being a tailwind on both the out and back.

In a brief race report, my day did not start well, woke early also with a stomach bug and had been to the loo 5 times before we hit the beach.  My start time was at 9am and there was an easterly blowing which made the swim choppy, great for the pro's who had started at 7:30am.  The chop made it difficult to sight and found my swim wandering, so not a great swim I felt.

By the time I was on the bike that easterly wind had become a westerly, so headwind all the way to the turn around, but was struggling to put any power down on the cycle, am guessing the stomach bug played it's part.  At least I could look forward to a tailwind on the home leg, but alas the wind turned again and had another headwind all the way back and to add insult to injury the odd rain shower made sure I knew the weather was around!!

In April I did the first part of the bike leg in 2:50, so was looking for a better time.... was not to be and was happy to be off the bike.... but apprehensive how the legs would be on the run!!

In the run up to worlds I injured my soleus calf muscle and had intensive physio and laid off running until yesterday, the run went well but was concerned that my achilles were really tight and mentioned this on the cyclist with a running problem thread.

Anyway I set out on the run at my race pace and would monitor how it went, actually felt good until the 3km mark, when got a stomach cramp... at which point I thought the run would become a mission, the cramp passed so decided just to run, it's worlds, so go for it!!  Fortunately the cramps only happened 3 other times and each time passed quickly.... so was able to stick to race pace and was happy with my time!! :)

Was surprised that I manage to get fairly close to my 5:30 time and can't say the run was that pleasant in the rain, or trying to huddle in any shelter post race to get out of the torrential rain!!

All in all one of my toughest race and the body is feeling every km of the 70.3.  A lot learnt and plenty to take away..... and also to ponder!!

At least I can be happy to say am a Ironman 70.3 World Championship FINISHER  :clap:

Edited by shaper

Not so well done.... am broken after today's race which is unusual for me! But I knew today was going to be a long day and a sub 5:30 (my goal) highly unlikely.

Apart from the conditions which was not what was hoping for, made the race particularly tough.  The better conditions were early morning and if you had one, the wind was in your favour. Being a tailwind on both the out and back.

In a brief race report, my day did not start well, woke early also with a stomach bug and had been to the loo 5 times before we hit the beach.  My start time was at 9am and there was an easterly blowing which made the swim choppy, great for the pro's who had started at 7:30am.  The chop made it difficult to sight and found my swim wandering, so not a great swim I felt.

By the time I was on the bike that easterly wind had become a westerly, so headwind all the way to the turn around, but was struggling to put any power down on the cycle, am guessing the stomach bug played it's part.  At least I could look forward to a tailwind on the home leg, but alas the wind turned again and had another headwind all the way back and to add insult to injury the odd rain shower made sure I knew the weather was around!!

In April I did the first part of the bike leg in 2:50, so was looking for a better time.... was not to be and was happy to be off the bike.... but apprehensive how the legs would be on the run!!

In the run up to worlds I injured my soleus calf muscle and had intensive physio and laid off running until yesterday, the run went well but was concerned that my achilles were really tight and mentioned this on the cyclist with a running problem thread.

Anyway I set out on the run at my race pace and would monitor how it went, actually felt good until the 3km mark, when got a stomach cramp... at which point I thought the run would become a mission, the cramp passed so decided just to run, it's worlds, so go for it!!  Fortunately the cramps only happened 3 other times and each time passed quickly.... so was able to stick to race pace and was happy with my time!! :)

Was surprised that I manage to get fairly close to my 5:30 time and can't say the run was that pleasant in the rain, or trying to huddle in any shelter post race to get out of the torrential rain!!

All in all one of my toughest race and the body is feeling every km of the 70.3.  A lot learnt and plenty to take away..... and also to ponder!!

At least I can be happy to say am a Ironman 70.3 World Championship FINISHER  :clap:

Nice Shaper. Yip conditions looked tough this afternoon in the rain. Hope your gut up to a beer or 2

Will see how the gut is at the awards banquet dinner this evening! More hoping I can get some food down will no adverse reactions!181d7a2a9ae3943be8e7e1c6aae4407a.jpg

And there also a cool finishers towel [emoji4]

Edited by shaper

Will see how the gut is at the awards banquet dinner this evening! More hoping I can get some food down will no adverse reactions!181d7a2a9ae3943be8e7e1c6aae4407a.jpg

Well done, great run splits  :clap:

Well done.