Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

It does things an electric planer can never dream of, or a sander for that matter. It's not for the same work. A hand plane will smooth out the tiniest discrepancies, it tidies up dovetails joints, is perfect for face frames .... O! You have no idea what a beautiful instrument it is to use. Have a look at some Doucette and Wolf (Wolfe?) videos on Youtube and you'll be blown away by a handplane's versatility.

Precisely. And each plane's length means it's versatility. Really need to get me some more. 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some pics of a kitchen I made completely from wbp (water & boil-proof) plywood ... and a good thing, because I did the scullery first. A month or two later, for the second part of the install, I found the washing machine had been pissing all over the floor and nobody noticed. It would've been a complete redo with chipboard.

On the minus side, screws split the ply so every joint has to be routed. Drawers, backs, everything. And ... painting, painting, painting. 1 coat primer, 1 coat undercoat, 2 or 3 of topcoat, inside and out. This was all done by hand and probably took the better part of a month. Maybe longer. 

Unfortunately, well under R100 000. It was for a friend whose builder turned out to be a cocaine addict. He schnarfed all her money and left her with a half-built house. 

Very nice, Turbo. What did you do to bend the ply? Steam, or cut the back end? 

Very nice, Turbo. What did you do to bend the ply? Steam, or cut the back end? 

On the curved door? I used bending ply, which comes either in bendy-width or bendy-length. About R100 per sheet.

The edges were laminated over a form, but I had to add a cut brace at the back to hold it more firmly, otherwise it tends flex.

Some pics of a kitchen I made completely from wbp (water & boil-proof) plywood ... and a good thing, because I did the scullery first. A month or two later, for the second part of the install, I found the washing machine had been pissing all over the floor and nobody noticed. It would've been a complete redo with chipboard.

On the minus side, screws split the ply so every joint has to be routed. Drawers, backs, everything. And ... painting, painting, painting. 1 coat primer, 1 coat undercoat, 2 or 3 of topcoat, inside and out. This was all done by hand and probably took the better part of a month. Maybe longer.

Unfortunately, well under R100 000. It was for a friend whose builder turned out to be a cocaine addict. He schnarfed all her money and left her with a half-built house.

Beautiful work, what did you use for the tops?

Some pics of a kitchen I made completely from wbp (water & boil-proof) plywood ...  

Just "sommer" because pressing the "like" button wasn't quite enough to say how impressed I am with this!

I found this in my workshop the other day. It was given to my by my Grandfather many years ago.I have never ever used it, an electric planer works so much better. To think that the artisans of years gone by produced such beautiful woodwork with such basic tools.

P.S. My grandfather is 96 years old and he still spends every morning in his workshop doing woodwork. It is standing on a table that he made.

attachicon.gif20160531_074941.jpg

P.S. My Grandfather would moer me if he ever caught my puting a plane down like that. Always on its side to protect the edge on the blade.

Thats awesome!!!

Wouldnt drilling pilot holes assist in not splitting the wood?

Beautiful work, what did you use for the tops?

Thanks! The tops are just a standard 15mm wbp ply, but ones with a nice face. I cut strips for the edge to make 'em look like 30mm. They're sealed with Woodoc 10, about 4 coats. If they get damaged, Woodoc is very easy to get looking good again.

The unit on the left of the main run of the counter, where it looks slightly different to the other units (with the drawers out), actually has a solid rhodesian teak top. The idea was to make it look like a found unit that had been built in, but I don't know if that's immediately apparent from the pics.

Red Oak - 5700N

Rosewood - 7900N

Ebony - 14300N

Australian Buloke - 22500N

So, in the greater scheme of things, Meranti pretty soft.

Timber City here in town refers people to us to cut Rosewood, they refuse to cut it as it blunts their blades...

What is that dreadful ( and VERY costly )wood that's used for patios ? Even reprocessed plastic has more " life "

Jeepers, thanks for all the likes guys! Much appreciated. And thanks for the comments.

Thanks DJR!

And Eddy Gordo ... well, it might with a higher quality ply, or a thicker one. But with 15mm, there's not a lot of space to play with. After trying three or four screws, I just reckoned it was easier to route the joints. It's fine when the router's set up properly. Whizz, whizz, whizz, then expanding glue for the joints and it's dry in an hour or two.

Thanks! The tops are just a standard 15mm wbp ply, but ones with a nice face. I cut strips for the edge to make 'em look like 30mm. They're sealed with Woodoc 10, about 4 coats. If they get damaged, Woodoc is very easy to get looking good again.

The unit on the left of the main run of the counter, where it looks slightly different to the other units (with the drawers out), actually has a solid rhodesian teak top. The idea was to make it look like a found unit that had been built in, but I don't know if that's immediately apparent from the pics.

It was the teak top that stood out, the color is really nice. Again, beautiful work, well done!

Balau.

That ugly duckling has quite a sting.  It has it's uses though.  I made a garden gate from it, and it needs only a bit of oil now and then.  No varnish.

Some places where the splinters went into my fingers turned red a day later.  And those splinters are damn mean.  It also has a high silica content, which means that it dulls your tools faster than normal.

Edited by Moridin

Balau.

That ugly duckling has quite a sting.  It has it's uses though.  I made a garden gate from it, and it needs only a bit of oil now and then.  No varnish.

Some places where the splinters went into my fingers turned red a day later.  And those splinters are damn mean.  It also has a high silica content, which means that it dulls your tools faster than normal.

So Balau is an actual thing, i thought he was just sharing a sneeze.