Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

My latest work in progress, chest of drawers for my youngest, though not sure I should post it here, it's plywood...

b9d2ca929f583ac2429661c29ef260f8.jpg

Very Cool. Whats wrong with ply ? 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My latest work in progress, chest of drawers for my youngest, though not sure I should post it here, it's plywood...

b9d2ca929f583ac2429661c29ef260f8.jpg

Off course.  Plywood has it's place in woodworking.

In fact, if more cabinetmakers were using good plywood for kitchen cabinet carcasses in stead of crappy chipboard, we would not have to scrap so many kitchen cabinetry because of the moisture and water demons.

Very Cool. Whats wrong with ply ?

Nothing wrong with ply per se, the quality of the locally available ply is not great. As with hardwood, if you're willing to pay, you can get some really nice ply. Here I'm using standard BC grade 16mm.

I found this in my workshop the other day. It was given to my by my Grandfather many years ago.I have never ever used it, an electric planer works so much better. To think that the artisans of years gone by produced such beautiful woodwork with such basic tools.

P.S. My grandfather is 96 years old and he still spends every morning in his workshop doing woodwork. It is standing on a table that he made.

post-16512-0-55213300-1465366500_thumb.jpg

In fact, if more cabinetmakers were using good plywood for kitchen cabinet carcasses in stead of crappy chipboard, we would not have to scrap so many kitchen cabinetry because of the moisture and water demons.

I'm considering redoing my kitchen myself purely because of this... 

agreed, sitting with that exact problem. The door under the sink is starting to swell and fall apart because of the water that runs over the each of the counter and onto the top of the door. very annoying

agreed, sitting with that exact problem. The door under the sink is starting to swell and fall apart because of the water that runs over the each of the counter and onto the top of the door. very annoying

VERY annoying. Just need the wife out of the house while I do it. Otherwise there'll be no end of nagging!

I'm considering redoing my kitchen myself purely because of this... 

Blockboard is also good for cupboard carcasses.

http://www.sinowood.com/tl_files/products/INTERIOR/BLOCKBOARD/commercial_Plywood/Mountain%20Fir%20Blockboard.jpg

Build your carcasses first Myles. Get the doors and tops and when everything is ready to install then strip the old kitchen. Of course you would need lots of space for storage. Otherwise maybe try to do one section at a time, reuse the old tops until all the cupboards are in.

Blockboard is also good for cupboard carcasses.

http://www.sinowood.com/tl_files/products/INTERIOR/BLOCKBOARD/commercial_Plywood/Mountain%20Fir%20Blockboard.jpg

Will remember that. 

And Myles, get the book by Jim Tolpin titled "Building Traditional Kitchen Cabinets".

Almost everything in there from designing the kitchen layout, on to measuring with measuring sticks, and then to the building and installing phases.

And Myles, get the book by Jim Tolpin titled "Building Traditional Kitchen Cabinets".

Almost everything in there from designing the kitchen layout, on to measuring with measuring sticks, and then to the building and installing phases.

yeah. Thanks for the tip! 

As for the cupboards. Very simple design, couple of corner units, mostly drawers and then open shelving at eye level. It's a small kitchen, so I need to get creative with the space. Retards also just re-tiled up to the kickboards and previous installer did a rush job. Cabinets can't be more than 10 years old, but they're all falling apart. Was a rush-job to make it look good on the outside.