Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This here is my bandsaw.  It is an old old Atlas Power King 912, and I got it from my old school mate for free.  My plan is to weld up a nice base for it and get a new motor. The current motor works, but the bearings is long gone. I also need to either get blades made up, or buy a blade and shorten it myself using my TIG welder.

As you can see, my garage is a mess, but I am busy with a plan to get it into shape.

attachicon.gifIMG_0291.JPG

I can put you onto the guys I bought my blades from they do custom sized blades - I'd advise against trying the self shorten option, even if your grinding skills are amazing to get it smooth and strong will be a bugger.

I went through 3 suppliers before finding the right one, the first 2 sets i bought snapped within minutes of being used - just running through some off cuts - and yes, I set the tension up right, ;-). When i found the last guys I bought 8 blades (2 of each tpi) thinking i would then have a spare... I'm yet to need the "spare"

I have a great Milwaukee Cordless drill, with brushless motor, but the one battery is dead, while the other battery is on it's last legs.  Repacking the 2 batteries will cost me almost halve of a new one, and just about the same price as a new Makita or Bosch 18V jobbie. Such a bloody shame.

You could donate it to me when it finally dies - pwetty pweeeez? perhaps for a small beer fund fee....I have a bunch of Li-on cells hanging around, in addition to my RC lipo batteries that I could retrofit.

Ideal would be LiFePO4 which is what the DeWalt tools use, they can be abused second to none, some of the RC guys "charge" their 3-cell LiFEPO4 packs direct from their car battery with 2m common ripcord acting as some resistance. 

I can put you onto the guys I bought my blades from they do custom sized blades - I'd advise against trying the self shorten option, even if your grinding skills are amazing to get it smooth and strong will be a bugger.

I went through 3 suppliers before finding the right one, the first 2 sets i bought snapped within minutes of being used - just running through some off cuts - and yes, I set the tension up right, ;-). When i found the last guys I bought 8 blades (2 of each tpi) thinking i would then have a spare... I'm yet to need the "spare"

You could donate it to me when it finally dies - pwetty pweeeez? perhaps for a small beer fund fee....I have a bunch of Li-on cells hanging around, in addition to my RC lipo batteries that I could retrofit.

Ideal would be LiFePO4 which is what the DeWalt tools use, they can be abused second to none, some of the RC guys "charge" their 3-cell LiFEPO4 packs direct from their car battery with 2m common ripcord acting as some resistance. 

Yes, I checked on the web this weekend about welding the blade, and then decided against it. So, I returned the blade to Apple today, and they ordered me a custom one from SA Bandsaw in Paarl. A pity, because that Makita blade looked like good quality.

I was also thinking about the retrofitting LiPos into the battery casing for the drill, but then it makes it an issue every time I need to charge quickly. Besides, the prices for RC LiPos has increased quite a bit lately, which makes it not worth the effort anyway.

Edited by Moridin

Yes, I checked on the web this weekend about welding the blade, and then decided against it. So, I returned the blade to Apple today, and they ordered me a custom one from SA Bandsaw in Paarl. A pity, because that Makita blade looked like good quality.

I was also thinking about the retrofitting LiPos into the battery casing for the drill, but then it makes it an issue every time I need to charge quickly. Besides, the prices for RC LiPos has increased quite a bit lately, which makes it not worth the effort anyway.

Got a bunch lying around doing nothing.

The other challenge / investment if going that route is that you can't charge with the standard charger and you would need a bespoke charger for it, Lipo is also potentially very dangerous, if you exceed the C rating on a cell if will puff and depending on the seal once it lets go its quite violent.

Thanks Bergman and DJR! I think you got me on the right track. Have to agree it is most probably Padauk. The open endgrain, and difficult to plane interlocking side grain is a give away. I got a plank of roughly 70 cm by 19 cm by 2.5 cm from a friend. Busy assembling an endgrain cutting board with some sand yellow wood. The 2 don't glue very well though. Will post a picture if I manage to stick them together. Must say it is looking amazing the yellow and red.

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/african-padauk/

Managed to complete the cutting board on Saturday. Man it was a struggle to glue the Padauk and Sand Yellow wood! Some pieces were glued 3 times, ended up using gorilla glue on some of them. Decided to put a border of Meranti around to hold everything stable. The smaller board on the right is Sand Yellow Wood and Rhodesian Teak. The RT plank had quite a lot of sapwood, that is why it is mostly pink.

post-36242-0-90204600-1470065265_thumb.jpeg

post-36242-0-36667500-1470065292_thumb.jpeg

Managed to complete the cutting board on Saturday. Man it was a struggle to glue the Padauk and Sand Yellow wood! Some pieces were glued 3 times, ended up using gorilla glue on some of them. Decided to put a border of Meranti around to hold everything stable. The smaller board on the right is Sand Yellow Wood and Rhodesian Teak. The RT plank had quite a lot of sapwood, that is why it is mostly pink.

Nice work Sniffie!

good use of box tape on the down pipe there.

Yup, next year's project. I will need to replace some facia boards and gutters. Those are still the old style asbestos gutters. Planning to redo all the gutters with those continuous running Aluminium gutters.

I know the feeling abut gluing. Do yourself a favour and try order some Alcolin 190 wood glue. It works fairly well on most wood types. It has helped me in the past when I battle to glue oily woods too.

BTW, anybody knows where I can find shellac?

The only place I know of is Hardware Center in Randburg. No real online presence so might have to get someone out that way to buy and ship for you.

The only place I know of is Hardware Center in Randburg. No real online presence so might have to get someone out that way to buy and ship for you.

Haha! We have our own Hardware Centre in Cape Town. It's just opposite the parking entrance to the Good Hope Centre, to remind everyone of Argus collection days.

Moridin, they should have, but I've also seen it some of the less well-known hardware stores and often in art supply shops.

I cut, grooved and glued 10 Mallet heads this morning. I've been busy setting up my new lathe (what????) and did a quick run on a Camelthorn carver's mallet head this morning .... hmmm smooth ... now for another 6 or so (all the stock I have)

Will most likely mail out all the mallets on either Thursday or Friday.

I cut, grooved and glued 10 Mallet heads this morning. I've been busy setting up my new lathe (what????) and did a quick run on a Camelthorn carver's mallet head this morning .... hmmm smooth ... now for another 6 or so (all the stock I have)

Will most likely mail out all the mallets on either Thursday or Friday.

YIPPEE!!!

EDIT: If you had more camelthorn, I'd order another. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Spent some time at Rarewoods in Epping today looking for a special small bit of walnut - found something in the off cuts shop for a very reasonable price. Amazing what you can find if you are willing to dig a bit.  

Been a while since I have  been to Rarewoods ... but have had some fun there selecting timber for architectural projects.

Another fun place to "Shop" is at the stone warehouses ... slabs, and slabs of stone lined up ... then you get to "page" through them selecting stone for your projects :)