Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Quick simple little project for one of the D's.......that took much more time and effort (sanding an applying a London oil finish) than expected. Reminded me what an amazing wood walnut is to work with.

Offcut walnut from Rare Woods, at a good price too, but it needed some tampering to get it square and flat

Glue, Sand, Jigsaw, quick and easy

Sand, sand, sand and then sand some more

Many, many applications of gun stock oil, lots of rubbing it in  by hand. Could have done more, can always do more. Always fantastic to see the grain come alive

European skull mount of gemsbok   

Very Nice Dawid! Was that from one of your expeditions? 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick simple little project for one of the D's.......that took much more time and effort (sanding an applying a London oil finish) than expected. Reminded me what an amazing wood walnut is to work with.

Offcut walnut from Rare Woods, at a good price too, but it needed some tampering to get it square and flat

Glue, Sand, Jigsaw, quick and easy

Sand, sand, sand and then sand some more

Many, many applications of gun stock oil, lots of rubbing it in  by hand. Could have done more, can always do more. Always fantastic to see the grain come alive

European skull mount of gemsbok   

What I really like is your grasp of proportions and shape for this piece.

Very nice and R70 well spent

I'm looking for some thick pine or meranti dowels - 38-44mm range. Anyone know where I can get some off the shelf? Not really in the mood to turn a bunch of these.

I'm looking for some thick pine or meranti dowels - 38-44mm range. Anyone know where I can get some off the shelf? Not really in the mood to turn a bunch of these.

Try one of the farm supply stores. They do a 32mm wooden pole for about R 40 for a 2m long section or so, used to extend the tool handles. 

At least they do down here. Agrimark / Agrinet etc. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Thanks Myles, broom (or tool) handles are just too thin.

Yeah, I get ya. Brooms are what - 20mm?

32mm should be okay, surely?

And the prices that the lumber yards ask for those thicker "dowelling rods" is just  :eek:

Edited by Myles Mayhew

I checked my stock, and the thickest dowel I have is a 32mm Meranti dowel that I got at Builders (of all places).

Thinking about buying this, is it worth it guys? I'm definitely not going to use it on an industrial level , just at home to cut planks in a straight line for my DIY projects. 

post-46817-0-36558400-1471271422_thumb.jpg

Thinking about buying this, is it worth it guys? I'm definitely not going to use it on an industrial level , just at home to cut planks in a straight line for my DIY projects.

Ryobi.jpg

If you don't mind resetting it every time you make a cut, checking the blade angle at all times and a guide rail that you need to triple check, then it'll serve you okay. If you're gonna use it every day then it'll drive you mad.

For 2k though, it's bloody good value

If you don't mind resetting it every time you make a cut, checking the blade angle at all times and a guide rail that you need to triple check, then it'll serve you okay. If you're gonna use it every day then it'll drive you mad.

For 2k though, it's bloody good value

Would this be a better option or is it 6 of one and HALF A DOZEN OF THE OTHER?

MAKE : MAC AFRICA FROM ADENDORFF

post-46817-0-14222200-1471273252_thumb.jpg

Edited by ScottC-M

attachicon.gifRyobi.jpg

I took the fence off mine and threw it away the first time I used it. It has served me well though for about 10 years and does what it needs to quite well. I made a wooden fence and had to clamp it to the table everytime in the correct spot so it makes setup quite slow. The biggest drawback is that it is very noisy being a brush type motor.

I have actually just upgraded to a very nice belt driven 300mm saw with some very nice solid cast iron extension tables and a ROCK solid fence. I am now very happy.[emoji4]

Would this be a better option or is it 6 of one and HALF A DOZEN OF THE OTHER?

MAKE : MAC AFRICA FROM ADENDORFF

Table Saw.jpg

It has a bigger table (MAJOR positive) and I struggle to see how it could be more *** than the ryobi TBH. Apart from that, you're not going to get a good tablesaw for less than 8 to 10k.

For 2k though....

Yeah, I'd go for the adendorff one even though it's more. That bigger table really is a major positive.

Other than that, I'd recommend trawling the Gumtree ads for some deals. Will probably be an older belt drive type, but FAR more versatile and better quality.

Again though. If you're using it for the odd job here and there and don't mind spending more time to set up for each cut (and checking tolerances between cuts for repeat work) and being meticulous in the setup, one of those will serve you well.

Rather cry now than later.  Save, beg, borrow or steal, but rather get a decent contractors table saw, if you can't afford a proper table saw. That Ryobi will have you wanting to cut your wrists.

A table saw is only as good as it's motor and fence.

Edited by Moridin

Rather cry now than later. Save, beg, borrow or steal, but rather get a decent contractors table saw, if you can't afford a proper table saw. That Ryobi will have you wanting to cut your wrists.

I table saw is only as good as it's motor and fence.

I have to agree. I curse every time I bring mine (exact same one as Jimmy is considering) out of the cupboard