Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Reciprocating saw.

And unfortunately the days of free pallets seem to be gone, with all this "upcycling" getting popular and all that. Often see them advertised at upwards or R 60 per pallet. 

Thank ****.

Personally, I hate pallets, with a passion, purely for the number of times I've had to hear "But why don't you make it out of pallet wood? That would make it cheaper?" These are normally on the 10-hour custom designs, specified to be made from hardwoods (quite often some exotic that they saw in a shop, like Mango or Burmese Teak or some such.

Have I mentioned that I ******* hate ******* pallets? 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank ****.

Personally, I hate pallets, with a passion, purely for the number of times I've had to hear "But why don't you make it out of pallet wood? That would make it cheaper?" These are normally on the 10-hour custom designs, specified to be made from hardwoods (quite often some exotic that they saw in a shop, like Mango or Burmese Teak or some such.

I'm with you on this one...all pallet wood is cut from either A grade or sub A grade. And if you understand pine timber grading in this country, that means it sawn from s h i t! Often times also sawn from juvinile pine.

Like isetech has shown, you can turn it into really nice functional furniture, i just think it's a fad like fat bikes (see what I did there, so bad :whistling: ).

I'm busy restoring a Yellowwood and Imbuia chair and need to replace one of the parts. Thankfully, Geelhout, not Imbuia. After explaining to the client the costs involved, I get the dreaded "Maar kan jy nie net 'n plankie insit nie?"

Sigh. Yes. A Yellowwood plankie , at R100. It's not going to break the bank, and it's pretty much my cost, without labor. Maybe I should go find a pallet plank to put in there?

May I ask why pallets? Do you have a bunch that you have access to?

Truss pine is also very cost effective 38 x 114 x 3.0m only cost R69 with CCA treatment at the coast

The only problem is that treated pine is extremely wet and crooked most of the time.  I bought about 3K worth of treated pine 2 weeks ago from Somerset Timbers.  If I planted 90% of that, I am sure some of it would have sprouted leaves and roots.

................. just think it's a fad like fat bikes (see what I did there, so bad :whistling: ).

:D  I wanted a fat bike until I started seeing one along Main Road Southern Suburbs regularly.....a pallet is a more appropriate thing to ride along Main Road! See what I did? I kept it woodwork related!  ;)

Thank ****.

And screwed pipe furniture... Don't get me started on screwed pipe furniture....

That screwed pipe stuff is cool the first time you see it.... Like most things though once it goes all mainstream, the shine wears off very quickly. 

I am all for upcycling but then do proper upcycling of stuff that is genuinely lying around. 

I'm advising one of the Ds with a science project a.t.m. He has to build a catapult that can throw a golf ball 25 metres and demonstrate the scientific principles behind it. His idea is to shoot the golf ball out of the school quad and  half way up Devils peak! Luckily, for safety reasons, it can only be a maximum of 300 x 300 x 600 mm. I'll post more as his project progresses.  

post-17716-0-30065600-1471518107_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-58199900-1471518186_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-97850700-1471518200_thumb.jpg

I'm busy restoring a Yellowwood and Imbuia chair and need to replace one of the parts. Thankfully, Geelhout, not Imbuia. After explaining to the client the costs involved, I get the dreaded "Maar kan jy nie net 'n plankie insit nie?"

Sigh. Yes. A Yellowwood plankie , at R100. It's not going to break the bank, and it's pretty much my cost, without labor. Maybe I should go find a pallet plank to put in there?

What size plank? I have some offcuts I don't really plan to use.

I'm advising one of the Ds with a science project a.t.m. He has to build a catapult that can throw a golf ball 25 metres and demonstrate the scientific principles behind it. His idea is to shoot the golf ball out of the school quad and  half way up Devils peak! Luckily, for safety reasons, it can only be a maximum of 300 x 300 x 600 mm. I'll post more as his project progresses.  

Cant wait for the day my kid gets a project like that, perfect excuse to build a Trebuchet.... 

That screwed pipe stuff is cool the first time you see it.... Like most things though once it goes all mainstream, the shine wears off very quickly. 

I am all for upcycling but then do proper upcycling of stuff that is genuinely lying around. 

Same with the Copper pipe stuff, I quite like the industrial look but the wife is not that keen.

Same with the Copper pipe stuff, I quite like the industrial look but the wife is not that keen.

I must confess that I made a copper pipe candle stick holder  :ph34r:  However it is now in the cupboard as I have seen enough of them online....

My wife's friend saw it and she wanted one so I said no problem. I had to buy some fittings so I did a costing on one holder to hole 3 candles. Totaled everything up afterwards :eek:  Damn those fittings are expensive!!

The only problem is that treated pine is extremely wet and crooked most of the time.  I bought about 3K worth of treated pine 2 weeks ago from Somerset Timbers.  If I planted 90% of that, I am sure some of it would have sprouted leaves and roots.

Interesting, along the coast here it has to be kiln dried CCA, so don't have the moisture problem.

But yes, you need to finely select your stock