Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

I'm advising one of the Ds with a science project a.t.m. He has to build a catapult that can throw a golf ball 25 metres and demonstrate the scientific principles behind it. His idea is to shoot the golf ball out of the school quad and  half way up Devils peak! Luckily, for safety reasons, it can only be a maximum of 300 x 300 x 600 mm. I'll post more as his project progresses.  

A trebochet, I'm all ears and eyes!

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, along the coast here it has to be kiln dried CCA, so don't have the moisture problem.

But yes, you need to finely select your stock

same as the stuff we get at builders and Airton timbers... very well dried and stored. 

A trebochet, I'm all ears and eyes!

That is what he wanted to build at first....after he saw a U-Tube clip of someone that built one big enough to chuck a car engine block across the rugby field. :eek:  :thumbup:

That is what he wanted to build at first....after he saw a U-Tube clip of someone that built one big enough to chuck a car engine block across the rugby field. :eek:  :thumbup:

Ahh, youthful exuberance

has anyone made a desk out of palette wood and willing to share ideas or pics? I want to make one for our study / spare room

I was all for building a roll top desk until I found an Imbuia desk from the 1950's with raised panel front and sides for R 4000.00 in perfect condition.

Speaking of which. Anyone want to make an offer.

Solid Pink Beech, French limed cabinets. PM me for more photo's details. Was offered R 2000.00 by a dealer!

Two display units. Cocktail cabinet and TV unit.

Thanks V12, I've actually got some yellowwood on my shelf :) Should be enough for this small job ... 

I just love making a nice joint, even if it is in pine. Here's two of 14 I made this morning :D Still need to sand the flats before final assembly.

post-29544-0-11582700-1471591237_thumb.jpeg

Thanks V12, I've actually got some yellowwood on my shelf :) Should be enough for this small job ... 

I just love making a nice joint, even if it is in pine. Here's two of 14 I made this morning :D Still need to sand the flats before final assembly.

attachicon.gifDovetails.jpeg

Thats awesome. 

How did you cut them out?

The patience behind dovetails is something else.

looking for a good orbital sander to sand internally exposed roof trusses - removing varnish and painting white.

Any suggestion on brands? Doing whole house so will be a lot of sanding.

looking for a good orbital sander to sand internally exposed roof trusses - removing varnish and painting white.

Any suggestion on brands? Doing whole house so will be a lot of sanding.

Angle grinder with a flexible disk - I (my worker) once sanded the underside of a wooden floor and varnished that - about 160m2 of it.... and it's the only tool that works at a reasonable speed, although you have to pay attention or it creates ridges quickly.

And don't forget a good mask and eye protection - working overhead is a b..stard.

V12 is spot on...it's also lighter and easier to handle over long periods and much more cost effective.

You should go the rental route on the orbital sander, something with variable speed is always a winner.

Edited by Ed-Zulu

What about using an electric plane?

too high up - 8m ceiling in my lounge. Too much finicky work for a plane.

V12 is spot on...it's also lighter and easier to handle over long periods and much more cost effective.

You should go the rental route on the orbital sander, something with variable speed is always a winner.

it's a big house with a shed load of sanding, so will probably have cost more by the end of the job to rent.

Easiest would be to wash the varnish with washing soda (pick and pay) - this is different to sugar soap -  and prime with oil based primer then paint - why sand it a beyond a light scratch for adhesion?....

Angle grinder with a flexible disk - I (my worker) once sanded the underside of a wooden floor and varnished that - about 160m2 of it.... and it's the only tool that works at a reasonable speed, although you have to pay attention or it creates ridges quickly.

And don't forget a good mask and eye protection - working overhead is a b..stard.

will hire one and give it a try.