Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Also just bought on auction a very rare Swedish block plane, will share the before and after once done with the resto.

The two planes above need light sanding and plane iron sharpening only

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone know where to get replacement collets for a ryobi router?

Drove past an office block with "Ryobi" on it today in 16th Road, Midrand if that is any help, they should be able to direct you to a reseller if need be

Edited by kosmonooit

Thought I would ask here as it is wood related: What can I use to treat my lapa wooden poles? Some have started to look rather bare (the coating seems to have gone, not sure how else to say it) at the bottom.

I know of Creosote but that stuff is pungent and not good for the skin. I have little children so don't want them touch or licking the poles with that stuff...lol

Do I need to sand them first (please say no) and then apply or can I just apply? Thanks

Thought I would ask here as it is wood related: What can I use to treat my lapa wooden poles? Some have started to look rather bare (the coating seems to have gone, not sure how else to say it) at the bottom.

I know of Creosote but that stuff is pungent and not good for the skin. I have little children so don't want them touch or licking the poles with that stuff...lol

Do I need to sand them first (please say no) and then apply or can I just apply? Thanks

30% linseed oil mixed with 70% turps - just apply it - goes on well with a cloth (it's basically old fashioned varnish) - repeat every 2 - 3 months - also works well for wooden window frames and doors - get the domestic engineer to do it after washing the windows...

30% linseed oil mixed with 70% turps - just apply it - goes on well with a cloth (it's basically old fashioned varnish) - repeat every 2 - 3 months - also works well for wooden window frames and doors - get the domestic engineer to do it after washing the windows...

The linseed is available at the likes of Builders I gather? A cloth? Would a paint brush work?

Domestic engineer.....lol...is that what they are called now?

The linseed is available at the likes of Builders I gather? A cloth? Would a paint brush work?

Domestic engineer.....lol...is that what they are called now?

Builders usually has linseed oil - as do most hardware shops.

Paint brush works fine - but tends to splash more than a cloth - it's pretty thin stuff - protect your floor with plastic or something.

Creoste mellows out after a while, and its the only treatment that helps most wood stand the test of time out doors in my opinion. Unless you are pedantic about annual maintenance with other treatments

The guys at Noag se Mark do a mix that works really well. 

I really like the Armadek made by Rystix, particularly the mahogany tint. It is water based and seems to perform really well on any outdoor wood, especially gum poles.

www.rystix.co.za