Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did my own manual pocket hole butt joints for my lighties bunk bed at my new place. Start screwing the screw in, then as soon as it's bitten, rotate downwards with a strong downward pressure (along the length of the screw) and drive home.

No kreg jig, no fuss. Would work far better with an impact driver, but it'll do.

Still needs a sand and paint. A bit of melawood will go under, bridging the 2 lower cross braces, to serve as a desk. Ladder is repurposed from my best mates bunk, which was used ~30 years ago. Ladder was kept as a "just in case" by my hoarder of a godmother.

c8b6543811cf675b67812fd4fd44cd7a.jpg

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Did my own manual pocket hole butt joints for my lighties bunk bed at my new place. Start screwing the screw in, then as soon as it's bitten, rotate downwards with a strong downward pressure (along the length of the screw) and drive home.

No kreg jig, no fuss. Would work far better with an impact driver, but it'll do.

Still needs a sand and paint. A bit of melawood will go under, bridging the 2 lower cross braces, to serve as a desk. Ladder is repurposed from my best mates bunk, which was used ~30 years ago. Ladder was kept as a "just in case" by my hoarder of a godmother.

c8b6543811cf675b67812fd4fd44cd7a.jpg

thats looking good Myles..

should give a stain and seal.. bring out the wood.. always a fan of wood grain..

@Rocket-Boy, Pocket holes work on angles joints too, just need to move the collar forward on the stepped bit by a 1/4 inch or so on a 45 degree mitre.

d75fe4de1ef26edbe914761fe678fc40.jpg

Oh awesome, thanks for the tip. Im really a noob when it comes to everything woodworking so I appreciate any help I can get!!

Oh awesome, thanks for the tip. Im really a noob when it comes to everything woodworking so I appreciate any help I can get!!

Don’t worry, I’m a noob too, but hey, we’ve all got to start somewhere! That’s what sandpaper and wood filler are for [emoji12]????. I’m lucky in that I meet lots of woody people so can ask lots of questions and advice.

..............That’s what sandpaper and wood filler are for ..............

This bit made me think back.......years ago my father in law looked at a welding project of mine and commented on how nice my angle grinding looked  :blush:  :D

This bit made me think back.......years ago my father in law looked at a welding project of mine and commented on how nice my angle grinding looked  :blush:  :D

People who weld are pretty judgemental folk from my experience!

Done for now on the lathe cart, still need to use it for a while to see if there is anything I want to change on it.

I added a holder for live centres, jacobs chuck etc.

post-4822-0-89713200-1517897535_thumb.jpg

Decided against the handle on the left because it would be less practical than just hold the top to move it around. I will probably mount a multiplug there instead.

post-4822-0-48457900-1517897826_thumb.jpg

I bought one of the Sorby modular toolrests to replace the piece of junk that came with the lathe, that thing felt like it was made from cheese because it would get big dings taken out every time I used a parting tool or a skew.

Done for now on the lathe cart, still need to use it for a while to see if there is anything I want to change on it.

attachicon.gifholder.jpg

I like!  Thanks for the idea - I will add one when I build my lathe stand as well.  Have you thought about mounting it inside a drawer to try to minimise dust?  Or do you need frequent access to them?

attachicon.gifholder.jpg

Decided against the handle on the left because it would be less practical than just hold the top to move it around. I will probably mount a multiplug there instead.

attachicon.gifdone.jpg

I bought one of the Sorby modular toolrests to replace the piece of junk that came with the lathe, that thing felt like it was made from cheese because it would get big dings taken out every time I used a parting tool or a skew.

Awesome, I have been toying with the idea of buying a tool trolley. However we have a few of these pine desks that look similar. Guess I will get a thicker piece for the top, and draws and castors. Thanks for the inspiration!!

I like!  Thanks for the idea - I will add one when I build my lathe stand as well.  Have you thought about mounting it inside a drawer to try to minimise dust?  Or do you need frequent access to them?

I was originally going to mount it inside of cupboard because that is mostly space I dont know how to use at this point. The chuck and allen keys though I use constantly, I have a geared lathe and it needs tools to change speeds which can be a pain.

One thing I do though is take a vacuum cleaner to the lathe every time I finish working on it. It might not look that way with all the shavings lying around but I took a break from planing board for the chisel holder to take the pics :)

That Sorby toolrest though is the business, Im looking at getting the S shaped bowl rest and box scarper platform for it too.

Awesome, I have been toying with the idea of buying a tool trolley. However we have a few of these pine desks that look similar. Guess I will get a thicker piece for the top, and draws and castors. Thanks for the inspiration!!

My original plan was to make it a flip top so that the lathe would be able to sit upside down and provide an extra work surface but that meant I would lose the storage space which I needed quite desperately. 

The fliptop was going to match my tablesaw as an outfeed but that would also mean compromising lathe working height to match the table saw.

My original plan was to make it a flip top so that the lathe would be able to sit upside down and provide an extra work surface but that meant I would lose the storage space which I needed quite desperately. 

The fliptop was going to match my tablesaw as an outfeed but that would also mean compromising lathe working height to match the table saw.

Damn, I have alot to do at home. If only the plasterer can finish off now so I can start.

Damn, I have alot to do at home. If only the plasterer can finish off now so I can start.

I feel that pain, I still actually need to build the home... We bought a subdivision about a year ago which had a 1 bedroom granny flat on it. So we moved in there and got the garage built but the house is still just at slab height. Still going to be a while until its done and then I will need to build every single cupboard including the kitchen to save on costs.