Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Fellows

Are those Kreg pockethole joinery jigs any good? It looks a bit plasticy.

It's a good system and in my opinion not that expensive in the time that I save when using it. Holes are always in the correct position and if your saw blade is square the joint will most likely be square. You get two different types of screws for hardwood and softwood. 

I had a kitchen island that I made using plywood and only pocketholes, no glue and it held up crockery and pots and pans. you have to be mindful of the direction of the screw direction if you want strength. 

Edit: I have this kit: https://leroymerlin.co.za/jig-pocket-hole-system-kreg-jig-r3with-free-face-clamp-81441768?sfdr_ptcid=32806_617_537688678&sfdr_hash=011bee92e9bd79dd473790239cad6309&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgo_5BRDuARIsADDEntSKzqkBmVaPxrPFRF33VELpnjMmGnTnlWvwOQGY0pyA-dZwJkTyhGMaAmGtEALw_wcB

Edited by ABrooks

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job. That looks awesome. How do you climb up there?

More importantly, Where did you get that duvet cover??????? The one with planes on.

Thanks!!

I've propped his old ladder up in the corner, but I want to make a new one for him at the proper length. He gets down by jumping onto the double. 

It's strong enough for me to do pullups on, but I'm going to give it a bit more reinforcement so that I can sleep at the top if he has a friend over. That's my goal, at least. 

As for the blanket... I think it was Makro or Mr P Home. I bought it about 7 years ago, so I'm not entirely sure. It came with a pillowcase as well. It's not your typical duvet, it's more of a "throw" or whatever they call those duvets that are completely sewn together as a single blanket.

EDIT: Just checked the label. Mr P Home. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Thanks!!

I've propped his old ladder up in the corner, but I want to make a new one for him at the proper length. He gets down by jumping onto the double. 

It's strong enough for me to do pullups on, but I'm going to give it a bit more reinforcement so that I can sleep at the top if he has a friend over. That's my goal, at least. 

As for the blanket... I think it was Makro or Mr P Home. I bought it about 7 years ago, so I'm not entirely sure. It came with a pillowcase as well. It's not your typical duvet, it's more of a "throw" or whatever they call those duvets that are completely sewn together as a single blanket.

EDIT: Just checked the label. Mr P Home. 

Hopefully after you have got up.......

Haha, I had no idea that people in SA watched "Hi, Scott Brown here!"

He's a pretty nice guy it seems. Chef Pareau is also hilarious!

I have been keenly watching his channel and a couple of other carpenters in the timber home construction trade.

I am in the Architecture and Interior game in SA, and seeing as our buildings are traditionally brick and mortar with the NZ working in timber I thought I would educate myself a little RE the construction methods and tips/tricks. For a few years now I have toyed with the idea of possibly moving over to NZ, so the more I can learn now with no real pressure, the better I recon!

He does a good show, and I really really like his personality ..... he come across as the kind of person I could/would like to befriend.

Ha! Yeah, it's still being assessed for weaknesses, but after stress testing and Mikey jumping on it, there was only 1.5cm of droop in the one corner, likely due to a softer piece of pine on that side. It's going to get reinforcement at the double bed base / leg junction, so that it's braced on 3 sides (a dado joint, in essence)

It's only really the torsional strength I'm looking at, as the base itself is stiff enough to take me (tested) and it's properly connected to the legs. If it was just Mikey using it, it'd be okay, but I don't like structures that I think are only okay. I've got a habit of over-engineering stuff. 

Next step after the bracing are the slats (not for my kid, for others) the headboard, and a hidden LED strip for reading by. Then sanding and painting. 

Any other ones I make will be out of commercial ply, instead of shutterply. 

Bed is made. I'm not a military man, and any perfect duvet rollout only lasts 5 minutes with the gremlin around... :P

I have been keenly watching his channel and a couple of other carpenters in the timber home construction trade.

I am in the Architecture and Interior game in SA, and seeing as our buildings are traditionally brick and mortar with the NZ working in timber I thought I would educate myself a little RE the construction methods and tips/tricks. For a few years now I have toyed with the idea of possibly moving over to NZ, so the more I can learn now with no real pressure, the better I recon!

He does a good show, and I really really like his personality ..... he come across as the kind of person I could/would like to befriend.

Yeah, I happened across his channel while debating whether I should buy a track-saw or not. As I'm busy with some DIY renovations on my little wooden house, I found his videos very helpful. From techniques, tool recommendations, or even just seeing job sites around the the city.

As for the wooden houses, yeah that took some getting used to. Especially when one sees house prices in places like Auckland. The cost clearly doesn't lie in the materials  :ph34r: :lol:

That said, skilled labour isn't cheap. Most trades will be about the equiv of R800 - R1100/hr. It's no secret that in general people consider tradies to make decent money. Plus the regulations are a LOT stricter than in SA, so there's a lot of simple things that one should get professionals in to sort out.

The wooden structure does make alterations a lot easier though (especially interior). Timber framed stud walls with drywall lining. Most houses have footings and joists (not the traditional foundations we're used to in SA, so access under the house is easy which helps when running services.

Ha! Yeah, it's still being assessed for weaknesses, but after stress testing and Mikey jumping on it, there was only 1.5cm of droop in the one corner, likely due to a softer piece of pine on that side. It's going to get reinforcement at the double bed base / leg junction, so that it's braced on 3 sides (a dado joint, in essence)

It's only really the torsional strength I'm looking at, as the base itself is stiff enough to take me (tested) and it's properly connected to the legs. If it was just Mikey using it, it'd be okay, but I don't like structures that I think are only okay. I've got a habit of over-engineering stuff. 

Next step after the bracing are the slats (not for my kid, for others) the headboard, and a hidden LED strip for reading by. Then sanding and painting. 

Any other ones I make will be out of commercial ply, instead of shutterply. 

Bed is made. I'm not a military man, and any perfect duvet rollout only lasts 5 minutes with the gremlin around... :P

I like that and you used engineering 101 principle "thicker is better" unless you build an aeroplane.

You could also probably lower it by at least 300mm's reducing the load, but other than that its perfect :thumbup:

I like that and you used engineering 101 principle "thicker is better" unless you build an aeroplane.

You could also probably lower it by at least 300mm's reducing the load, but other than that its perfect :thumbup:

problem is... if I lower it, it'll restrict night-time activities... Which I still want.  :clap:

Thanks, though. I like the look of it, and once it's completed (fully) it should look even better. 

Yeah, I happened across his channel while debating whether I should buy a track-saw or not. As I'm busy with some DIY renovations on my little wooden house, I found his videos very helpful. From techniques, tool recommendations, or even just seeing job sites around the the city.

As for the wooden houses, yeah that took some getting used to. Especially when one sees house prices in places like Auckland. The cost clearly doesn't lie in the materials  :ph34r: :lol:

That said, skilled labour isn't cheap. Most trades will be about the equiv of R800 - R1100/hr. It's no secret that in general people consider tradies to make decent money. Plus the regulations are a LOT stricter than in SA, so there's a lot of simple things that one should get professionals in to sort out.

The wooden structure does make alterations a lot easier though (especially interior). Timber framed stud walls with drywall lining. Most houses have footings and joists (not the traditional foundations we're used to in SA, so access under the house is easy which helps when running services.

Strangest thing EVER iS when you come across the process of moving house. Like literally, pick it up, out it on a truck and move it!

In the south of Auckland there are yards full of old houses that you can buy and have moved to your stand.

So I got the Kregg K4. As yous all say, I will not use it for everything. Just where it makes sense. And yes, I already looked at videos explaining which mistakes not to make. In general I am still a fan of joinery and glue. But for the bunch of workshop cabinets I want to make from plywood, it will be good enough.\

Currently building a worktable, which will double as a RC plane building table.

Edited by Moridin