Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

I need to get better at sketchup, I always draw a basic design which I use for some measurements but can never really get the joints etc right. I really have to set aside some time and watch some tutorials on it.

I also need to get better at it... but it's useful - more useful than my wife trying to describe something she wants built.... in words....

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to get better at sketchup, I always draw a basic design which I use for some measurements but can never really get the joints etc right. I really have to set aside some time and watch some tutorials on it.

I also need to get better at it... but it's useful - more useful than my wife trying to describe something she wants built.... in words....

My best basic starter advice on SK is to always work in groups. .... you doing a countertop, do it as a group, etc.

Following this you can always simply subtract element from each other and get the cuts/joints you require.

It also helps when applying materials to certain elements, such as a countertop for example, you now don't have to apply the material to the each face, but can just apply it to the group and all the faces will receive this.

When it comes to specific materials, it is also handy to create your own from photographs or images on the world wide web....

I realise the description above is really poor.

My best basic starter advice on SK is to always work in groups. .... you doing a countertop, do it as a group, etc.

Following this you can always simply subtract element from each other and get the cuts/joints you require.

It also helps when applying materials to certain elements, such as a countertop for example, you now don't have to apply the material to the each face, but can just apply it to the group and all the faces will receive this.

When it comes to specific materials, it is also handy to create your own from photographs or images on the world wide web....

I realise the description above is really poor.

Example of a basic reception desk I have just done as a concept for a client. The lighter timber "box" clips onto the end in order to still allow you to use a credenza under the counter in the "box" zone.

Using groups the box was created as a solid extrusion, this in turn was cut/clipped around the main desk by using "intersect with model/object".

Once clipped you can isolate this element and dim the hell out of it.

But I am just blabbering away here now.

post-5403-0-45443400-1516974327_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-02125600-1516974338_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-73746600-1516974344_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-12343300-1516974384_thumb.jpg

Anyone tried out the Luban planes that toolcraft is selling?

I bought a spokeshave from them which is sitting in a box on my desk.

Apparently they are the same as Woodriver but go by the name Luban for Europe and SA.

Pricing looks pretty good, especially on the block planes.

As an aside the owner of toolcraft seems like a really nice and helpful guy. Bought a few things from their online store and he popped me a mail afterwards to say thanks for the support and gave me some advice on tools. Im pretty sure I will be supporting them a lot more in future.

Also have my eye one one of those spoke shaves (for dining chairs I'm planning), and the rabbet block plane. The low angle is too expensive at R3k. I'd rather buy the Lie Nielsen or a Veritas from Lee Valley at the rate the ZAR is strengthening.

Are you referring to Brian?

He's a super nice guy and very passionate about the hobby. All of them actually. They take the time to demonstrate the tools for you and are very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone tried out the Luban planes that toolcraft is selling?

I bought a spokeshave from them which is sitting in a box on my desk.

Apparently they are the same as Woodriver but go by the name Luban for Europe and SA.

Pricing looks pretty good, especially on the block planes.

As an aside the owner of toolcraft seems like a really nice and helpful guy. Bought a few things from their online store and he popped me a mail afterwards to say thanks for the support and gave me some advice on tools. Im pretty sure I will be supporting them a lot more in future.

The brand gets excellent reviews in the US (amazon for one). I'm very keen on their jointer and rebate planes. Excellent value for money compared with what looks like their 'design inspiration', Veritas.

Edited by Capricorn

Also have my eye one one of those spoke shaves (for dining chairs I'm planning), and the rabbet block plane. The low angle is too expensive at R3k. I'd rather buy the Lie Nielsen or a Veritas from Lee Valley at the rate the ZAR is strengthening.

He's a super nice guy and very passionate about the hobby. All of them actually. They take the time to demonstrate the tools for you and are very helpful.

Yup chatted to Brian, he also recommended going for the Veritas La jack, way more blade options that way. I know from Moridin that the toothed blade is a beast at removing material.

I want to head to toolcraft next time Im in CT just to say hi.

Sorry forgot to mention the spokeshave is awesome, the quality is right up there. 

Im very keen on that rabbeting block plane, Brian said he has one and its super useful.

The brand gets excellent reviews in the US (amazon for one). I'm very keen on their jointer and rebate planes. Excellent value for money compared with what looks like their 'design inspiration', Veritas.

That it does, Rob Cosman is quite involved with them and he has some very good reviews on them. Pricing for some of them is very good and others are a little too close to Lie Nielsen and Veritas.

Made a quick bunch of trophies on Thursday and Friday - the guy I did it for got dropped by his usual supplier on the morning of delivery. He sent me the guy's prices and I can see why - my material was more expensive than his quote on the larger trophy. He may have planned on using off-cuts etc, but he shot himself and his client in the foot.

Hopefully I'll get some more work, I liked the challenge of getting the angles right.

post-29544-0-05544100-1517212907_thumb.jpeg

Made a quick bunch of trophies on Thursday and Friday - the guy I did it for got dropped by his usual supplier on the morning of delivery. He sent me the guy's prices and I can see why - my material was more expensive than his quote on the larger trophy. He may have planned on using off-cuts etc, but he shot himself and his client in the foot.

Hopefully I'll get some more work, I liked the challenge of getting the angles right.

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2018-01-28 at 08.30.26.jpeg

Those are really cool, is that stained pine?

Almost finished my lathe cart now, just a bit of adjustment needed on the drawers and door for spacing. Will probably turn some knobs this evening to finish it off.

Internal shelf had rabbets cut into it so that it would just slot in place and be held securely, this worked quite nicely. Pic was pre-cleanup with a chisel.

post-4822-0-83632600-1517218933_thumb.jpg

Front view with castors and top on, had a single coat of blo applied.

post-4822-0-70865100-1517219001_thumb.jpg

Side view

post-4822-0-62245800-1517219038_thumb.jpg

This time my little girl passed the inspection... The two pieces of ply on the right are because Im a noob and bought the wrong type of hinges, so I had to space them out to make them work.

post-4822-0-16314000-1517219167_thumb.jpg

Back view of the cupboard door side, the whole back section was covered with hardboard afterwards.

post-4822-0-75608700-1517219286_thumb.jpg

Im going to make a handle for the left hand side to make moving it around a bit easier. Im also going to make a small holder on the right for things like knock-out bars, live centres and jacobs chuck.

I will take some better pics when its all done, most of these were before any sanding or tidying up was done.

Do you guys know if we get any decent plywood in SA? I used shutterply for all the ply bits. I managed to get knot free sections by very creatively breaking down a sheet but it still had a lot of voids.

Its nice and easy stuff to work though so Im quite keen to use it again with other projects on my to-do list.

Do you guys know if we get any decent plywood in SA? I used shutterply for all the ply bits. I managed to get knot free sections by very creatively breaking down a sheet but it still had a lot of voids.

Its nice and easy stuff to work though so Im quite keen to use it again with other projects on my to-do list.

we do, but it's *** duur. 

marine ply if you want to be kwaai?