Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, not necessary have to be kiaat. Was just comtemplating options, similar to it like walnut or ironwood.

This is the hardwood commercial ply we have in stock, sheet size 1220 x 2440 (4 x 8), the finish looks similar to Saligna, or a pink Meranti.

4c2f990c45cc898a988cab9c496b8881.jpg

3b38b7a6fcfedf5c36c83b98309f008a.jpg

Edit: add the pics

Edited by Stretched@Birth

Seems as if everyone is in a rush - I normally avoided small jobs in January, rather trying to get one large project going early in the year. Last year I only made guns, so this year I decided to see if I can rustle up a few small jobs in Jan. Invoiced around R15K in small <R500 jobs for Jan ... and every single one of them was a rush job  :blink: Quote today, deliver in 2 days max.

My boss (in the IT part of my life) has decided to a)short pay me for Jan and b) try and force me to reduce my hours to 3 days per week, with commensurate pay cut. I can understand it from a short-sighted company perspective, and have seen it coming for a while now, but it sucks man. I had an offer at another IT company last year but didn't feel that the move would be right - my skill set is not 100% up to scratch, and I don't intend to brush up on new stuff as IT has lost it's soul somewhere between 2001 and 2005

So, if anyone has some projects to throw Pretoria way, gimme a shout  :clap:

That sucks bro, IT is a pretty soul destroying profession, I have been a linux admin of ~110 odd servers for the last 12 years.

I've been busy treading water, so a bit late to the discussion.

I work plenty in plywood, built a boat, cabinets etc. Good old exterior ply (not shuttershite) is pretty OK for most garage type jobs or the odd cabinet in Pete's room etc. 

Birch ply in DBN retails about R200-00 per sheet more expensive in thickness than the local pine ply's. In my book that's worth the money, but, is it worth the application?

Marine ply for anything other than a marine application is bonkers. The stuff is heavy being mostly tropical hardwoods and the glue spec is also a weight additive. yes, you have a nice idea use it, otherwise, maak 'n plan.

However, if Lumber City offers you a marine ply without the BS1088 stamp, decline the offer, its k@k and just heavy, makes splinters galore en just generally screws up your Saturday.

Its another one of those times when living in EL is a bit crappy. We have 1 hardwood dealer and the are more of a manufacturer than dealer. I should check with them if they can do birch because none of the usual board companies I have tried stock it.

This is the hardwood commercial ply we have in stock, sheet size 1220 x 2440 (4 x 8), the finish looks similar to Saligna, or a pink Meranti.

Where is this? And thicknesses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dammit Stretch™ why do you have to be so far away? that looks pretty awesome for some ideas I had in mind.

I was looking to do something like this but in nicer colours: 

For the life of me I cant find the video I was looking for.

Dammit Stretch[emoji769] why do you have to be so far away? that looks pretty awesome for some ideas I had in mind.

I was looking to do something like this but in nicer colours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QTX66dkBSg&t=3s

What about your local kitchen manufacturers/board suppliers? Those should be standard items and if they can supply you with melamine/mdf etc they'll have those thinner sheets too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dammit Stretch[emoji769] why do you have to be so far away? that looks pretty awesome for some ideas I had in mind.

I was looking to do something like this but in nicer colours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QTX66dkBSg&t=3s

I’ve been wanting to do a similar project, have a lot of Meranti offcuts, that I can cut into brick sized slices, it’s just time... Too many projects, not enough time!

So I turned some pulls for the lathe cart, I could have bought them but where would the fun be in that?

First prototype which turned out being too big and didnt suit it very well.

post-4822-0-12220300-1517558611_thumb.jpg

The final design. I turned a 8mm tenon on the end because I liked the idea of being able to drill a 8mm hole and then glue them in place. I can always use a flush trim saw to cut them off later if I want to change something.

post-4822-0-97118400-1517558733_thumb.jpg

Glued in place, I think the size works well because they wont be in the way when I lean up against it and they have plenty of grip for opening.

post-4822-0-78339300-1517558798_thumb.jpg

I really like the bluegum they were turned from, will look quite nice when I add a finish to it.

Now I just need to make the handle and ledge for storing the small bits then Im finally done.

my little wood working project

not nearly as impressive as some of your guys projects

simple Knotty Pine from Builders cut and shaped to sizes. stained with Black Wood Stain, and sealed with Woodoc 20,

this is only phase and need to do the other wall with the same concept

some brackets and  legs fitted

post-12682-0-31861400-1517738245_thumb.jpg

post-12682-0-10441500-1517738253_thumb.jpg

post-12682-0-27088500-1517738407_thumb.jpg

Edited by The New Me

Seems as if everyone is in a rush - I normally avoided small jobs in January, rather trying to get one large project going early in the year. Last year I only made guns, so this year I decided to see if I can rustle up a few small jobs in Jan. Invoiced around R15K in small <R500 jobs for Jan ... and every single one of them was a rush job  :blink: Quote today, deliver in 2 days max.

My boss (in the IT part of my life) has decided to a)short pay me for Jan and b) try and force me to reduce my hours to 3 days per week, with commensurate pay cut. I can understand it from a short-sighted company perspective, and have seen it coming for a while now, but it sucks man. I had an offer at another IT company last year but didn't feel that the move would be right - my skill set is not 100% up to scratch, and I don't intend to brush up on new stuff as IT has lost it's soul somewhere between 2001 and 2005

So, if anyone has some projects to throw Pretoria way, gimme a shout  :clap:

Hey man, I feel you, I was also in IT and around the same time felt the same but left the industry then. Before I left I tried various streams in IT but it just didnt do it.

All the best with your future endeavors. Maybe making some coffee tables to sell and some other furniture. I always tell my wife I am gonna call myself a carpenter and get chipboard cut up at the stores and then assemble in sight for people

Hey man, I feel you, I was also in IT and around the same time felt the same but left the industry then. Before I left I tried various streams in IT but it just didnt do it.

All the best with your future endeavors. Maybe making some coffee tables to sell and some other furniture. I always tell my wife I am gonna call myself a carpenter and get chipboard cut up at the stores and then assemble in sight for people

Thanks man - yeah I already have a good side hustle going with woodworking, time to kick it up a couple of notches.