Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

You could go large .... we recently did high level units like that on a project with touch activated open/close motorised doors #JustSaying :P

Just make sure that all persons in your family can reach the door to pull it down again when in the open position.

Its a cabinet from the 70's, the cheaper the solution the better.

Its a piece of furniture I did not want, but came from the mother in law. Both my wife and mother in law were convinced this thing was solid wood. Hahaha, the doors are a proper wood, everything else is laminated chipboard. I loled.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a cabinet from the 70's, the cheaper the solution the better.

Its a piece of furniture I did not want, but came from the mother in law. Both my wife and mother in law were convinced this thing was solid wood. Hahaha, the doors are a proper wood, everything else is laminated chipboard. I loled.

here we go

f17d0b5ed0ec5c53e6a5bed08154c852.jpg

I havent but that could be really cool for a lot of users.

Im very comfortable with Arduino code and built a lot of IoT projects with it, so its not such a bit deal to me.

At some stage I will upgrade to a better board and possibly an enclosure if PETG doesnt meet my requirements anymore. I initially wanted to use the printer as stock to eliminate any possible issues relating to mods, its done well so far but there is always a bit more you can squeeze from Creality printers!

Im actually quite keen on adapting a system like the CR-6 SE has, it has a limit type switch that the hotend is mounted to so it would be compatible with all hotend's.

Yeah, I like the integrated strain gauge system they use for bed levelling on the CR 6SE.

Michael Laws (TeachingTeach) did say it may limit one in terms of upgrades to all-metal hot ends, or completely take direct extrusion off the cards, but that was based on his preliminary investigation (before official release), and by now there may be many aftermarket parts available to achieve this.

As for the enclosure, I'm busy printing the parts to build an Ikea Lack enclosure (popular option for those using the smaller Creality & Prusa printers).

Something like this, constructed out of 2 cheap Ikea side-tables, perspex, and some 3D printed parts.

box-3d-electronics-pack-prusa-ikea-lack.

Yeah, I like the integrated strain gauge system they use for bed levelling on the CR 6SE.

Michael Laws (TeachingTeach) did say it may limit one in terms of upgrades to all-metal hot ends, or completely take direct extrusion off the cards, but that was based on his preliminary investigation (before official release), and by now there may be many aftermarket parts available to achieve this.

As for the enclosure, I'm busy printing the parts to build an Ikea Lack enclosure (popular option for those using the smaller Creality & Prusa printers).

Something like this, constructed out of 2 cheap Ikea side-tables, perspex, and some 3D printed parts.

box-3d-electronics-pack-prusa-ikea-lack.

That is a really clever idea! I have heard Ikea furniture is really cheap, its pressed cardboard or something like that isnt it?

So the 'home made' family toddler bed is now moving on to the 4th child, this over a period of about 6 years ... had a tough life with my second youngest granddaughter and her 2 older brothers!

Frozen has to be 'let go' as the littlest granddaughter is a fan of 'Shimmer and Shine'!

Strengthened the bottom, tightened all the screws, gave it a good sanding down and with some help from my good mate Matthys we sprayed it the necessary specific light pink as instructed.

My wife is a bit behind on the padded headboard insert but I'm told it's 'almost ready!2e1b5fac01da73ec70be986b2f97a107.jpg36c35bbaebb901d52d7f7fa79db61bcd.jpg9c320ee244e3fb629345751a067f2af7.jpg06b558d4f319a77e8c3602e86a1ce591.jpgdffce60765e031a35965360834c10c40.jpg

So the 'home made' family toddler bed is now moving on to the 4th child, this over a period of about 6 years ... had a tough life with my second youngest granddaughter and her 2 older brothers!

Frozen has to be 'let go' as the littlest granddaughter is a fan of 'Shimmer and Shine'!

Strengthened the bottom, tightened all the screws, gave it a good sanding down and with some help from my good mate Matthys we sprayed it the necessary specific light pink as instructed.

My wife is a bit behind on the padded headboard insert but I'm told it's 'almost ready!

Priceless stuff

That is a really clever idea! I have heard Ikea furniture is really cheap, its pressed cardboard or something like that isnt it?

Ikea furniture varies. THey have cheap and cheerful products, as well as more pricey and designer ones made form solid timber etc. But from my experience it's always reasonably priced for what it is.

Unfortunately we don't have Ikea in New Zealand, so visiting Ikea has become a mandatory part of each Aus visit I (about 2-4x a year pre-Covid).

Those Lack side tables are about R120 each from Ikea in Aus. Even without Ikea here in NZ, we can get them, but we are at the mercy of 3rd party resellers who import a very limited range of product and gouge the prices. I paid about R275 each. Still far cheaper than anything remotely similar available from other NZ brands.

Ikea has announced they will be entering the NZ market. I think the local competitors (Kmart, the Warehouse, etc), who sell inferior products for higher prices, are crapping themselves. The resellers can't be thrilled either as they become completely irrelevant.

I can't wait though! :lol:

Ikea furniture varies. THey have cheap and cheerful products, as well as more pricey and designer ones made form solid timber etc. But from my experience it's always reasonably priced for what it is.

Unfortunately we don't have Ikea in New Zealand, so visiting Ikea has become a mandatory part of each Aus visit I (about 2-4x a year pre-Covid).

Those Lack side tables are about R120 each from Ikea in Aus. Even without Ikea here in NZ, we can get them, but we are at the mercy of 3rd party resellers who import a very limited range of product and gouge the prices. I paid about R275 each. Still far cheaper than anything remotely similar available from other NZ brands.

Ikea has announced they will be entering the NZ market. I think the local competitors (Kmart, the Warehouse, etc), who sell inferior products for higher prices, are crapping themselves. The resellers can't be thrilled either as they become completely irrelevant.

I can't wait though! :lol:

Yeah look its up to the others to adapt if they want to survive, its always good for the consumer.

I wonder if SA will ever get Ikea?

Personally I would rather be in AU or NZ and not have to think about that answer :)

Yeah look its up to the others to adapt if they want to survive, its always good for the consumer.

I wonder if SA will ever get Ikea?

Personally I would rather be in AU or NZ and not have to think about that answer :)

A friend of mine looked into this some years ago. In some countries Ikea first moves in with concept stores. These have limited stock, but the ability to order from the catalogue and facilitate shipping of a wider range. If these are successful and certain other criteria are met, they then expand into the full fledged blue box warehouse style operation.

South Africa does seem like a prime candidate for Ikea. Population, growing middle class, cheap real estate, tc, so it's strange that Ikea hasn't thought about moving in. Perhaps the larger local players (Massmart and the like) have got some buddies high up that have the ability to make life difficult for the new kid on the scene.

Interesting enough, Ikea has been in Aus since 1975. That's at least 10 years before the US and UK got their first Ikea. Also Egypt and Morocco already have Ikea, so SA wouldn't be their first foray into Africa.

There's a pretty fascinating documentary series called Inside Ikea or Flatpack Empire (narrated by Olivia Coleman).

In that, and inkeeping with the woodwork theme... Ikea accounts for about 1% of the total timber usage worldwide (over 13 million cubic meters/year). That's insane! 

Edited by patches

Fitted the final touches .... delivered!

Very happy Baba [emoji4]

Did a 'simple' job (according to my wife) of modifying a 3/4 base into a single for the granddaughter that has progressed from the toddler bed. That's enough wood work for a while!855315db784e0735287f5f32ab632022.jpg7e856a09b2a304cb823ab82cc1198a2c.jpg

That cushion reminds me of those long marshmallows.

412G1G4fu8L.jpg

I've been installing some Elfa hanging shelving/racking in the study, to make a home office space that can be adapted in the future (when the study may need to change into a nursery or kids room).

Something like this:

post-10758-0-29060200-1611003601_thumb.jpg

The Elfa system is awesome, adaptable and well made, but really hurts the wallet.

For our 3300mm long wall we'd need 5x 610Wx 525D desktops. They retail for $140ea (around R1500).

So in stead I decided a hack was in order. I procured 2 sheets of 2200x600x25mm oak vaneered furniture making ply.

Trimmed them down to 500mm deep and 1650mm wide with the track saw. Then to compensate for the lack of clipping brackets (which the Elfa desktops have), I routed in some 12x12mm slots, lined up at precisely to suit the 610mm centres (one of the Elfa standard configs) so that the support brackets press-fit into them.

post-10758-0-80778400-1611003970_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-47042800-1611003994_thumb.jpg

By no means is this skilled or fine work, BUT I can highly recommend a track saw and some of the accessories available for them, especially for those who don't want to invest money or space into a table saw.

I used the router adaptor for the track so that I could quickly and accurately route straight lines without clamps/jigs, etc.

maxresdefault.jpg

(One of these)

There are also a lot of 3D printable accessories for Makita (and Festool) tracks on Thingiverse.

So much for 'enough wood work for now' [emoji12]

You know those single speed or other bike projects that start with a 'set of brakes and a fork'? Well how about some old pallet wood and a set of cutlery that was getting thrown out ...

One to hang coffee mugs and the other one for keys.2da6821d89807f2b30f8f5386867cead.jpg83a0d08404dd120ea255e0a83c75de2f.jpg

So much for 'enough wood work for now' [emoji12]

You know those single speed or other bike projects that start with a 'set of brakes and a fork'? Well how about some old pallet wood and a set of cutlery that was getting thrown out ...

One to hang coffee mugs and the other one for keys.2da6821d89807f2b30f8f5386867cead.jpg83a0d08404dd120ea255e0a83c75de2f.jpg

hahaha kudos for being one of the minority that actually turns a wood pallet into something.

For every one of you, there are dozens who have pallets rotting in their yard with the best of intentions. I was one of those  :ph34r: :lol:

38motj.jpg

ce4717790bc65647975c3a5ce28bd78c.jpg

@bertusras and @Rocket-Boy, have either of you 3D printed flexibles (TPU) before?

I believe extrusion can be a challenge if one doesn't have a direct drive extruder, or something like a SeeMeCNC EZR Struder.

I'm running a dual drive bowden style extruder, which seems to have have very limited space for the filament to bunch up between the hobbed gear and the feed hole

DualDrive-2-hobbed-gears-586.jpg

Keen to hear your thoughts.

PS. I should probably start a 3D printing thread as I feel bad for hijacking this woodwork one all the time  :ph34r:

Edited by patches

PS. I should probably start a 3D printing thread as I feel bad for hijacking this woodwork one all the time  :ph34r:

There actually is a 3D Printing Thread

Unfortunately I can't help you on this. I've only printed with PLA and PETG and have a stock standard Bowden extruder.