Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

'We can't have that pallet wood just standing around' apparently [emoji849]

A headboard for in the spare room used by our granddaughters ... it needs a 'distressed' white look, any suggestions how to get that?

I'm not creative at all so please keep that in mind!d4ed10372f6636099b19e847475c72f7.jpg

I would do a whitewash on that head board if you want a type of distressed look.  Take a decent white paint like Plascon Velvaglo - Satin sheen and mix it with turpentine of paint thinners and paint it on.  The grain of the wood will still show and you will get a nice effect.

The reason I would go for the Satin sheen is that it is not a very glossy paint but not matt either.  

Test the ratios on a scrap piece until you get the result you like.

Edited by CJ Van

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'We can't have that pallet wood just standing around' apparently [emoji849]

A headboard for in the spare room used by our granddaughters ... it needs a 'distressed' white look, any suggestions how to get that?

I'm not creative at all so please keep that in mind!d4ed10372f6636099b19e847475c72f7.jpg

I'll send you my tax return to stick on the headboard - it will be instantly distressed! Problem solved! ;)

I have not been online for a while, but I had a few good hours in the garage!   :clap:

My bench has not progressed much, apart from making the screw for the wagon vice. 

attachicon.gifWagon Vice 2.jpg

attachicon.gifWagon Vice 3.jpg

However, one of my friends is also building a bench, so I made him a screw for his leg vice as well:  c 600 mm long, 65 mm diameter with 12.5 mm pitch,  twin start threads.  Rhodesian teak for the screw and nut, walnut for the hub and knobs, and beech for the handle.  (His bench will be Rhodesian teak for the base, beech top and walnut leg vise chop and accents).

attachicon.gifPierre se skroef.jpg

Sorry, don't know why it is on its side...

Holy crap! some next level stuff there carrera4s. Here we are with planks of wood chopped and plakked together and you're turning threaded parts from fine timber  :thumbup:

Edited by patches

I finally finished one of my original DIY woodwork projects  :ph34r:

The post box.

My better half had been asking when it was going to be done because our current one was rotted and falling apart. In fact when I removed it it was riddles with ants.

I kept blaming Aliexpress as I was waiting on some nice simple house numbers. Aliexpress finally delivered (after about 7 weeks). They finally delivered so my excuse expired.

post-10758-0-24168600-1612213066_thumb.png

The old one

post-10758-0-12435600-1612213109_thumb.jpeg

The new one.

I don't have picks from the back, but I just used a stainless steel piano hinge for the door, with neodymium magnets to keep it closed (no one locks their post boxes here).

Whole box has had about 5 coats of polyurethane.

Now my fence looks extra ugly :lol:

Nice patch job there

hahaha I see what you did there!

Amazing what a mini reciprocating saw and some brute force can do :lol:

The post box.

My better half had been asking when it was going to be done because our current one was rotted and falling apart. In fact when I removed it it was riddles with ants.

I kept blaming Aliexpress as I was waiting on some nice simple house numbers. Aliexpress finally delivered (after about 7 weeks). They finally delivered so my excuse expired.

attachicon.gifPost Box.PNG

The old one

attachicon.gifreceived_1088969824849410.jpeg

The new one.

I don't have picks from the back, but I just used a stainless steel piano hinge for the door, with neodymium magnets to keep it closed (no one locks their post boxes here).

I would like to say "well played", but you just won yourself some Karate Kid training... ie Paint the fence

Edited by Craai

Another bloody chopping board :lol:

attachicon.gif20210127_221633.jpg

attachicon.gif20210127_221644.jpg

attachicon.gif20210127_221659.jpg

Edge grain, made from American Hard Maple rough sawn lumber. Finished with food grade mineral oil.

15 degree bevel added to each side for the hell of it (I thought it looked cool  :ph34r: )

Nothing fancy, and pretty simple to make. I find the milling process somewhat therapeutic, so don't mind spending a couple of Saturday mornings making noise and sawdust.

I really like making solid cutting boards. One of the ones I did recently is extra long and we use it as a pizza serving board, it fits two side by side.

The post box.

attachicon.gifPost Box.PNG

The old one

attachicon.gifreceived_1088969824849410.jpeg

The new one.

Do you try and sneak that motorbike into just about every pic you take?

I have not been online for a while, but I had a few good hours in the garage!   :clap:

My bench has not progressed much, apart from making the screw for the wagon vice. 

attachicon.gifWagon Vice 2.jpg

attachicon.gifWagon Vice 3.jpg

However, one of my friends is also building a bench, so I made him a screw for his leg vice as well:  c 600 mm long, 65 mm diameter with 12.5 mm pitch,  twin start threads.  Rhodesian teak for the screw and nut, walnut for the hub and knobs, and beech for the handle.  (His bench will be Rhodesian teak for the base, beech top and walnut leg vise chop and accents).

attachicon.gifPierre se skroef.jpg

Sorry, don't know why it is on its side...

Amazing work!

I still think that twin start thread is an absolute game changer, fast movement but all of the gripping power of a single start thread.

yeah, paved around 100 sqm around the pool in 2019, eye watering

Tell me about it! 

We tarred our driveway(panhandle) in 2018 and it was completely destroyed by cement mixers in 2019 when we built the rest of our house.

Ended up having to pave around 160sqm which really hurt the pocket.

Mate, you know you just created a whip that your wife is going to use on you right?!?!

Next job will be painting the fence...

That post box looks great.

I really like making solid cutting boards. One of the ones I did recently is extra long and we use it as a pizza serving board, it fits two side by side.

I really Like using solid wood cutting boards, something about cutting on wood is just sublime

and Patches looks super Nice. 

Same here. I can't stand cutting on a glass one. I can hear the knife crying when using one!

That and the fact that it is so very unpractical. Many people just do not realise how destructive silica or materials containing high amounts of silica are on cutting edges.

That and the fact that it is so very unpractical. Many people just do not realise how destructive silica or materials containing high amounts of silica are on cutting edges.

Silica is a nightmare, I picked up some coastal Red Milkwood from my father in law's golf club, it had blown down in a storm.

The silica content is insane in that wood and I have to resharpen my bowl gouge every few minutes when Im roughing them out.