Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

15 hours ago, patches said:

Finally sorted out my wood pile into 1, accessible, mobile place

image.png.a91caff52d30bdbf100b2ec08631f8c5.png

Previously it was spread across the wood cart, that shelf that my helmets are now on, and a massive pile in the bottom left corner of this pic.

With the exception of the wood cart, I've tried to divide my tiny car port into a reverse mullet...

Party in the front (camping, MTB's, motorcycle etc), and business at the back (tools, workbenches, materials).

To keep it this organised I'll have to change some behaviours...

• Only buy sheet goods (or any other lumber) as and when it's needed
  • Be ruthless with off-cuts. Not every little piece is "could be handy later"

I won't be easy though 😅

I see what you did putting the Morewood togetherimage.png.c638a9bef4f102ff475109014c4a2cea.png

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, BigDL said:

Thought I'd share a bit.

Been working on a project for the past while (paused for the last week as I've been sick as a dog) - to build an outdoor counter.  Started with a massive (4 metre) piece of fairly fresh wood (Monterey Cedar) and no idea of what to really do. Lots of youtube later and I built a base for the counter 

image.jpeg.6456058dee9b6e4034fa053d5a12225d.jpeg

image.jpeg.0412534eba21aebdd53a71245f78de33.jpeg

Cut my countertop piece to 9almost) size and spent lots of time sanding. image.jpeg.598a1af97c4c575016c9bcaee810fa91.jpeg

image.jpeg.b76879a55d4dae33791930fea721072d.jpegAfter lots and lots of sanding, I decided that I wanted to use the other side, so flipped it and went to work again. 

Once all of the holes full of rot and bark and stuff were clear, needed to then learn about resin, so back to YouTube. Some of the holes were significant in size and went right through the wood, so had to block in three areas of the underside with some creative use of wood, tape and silicone. image.jpeg.d1ffac2726d002612d3749208bc2c470.jpeg

Built small dams around the top side of the holes (some more effective than others) and then poured the various mixes of resin (4 pours in total for some of the bigger holes) and then left them to cure. 

image.jpeg.ab51e415d3f7b5ef78c217aa2b6121f0.jpeg

So, next task, once I'm back on my feet, is to sand the resin, sand the table and then treat with a UV protecting oil. After that, need to work out how to cut and finish correctly to fit on the base. Hoping to get it all done in the next couple of weeks, 

Looking awesome!

So. I'm selling some goodies, all in excellent nick. Basically getting rid of my powered tools to replace with battery operated so I'm not reliant on Eishkom. 

Stuff I have that needs to go

Metabo kgs216m sliding compound mitre saw - R 3,000

Makita 5903R 235mm circular w/ 4 just-sharpened blades and brand new brushes (installed this past weekend) - R 3,000

Bosch pks55 circular - R 1,000

Startel Pro 1900w plunge router w/ guide R 1,500

Dremel 3000 w/ router attachment and Tork Craft spares kit in Dremel toolbox - R 1,250

Elu electrical planer from the 80s (still in perfect order and w spare blades) - R 750

HMT  (Huster Machine Tool company) belt driven table saw with cast iron worksurface and router under-mount (had the startel router in place) - R 12,000 

Triton Mk3 workcentre - R 2,500

I also have a biscuit boy, details on that to follow once I've given it a once-over and checked it all out. 

All offers entertained, but don't take the piss. 😆

Slide into my DMs 

Finally got round to my first Systainer insert, after months of procrastinating and finding other bigger projects to tackle.

Designed in the AutoCAD for my 12V installation drill/driver and it's various attachments

Simple 9mm ply construction with glue and brad nails.

image.png.f423b1cec2edb1473bba9e1dbacf843e.png

3 of the 4 interchangeable chucks secured in kaizen foam. 2 bit cases below. Left side is for some longer bits and forstners.

image.png.0af9e3a4997f95c62b4cb13e41c9e5df.png

Driver goes in this side, along with space for a spare battery

image.png.9b784a6540c8a77f0fc3fb1111497974.png

The insert fits snuggly into about 1/3 of the Systainer

image.png.90ea67aa4781054c27e013c690fb930d.png

Now to figure out what to have in the other 2 inserts🤔

Edited by patches

On 9/15/2022 at 10:16 PM, Captain Fastbastard Mayhem said:

So. I'm selling some goodies, all in excellent nick. Basically getting rid of my powered tools to replace with battery operated so I'm not reliant on Eishkom. 

Stuff I have that needs to go

Metabo kgs216m sliding compound mitre saw - R 3,000

Makita 5903R 235mm circular w/ 4 just-sharpened blades and brand new brushes (installed this past weekend) - R 3,000

Bosch pks55 circular - R 1,000

Startel Pro 1900w plunge router w/ guide R 1,500

Dremel 3000 w/ router attachment and Tork Craft spares kit in Dremel toolbox - R 1,250

Elu electrical planer from the 80s (still in perfect order and w spare blades) - R 750

HMT  (Huster Machine Tool company) belt driven table saw with cast iron worksurface and router under-mount (had the startel router in place) - R 12,000 

Triton Mk3 workcentre - R 2,500

I also have a biscuit boy, details on that to follow once I've given it a once-over and checked it all out. 

All offers entertained, but don't take the piss. 😆

Slide into my DMs 

Are you thinking of going for 1 brand/platform to replace all those or a variety based on the tool?

If going with 1 brand, then Milwaukee, Hikoki (Metabo HPT/Hitachi) or Dewalt are the 3 that could do it, but 2 of which have some drawbacks (ie. Only Hikoki make a battery powered full size router and 10" table saw).

If mixing it up and the credit card is loaded and raring to go then based on your list, this would be my pick for replacements...

• Mitre Saw - Makita XGT 40V Mitre Saw (available in 216mm, 260mm and 305mm, according to your needs)
  • Big Circular Saw - Makita XGT 40V 230mm circular saw (they also to a 270mm). Rail compatible which is handy
  • Small Circular Saw - Makita XGT 40V Track/Plunge Saw. Yes, not strictly a small circular saw, but adds another dimension to things and great cut quality. Also as mentioned above, the rail can be used for the monster circular saw
  • 1/2" Plunge Router - Hikoki 36V 1/2" Plunge Router. Only battery powered 1/2" plunge router at present
  • Dremel - Milwaukee M12 Rotary Tool (or a cordless option from Dremel themselves). Plus side to the Milwaukee is the M12 battery platform has some great tools, especially drills and drivers). If you don't use a Dremel a lit, I'd recommend a trim router with plunge base options as a handy tool to have. Again, I'd go with the Makita 40V
  • Planer (I'm guessing hand plane?!) - Makita XGT 40V 82mm plane. Only battery powered option to offer up to a 4mm cut depth
  • Table Saw - Hikoki 36V 10" table saw. AFAIK only them and Metabo offer a 10" cordless table saw. Hikoki has a rack & pinion fence (not as smooth as the Dewalt's, but still better than many conventional fences)
  • Triton Workcentre - Not too many alternates here without going for individual setups, like router table for the Hikoki router etc. Festool make/made a setup (CMS I think it was) that could have a router or track saw mounted into it. May be discontinued and guaranteed to be pricey

Some bonus features of the tools above:

• All above Makita XGT 40V tools are AWS (bluetooth vacuum) compatable
  • Hikoki make a 36V AC battery adaptor so you could run the table saw and router on mains when convenient

By my estimation and based on pricing here in NZ, all the above (plus some batteries and chargers)  can be procured for around R65,000... bargain! haha!

I decided to *dust-off the little Peanut Mini Jig for a slightly different purpose. Instead of joinery, I just wanted to cut some neat keyholes in 9mm ply.

The purpose... to make a mounting bracket for the Systainer Drill Insert I built, so it can go on the French cleat wall when needed.

image.png.08eba4452a426158ef483d9eb99c645f.png

image.png.8fccb04561645f6c124b918504d31402.png

Ultimately there will be a workbench under the cleat wall, so being able to take the drill insert out the box and clip onto the wall to work with, will be handy.

*random though - we say dust-off when referring to utilising an item after a long period of no use. With woodwork tools it should be "dust-up"

Edited by patches

Bahahahaha! That's funny, Patches.

Yeah, if I would if I had endless cash. But when all I need from the mak stable is their cordless router (no other kind apart from Ryobi or Bosch Green available at the moment) and I can get a circular saw, multitool, jigsaw, random orbital, a 2.5Ah & 4Ah battery, 2 chargers and a sabre saw for less than ZAR 7,500.... I'm going Einhell. Especially when it's being backed by BPM Toolcraft, one of our best local distros here in CT.

Ja, All Mak would be nice, but unnecessary. If a tool messes up, I take it back. And I can replace every tool 2 to 3 times before I get to the cost of the equivalent Makitas.

Long weekend, wood, nails, glue, and too much free-time with the label machine...

image.png.af79ffd62f1bd373da7fcc9aa377a52a.png

Was tired of having all my screws in those organizer thingies and taking that out each time I just need 1 particular type. So purchased a bunch of small cheap food containers from K-Mart and spent a couple of hours fabri-cobbling... and tadaaah!

image.png.bfb9611b46874b1940ae1dcb319e1c20.png

Also didn't feel like routing out all the slots and dealing with the sawdust that ensues, so just made some MDF "sliders" and glued and nailed them on quick-smart with the use of spacer blocks.

Edited by patches

4 hours ago, Captain Fastbastard Mayhem said:

Bahahahaha! That's funny, Patches.

Yeah, if I would if I had endless cash. But when all I need from the mak stable is their cordless router (no other kind apart from Ryobi or Bosch Green available at the moment) and I can get a circular saw, multitool, jigsaw, random orbital, a 2.5Ah & 4Ah battery, 2 chargers and a sabre saw for less than ZAR 7,500.... I'm going Einhell. Especially when it's being backed by BPM Toolcraft, one of our best local distros here in CT.

Ja, All Mak would be nice, but unnecessary. If a tool messes up, I take it back. And I can replace every tool 2 to 3 times before I get to the cost of the equivalent Makitas.

That's a really good deal 👍

As for the router, the 18V Makita is great, and as it shares it's spindle size with the corded (and now 40V) version, there are plenty of aftermarket accessories and parts available.

On 9/26/2022 at 10:05 PM, patches said:

Long weekend, wood, nails, glue, and too much free-time with the label machine...

image.png.af79ffd62f1bd373da7fcc9aa377a52a.png

Was tired of having all my screws in those organizer thingies and taking that out each time I just need 1 particular type. So purchased a bunch of small cheap food containers from K-Mart and spent a couple of hours fabri-cobbling... and tadaaah!

image.png.bfb9611b46874b1940ae1dcb319e1c20.png

Also didn't feel like routing out all the slots and dealing with the sawdust that ensues, so just made some MDF "sliders" and glued and nailed them on quick-smart with the use of spacer blocks.

You make it look so easy …..

Spent a bit more time on my counter top. Resin dried, sanded it progressively through to 320 grit and then applied osmo oil uv protector. Delighted with the finish, although will lighten over the next couple of days as it dries.  This project has really gotten me interested In working with resin, so might try something else with it next. 

36B8CFE7-E7B8-403D-AD2D-337701AA0C20.jpeg

B91C263E-BBBC-4D5C-97CA-C408C4F89994.jpeg

5 hours ago, Eddy Gordo said:

So Ihave a small project and I am wanting to use clear epoxy to coat the wood. However I have no idea which one to use. Any recommendations please?

I found YouTube to be my friend when it came to the resin process. In terms of what product, I found a local fibreglass shop that had a range of resins and the guys in the shop were very happy to advise me on what to use 

6 hours ago, Eddy Gordo said:

So Ihave a small project and I am wanting to use clear epoxy to coat the wood. However I have no idea which one to use. Any recommendations please?

3 hours ago, Capricorn said:

i haven't used this product, but when i was looking for the stuff, i came across this website:
https://bastionpaint.co.za/clear-coating-epoxy-resin

1 hour ago, BigDL said:

I found YouTube to be my friend when it came to the resin process. In terms of what product, I found a local fibreglass shop that had a range of resins and the guys in the shop were very happy to advise me on what to use 

If you go by every YouTube Celebrity making river tables then Total Boat is apparently the only epoxy/resin to use, hahaha

Can't get Total Boat in NZ, but as the boat building industry here is pretty big, West Systems stuff is available. Not cheap though.

As for which types of epoxy, I have no clue. I believe the slower it cures the better the finish and less chance of bubbles, but that's based on youtube knowledge.