Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

On 11/3/2021 at 11:33 PM, carrera4s said:

Nicely done Patches!

Jip, a jack plane and a block plane is a good start.  But you need a solid bench, else your bench will just shake around... My "Festool"  MFTC was way too rickety when I tried using a hand plane on it.  And also too high.

Yes, they do not like plywood that much, but you will just have to sharpen a bit sooner than normal. 

Yeah, the portable little Bora Centipede bench I have does not like lateral movement at all. Even sanding and routing have it shifting slightly.

I did recently come into possession of an older Festool MFT (funny story in and of itself which I will share below), although the MFT will be a step up from the Bora, I have heard they are pretty shifty.

Whilst it won't quite be a roubo and nearly not as elegant as your creations, I do plan on building the MFT into more of a workstation/cart to store systainers, shop vac, etc below. Something like this, but with my own take on the functionality based on my tools and needs.

Multi-Function Mobile Cart For Festool MFT - The Wood Whisperer

Folding up the spindly legs with stop blocks under MFT to prevent shifting, and getting some decent stopping for the base (maybe more of the Rockler type wheels that lift up, as opposed to locking casters).

I thought of making it a height that allows for the MFT to be half propped off the side if one needs more workspace. The lower section should offer a more comfortable height for hand-tool operations.

Expandable (Triple Wide) Mobile Compact MFT3 Cart

I've heard the rough guideline for benches is something like:

Handtools: level with knuckles/mid fingers, when standing with arms at side

Powertools: level with wrists, when standing with arms at side

I also plan to get a new MFT top CNC'd out of Valchromat (fancy colourful MDF), as the one on my MFT has seen better days and the dog holes are a little loose.

I'm working on a design that allows for angles from 0-100deg  (from either side of the bench) in 1 degree increments by either angling the rail in 5 degree increments (magenta holes), finer tuning by angling work piece from 1-4deg (cyan holes) or super fine tuning by using the slots and a locking type dog.

image.png.2063bdc690a4968c9c69285625897ba8.png

So, as for how I came into an MFT by mistake...

There was an MFT 1080 (bench only) on $1 reserve auction. I often add things like that to my watch-list, out of curiosity. I barely ever buy. Anyway, the app sends a notification 5min before the auction closes. I was on the "thinking-seat" when the notification came through, and somehow between trying to unlock my phone by pin code because the face recognition was having hick-ups, then the face recognition kicking in and me accidentally clicking on the "BID" for the app and raised the previous bid by the min ($5), I suddenly found myself winning the auction. (true story, not just the one I tell my wife).

Bids are legally binding and cannot be retracted without the seller's involvement. For the next 5min I was sweating bullets, hoping the other bidders would come to the party and beat me. To my dismay they did not, and I left the think-tank with a slightly sick feeling.

Anyway, over the next day or so I looked for opportunities to turn my buyers-remorse into excitement, and I think my mishap was actually a blessing in disguise ????

Edited by patches

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, patches said:

Yeah, the portable little Bora Centipede bench I have does not like lateral movement at all. Even sanding and routing have it shifting slightly.

I did recently come into possession of an older Festool MFT (funny story in and of itself which I will share below), although the MFT will be a step up from the Bora, I have heard they are pretty shifty.

Whilst it won't quite be a roubo and nearly not as elegant as your creations, I do plan on building the MFT into more of a workstation/cart to store systainers, shop vac, etc below. Something like this, but with my own take on the functionality based on my tools and needs.

Multi-Function Mobile Cart For Festool MFT - The Wood Whisperer

Folding up the spindly legs with stop blocks under MFT to prevent shifting, and getting some decent stopping for the base (maybe more of the Rockler type wheels that lift up, as opposed to locking casters).

I thought of making it a height that allows for the MFT to be half propped off the side if one needs more workspace. The lower section should offer a more comfortable height for hand-tool operations.

Expandable (Triple Wide) Mobile Compact MFT3 Cart

I've heard the rough guideline for benches is something like:

Handtools: level with knuckles/mid fingers, when standing with arms at side

Powertools: level with wrists, when standing with arms at side

I also plan to get a new MFT top CNC'd out of Valchromat (fancy colourful MDF), as the one of the MFT I has seen better days and the dog holes are a little loose.

I'm working on a design that allos for angles from 0-100deg  (from eiteher side of the bench) in 1 degree increments by either angling the rail in degree increments (magenta holes), finer tuning by angling workpiece from 1-4deg (cyan holes) or super fine tuning by using the slots and a locking type dog.

image.png.2063bdc690a4968c9c69285625897ba8.png

So, as for how I came into an MFT by mistake...

There was an MFT 1080 (bench only) on $1 reserve auction. I often add things like that to my watch-list, out of curiosity. I barely ever buy. Anyway, the app sends a notification 5min before the auction closes. I was on the "thinking-seat" when the notification came through, and somehow between trying to unlock my phone by pin code because the face recognition was having hick-ups, then the face recognition kicking in and me accidentally clicking on the "BID" for the app and raised the previous bid by the min ($5), I suddenly found myself winning the auction. (true story, not just the one I tell my wife).

Bids are legally binding and cannot be retracted without the seller's involvement. For the next 5min I was sweating bullets, hoping the other bidders would come to the party and beat me. To my dismay they did not, and I left the think-tank with a slightly sick feeling.

Anyway, over the next day or so I looked for opportunities to turn my buyers-remorse into excitement, and I think my mishap was actually a blessing in disguise ????

Stocking up?

image.png.11529dd69b1c04a97f07f67ae83ed08b.png

As I don't have a 3m rail (yet) I had to do a slightly sketchy setup to trim all the legs to even lengths and a 13deg angle. The rail square was a life saver.

image.png.80695c1de82f063e6c1ffa72533cea3b.png

Neat feet!

image.png.75979e59dfcd0402097e7a05d1211d8d.png

Then it was time to peanut the top and frame

image.png.03112c6bb633743671244ddf144efc83.png

image.png.7216f20aae87c5b140a2c3249b734a43.png

Assemble, apply a coat of Briwax, and...

Tadaah!

image.png.1c7161bd21cca1bbb25bf77b763d65df.png

image.png.ac7e4dc118b64b8675d9d7dd415c5eb0.png

image.png.adebee943803e86190f2bb0a7e0394c3.png

7 hours ago, patches said:

As I don't have a 3m rail (yet) I had to do a slightly sketchy setup to trim all the legs to even lengths and a 13deg angle. The rail square was a life saver.

image.png.80695c1de82f063e6c1ffa72533cea3b.png

Neat feet!

image.png.75979e59dfcd0402097e7a05d1211d8d.png

Then it was time to peanut the top and frame

image.png.03112c6bb633743671244ddf144efc83.png

image.png.7216f20aae87c5b140a2c3249b734a43.png

Assemble, apply a coat of Briwax, and...

Tadaah!

image.png.1c7161bd21cca1bbb25bf77b763d65df.png

image.png.ac7e4dc118b64b8675d9d7dd415c5eb0.png

image.png.adebee943803e86190f2bb0a7e0394c3.png

Very nice Patches. DO NOT google patterned plywood btw..........

Had a similar need for a 10deg cut on a dresser's legs recently. Was done with a pencil, carpenter square and jigsaw. We make do with what we have.........
Did need more sanding than yours I imagine though!!

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

8 hours ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Very nice Patches. DO NOT google patterned plywood btw..........

Had a similar need for a 10deg cut on a dresser's legs recently. Was done with a pencil, carpenter square and jigsaw. We make do with what we have.........
Did need more sanding than yours I imagine though!!

If you're referring to Michael Alm's work, then yeah! Some amazing pieces, and great videos too!

So much table sawing

So much patience

So much glue! haha!

Anyone interested in a Ryobi table saw (Model 254L)?

Bought it to cut laminate flooring and no longer required.

Going cheap.

Measure twice, cut once, the old saying goes.

In my latest project, I measured once, committed that measurement to memory (in stead of writing it down), fished it out of the memory bank a day or so later to do some mind-maths on it, then used it (the most critical measurement of all), to design and construct the framework for an outdoor kitchen counter. Needless to say, I got the measurement wrong and the whole thing is about 100mm short, hahaha *face palm*

Fortunately I caught it now, before I start prepping for a concrete counter-top pour,

Anyway, here's where it's at...

Decided to design this one in Fusion360 (not my 1st language, quick and easy, AutoCAD). Why Fusion360, partly to keep my skills sharp, partly for the ease at which it creates drawings and BOQ's (or in my case, "cut-lists", based on the way I named the parts in the assembly)

image.png.e288bd5fc738d2e720f485f33017ca36.png

Here's the back view of the bench (hence the obstructive cross brace). This is just the frame, and the finished unit will be clad with marine-ply and have cupboard doors etc. Braai base is for a Weber Q3200 (which I have to "convert" into bench mountable). The Weber will be sitting on Hardie Board (fibre cement sheets) to protect the wood from the heat.

The concrete counter top will be cast in place using the Z-form system (plastic "snap-away" forms, eliminating the need for extensive building). 

The frame is built from 90x45mm (two-by-four) H3.2 treated structural timber (currently the rare stuff here in NZ), and fixed together the quickest and easiest way... 90mm galv framing nails in a nail gun. So freakin easy! It will also sit on 4x lockable casters.

I think I went a bit overboard on the frame design, concerned with my calculated concrete weight of around 100kg (another reason I want to cast in situ). I am likely going to remove the cross brace from the construction, even though it is there to prevent racking, so far this thing feels super solid!

Anyway, with about 2hrs of messing about in Fusion 360, I produced a cut-list, took a pic with my phone (no printer at home) and hit the mitre saw...

image.png.64e676443c59b10736d468bf69f254f2.png

image.png.cc89c8dbf0f474027ec0724570dc758b.png

Then after about 30min of cutting and another 45min of assembling, there was this... something that resembles a dodgy soap-box cart

image.png.8c0558068f49872856a291d4bf7aeb03.png

You can see the Weber that needs "converting" in the background.

Still need to add the outer legs to transfer top load down to bottom beam (taking load off nails). Also adding adjustable rubber feet on outer corners to add stability when cart is stationary, as casters are pretty close together (to keep them invisible within the cladding) and cart rocks front-to-back.

And here you can see where I built it about 100mm short...

image.png.7c8221e4e61c9f71c26e673e86688590.png

The plan is for it to fit pretty snugly between those 2 rear uprights (even with the 18mm ply cladding and 35mm counter-top overhang)

I have an idea or 2 for a fix, so will extend it out by about 90mm for a better fit.

So once again, measure twice... cut once.

16 hours ago, patches said:

Measure twice, cut once, the old saying goes.

In my latest project, I measured once, committed that measurement to memory (in stead of writing it down), fished it out of the memory bank a day or so later to do some mind-maths on it, then used it (the most critical measurement of all), to design and construct the framework for an outdoor kitchen counter. Needless to say, I got the measurement wrong and the whole thing is about 100mm short, hahaha *face palm*

Fortunately I caught it now, before I start prepping for a concrete counter-top pour,

Anyway, here's where it's at...

Decided to design this one in Fusion360 (not my 1st language, quick and easy, AutoCAD). Why Fusion360, partly to keep my skills sharp, partly for the ease at which it creates drawings and BOQ's (or in my case, "cut-lists", based on the way I named the parts in the assembly)

image.png.e288bd5fc738d2e720f485f33017ca36.png

Here's the back view of the bench (hence the obstructive cross brace). This is just the frame, and the finished unit will be clad with marine-ply and have cupboard doors etc. Braai base is for a Weber Q3200 (which I have to "convert" into bench mountable). The Weber will be sitting on Hardie Board (fibre cement sheets) to protect the wood from the heat.

The concrete counter top will be cast in place using the Z-form system (plastic "snap-away" forms, eliminating the need for extensive building). 

The frame is built from 90x45mm (two-by-four) H3.2 treated structural timber (currently the rare stuff here in NZ), and fixed together the quickest and easiest way... 90mm galv framing nails in a nail gun. So freakin easy! It will also sit on 4x lockable casters.

I think I went a bit overboard on the frame design, concerned with my calculated concrete weight of around 100kg (another reason I want to cast in situ). I am likely going to remove the cross brace from the construction, even though it is there to prevent racking, so far this thing feels super solid!

Anyway, with about 2hrs of messing about in Fusion 360, I produced a cut-list, took a pic with my phone (no printer at home) and hit the mitre saw...

image.png.64e676443c59b10736d468bf69f254f2.png

image.png.cc89c8dbf0f474027ec0724570dc758b.png

Then after about 30min of cutting and another 45min of assembling, there was this... something that resembles a dodgy soap-box cart

image.png.8c0558068f49872856a291d4bf7aeb03.png

You can see the Weber that needs "converting" in the background.

Still need to add the outer legs to transfer top load down to bottom beam (taking load off nails). Also adding adjustable rubber feet on outer corners to add stability when cart is stationary, as casters are pretty close together (to keep them invisible within the cladding) and cart rocks front-to-back.

And here you can see where I built it about 100mm short...

image.png.7c8221e4e61c9f71c26e673e86688590.png

The plan is for it to fit pretty snugly between those 2 rear uprights (even with the 18mm ply cladding and 35mm counter-top overhang)

I have an idea or 2 for a fix, so will extend it out by about 90mm for a better fit.

So once again, measure twice... cut once.

Concreete?

On 11/17/2021 at 2:31 AM, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Concreete?

On 11/17/2021 at 2:39 AM, Hairy said:

NZ Slang for Concrete ............ they like adding extra "e's"?

Concreete is what one gets when they get too carried away on the keyboard.

Glad to see I'm not the only offender...

image.png.0bdb54f1889bb095432c1a3535240279.png

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

You know that old adage "spell check twice, and post only once" :P 

Autocorrect can be a bugger too, especially when using Afrikaans.
I am not a Lewis Hamilton fan, and my phone seems to have picked it up. So coincidentally when I type "lelik", it corrects to Lewis..........

11 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Autocorrect can be a bugger too, especially when using Afrikaans.
I am not a Lewis Hamilton fan, and my phone seems to have picked it up. So coincidentally when I type "lelik", it corrects to Lewis..........

I am just here to pull @patcheschain :P

• 2 weeks later...

Black Friday sales got the better of me and I ended up with one of the big-boy rails...

image.png.770f0f21a6eb306801e0c9c367f68ec7.png

At 3m it would have been perfect for all the sheets of ply I was breaking down last week... haha oh well, it's here for next time.

Now I just need to find somewhere to store it in my already cluttered garage. Might try do something like this, one of my garage doors is juuust wide enough.

Show how you store your track saw guide rails