Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Oh and I made a simple holder for my sander to go on the French cleat wall...

image.png.147f74690565004acd7a2dec90f9737f.png

Handy tip...

Fasten some of those AliExpress 90 degree clamps down to some scrap, to make a quick jig for holding boards flush and square while gluing, screwing, and brad nailing.

image.png.62ac53d06a12442f5ed7aa65fa4da5d4.png 

Edited by patches

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, patches said:

Oh and I made a simple holder for my sander to go on the French cleat wall...

image.png.147f74690565004acd7a2dec90f9737f.png

How are those new bosch sanders? Been hoping they land here in ZA, but Bosch ZA is slooooooow to update their cordless product line

10 minutes ago, Capricorn said:

How are those new bosch sanders? Been hoping they land here in ZA, but Bosch ZA is slooooooow to update their cordless product line

I think it's pretty good. Sure it's no Festool, Mirka or 3M, but it's also a fraction of those prices.

I really like the hand position and profile. Way better than the shape of most other cordless random orbit sanders.

Scored pretty well on the Project Farm tests.

Edited by patches

have you used the festool and 3M sanders for any length of time previously?
I was keen on the 3M as well, not too badly priced as an import. But the Bosch ticks the cordless + existing battery platform tickboxes.

On 10/21/2022 at 8:05 PM, Capricorn said:

have you used the festool and 3M sanders for any length of time previously?
I was keen on the 3M as well, not too badly priced as an import. But the Bosch ticks the cordless + existing battery platform tickboxes.

Haven't used either, but the Festool ETS 150/5 EC, Mirka Deros 650 CV and 3M Xtract are all that next tier up from a prosumer carpentry tool, ok for dabbling in some wood-work to an actual professional  fine woodworking tool.

That said, it's probably like a factory tuned Ohlins rear shock... I'm nowhere near talented enough to notice the difference over the decent kit I already have.

So yeah, the Bosch GEX 18V-125 is pretty awesome in my books and I can't see myself upgrading sanders anytime soon.

On 10/24/2022 at 5:52 PM, mazambaan said:

I like your sander nest Patches but why such thick ply? Leftover maybe?  Something like 9mm should be enough I reckon.

Yeah, it was determined by the off-cuts on hand. I have tons of 18mm off-cuts, some long skinny 12mm, and no 9mm (only half sheets).

Plus with the 18mm and my hap-hazard construction I'm less likely to stuff up the brad nailing and blowout the sides of a skinnier piece 😅

(All the French cleat tool holders to date have been constructed from off-cuts).

9 hours ago, patches said:

My garage is far from that, but I have spent a small fortune on tools over the years. I still justify it to the wife with the whole "the tools pay for themselves"... but I doubt that they really do 😅🤫

That's the problem with being a salaried worker. 

If you had your own business the new tools become assets. And your accountant will be way more lenient than your wife.

ie: Own an Ice Cream shop, you need a table saw to replace that bit of shop fitting. And you can deduct the VAT. And reduce taxable income. AND write it off. 

we just don't talk about the measly salary I sometimes pay myself.

2 hours ago, PhilipV said:

That's the problem with being a salaried worker. 

If you had your own business the new tools become assets. And your accountant will be way more lenient than your wife.

ie: Own an Ice Cream shop, you need a table saw to replace that bit of shop fitting. And you can deduct the VAT. And reduce taxable income. AND write it off. 

we just don't talk about the measly salary I sometimes pay myself.

With your analogy, just owning an ice cream shop is already a winning situation :)

As per the toolbox thread, I managed to pickup a used filing cabinet for dirt cheap ($5), so with some ply and castors I had lying around, I thought it was time to dust-up the track saw and peanut jig and make a "skin" for it.

image.png.84138ed703883fb53b761ced0086c59e.png

18mm ply, mitred corners joined with glue peanut connectors (for strength)

image.png.262af8b266b4f2d9badae136f753e6d6.png

Thought I'd add a nice little bevel on the face, cos why not.

The intended use is tool storage, and perhaps a base station for my drill press.

And speaking of track saws, my previously fabri-cobbled track saw storage brackets gave out one evening (damaging the corners of my 1m rail 🤬 )

So I had to whip up another set, this time they should be a fair bit sturdier...

image.png.3d28feb58b230f9d2ce7c9f3f88f7390.png

Edited by patches

• 2 weeks later...

Only about a year overdue, but...

I finally cut, varnished (a gazzillion coats of marine stuff) and fitted the cupboard doors for the outdoor kitchen project

image.png.ac8c9fc0f1c8b20ff1206ecb6a964527.png

image.png.4be5ae704200a219af886955f58e28e0.png

image.png.49270b3091c172ec17f50ab4e9c44987.png

It's not completely done yet. I still need to dismantle the Weber and figure out how to mount it onto the right side of the benchtop.

But one step closer!

• 2 weeks later...

Any easy/smart hacks for milling lumber without a jointer?

image.png.03bc89715e1923294b65824e6b7e1366.png

I went to the Men's Shed this morning to mill some maple. Their jointer is broken and I didn't have the materials (or patience) to build a sled and shim the lumber to send it through the planer.

One of the other guys there suggested hand planing. Again, I lack the patience (and more importantly) the skill for that.

So my lazy-guy hack was to

• cut boards to very-rough dimensions (as is good practice with the jointer anyway)
  • flatten one face on the belt sander (they have a large one with a cast iron bed)
  • flatten the other face on the planer
  • flip over and re-plane the sanded face (as I near the final dimension)
  • square up one edge with the track saw (was not keen on potential kickback from sending a rough side through the table saw)
  • square the other side on the table saw (when I feel like setting it up)

Turned out ok. Loads of tear-out on some boards, no matter how I orientated the grain. I've stickered them and will leave to acclimate in the garage for a few days before checking for movement and reworking.

image.png.7c62e34181a179ac9602af463d357ba6.png

(solid maple is beautiful but so much more effort than ply 😅)

Edited by patches