Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Slightly off topic, Anyone know where I can get kitchen counter top/formica in Joburg? Preferably close to the east rand. I am busy selling one of my rental units and have an insurance claim in for some water damage to the kitchen counter and the insurance/body corporate are busy stuffing me around so need to change it/get it changed ASAP myself. The colour is a light grey and I would prefer to try match that so I only need to replace the damaged area. If I can't match it I will need 2 pieces(3600x600), If I can match i'll only need 1. I obviously don't need a top dollar job as I am selling this so it just needs to look good.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170812_132911.jpg

When you cut the new tops, seal the open edges with normal white glue, not silicon. Silicon comes off after a while. The white glue won't.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my word.... That workmanship! I don't even need to click the link to know that they'll cost an arm and a leg. 

Infill planes are quite easy to make, IF you have the time. The Scottish Infill Plane makers of old only had basic metalworking tools like files, hammers and anvils etc to make them. Dovetailing and peening the sole is not that difficult, but requires patience.

Edited by Moridin

Any Mega Mica or Builders or Cashbuild

Tried the local builders and cashbuild and they don't have the grey. They also not the cheapest. Looked online and found a few places in the south. Was kinda hoping someone had a connection..............

Tried the local builders and cashbuild and they don't have the grey. They also not the cheapest. Looked online and found a few places in the south. Was kinda hoping someone had a connection..............

"I obviously don't need a top dollar job as I am selling this so it just needs to look good."

Replace it with a good quality top like Formica. It will cost a bit more - add R1k on to your selling price (that's not how much more it will cost). It will look better and last longer and the buyer won't sit with a crappy top. Think if you were buying the place.

Just do it !!

"I obviously don't need a top dollar job as I am selling this so it just needs to look good."

Replace it with a good quality top like Formica. It will cost a bit more - add R1k on to your selling price (that's not how much more it will cost). It will look better and last longer and the buyer won't sit with a crappy top. Think if you were buying the place.

Just do it !!

It's being registered this week so selling price has already been signed for. This is now coming out of my pocket(I have a feeling insurance might not pay as they being difficult-The roof leaked in January and I had them fix that then afterwards the counter top swelled and they saying I should have reported it at the same time the roof leaked), hence wanting it done cheaply. I looked into getting 3 quotes and then pay an average to the buyer and they can do what they want as the damage isn't that bad but that is about 6k so that's not going to happen.

It's being registered this week so selling price has already been signed for. This is now coming out of my pocket(I have a feeling insurance might not pay as they being difficult-The roof leaked in January and I had them fix that then afterwards the counter top swelled and they saying I should have reported it at the same time the roof leaked), hence wanting it done cheaply. I looked into getting 3 quotes and then pay an average to the buyer and they can do what they want as the damage isn't that bad but that is about 6k so that's not going to happen.

R6k is nuts, it is really easy to do and way cheaper than that. I had a burst pipe in a place I was letting out and it wrecked the counter top. Just went to a dedicated wood place that mostly does boards and picked up a length of it. The sink part is a little more tricky but you can just trace the shape out then cut the hole for it.

Im pretty sure the whole job took just under an hour start to end and cost me around R400.

Slightly off topic, Anyone know where I can get kitchen counter top/formica in Joburg? Preferably close to the east rand. I am busy selling one of my rental units and have an insurance claim in for some water damage to the kitchen counter and the insurance/body corporate are busy stuffing me around so need to change it/get it changed ASAP myself. The colour is a light grey and I would prefer to try match that so I only need to replace the damaged area. If I can't match it I will need 2 pieces(3600x600), If I can match i'll only need 1. I obviously don't need a top dollar job as I am selling this so it just needs to look good.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170812_132911.jpg

Boardmaster.  Wide variety and good prices.  Unfortunately in the South.

Hopefully this is the one you are looking for:

http://www.boardmaster.co.za/fog-grey-counter-top.html

Edited by carrera4s

R6k is nuts, it is really easy to do and way cheaper than that. I had a burst pipe in a place I was letting out and it wrecked the counter top. Just went to a dedicated wood place that mostly does boards and picked up a length of it. The sink part is a little more tricky but you can just trace the shape out then cut the hole for it.

Im pretty sure the whole job took just under an hour start to end and cost me around R400.

I will be doing mine this coming weekend.

Formica top, 1800x600 is just under R600.00 from Brights. Quite sure I can get it cheaper, if I shop around. As Brights is close to my house, I'm not even gonna bother chasing better prices.

Will use the existing top to trace sink outline. drill pilot holes and use jigsaw to cut it out. That will be the hardest part, and take the longest.

Luckily my faucet is wall mounted, saves me the hassle of disconnecting the water lines.

Boardmaster.  Wide variety and good prices.  Unfortunately in the South.

Hopefully this is the one you are looking for:

http://www.boardmaster.co.za/fog-grey-counter-top.html

LOL that's who is coming out tops so far. Already spoke to a lady named Lisa there and looks like I will be going with them. It's R200 for delivery, I do have a double cab but for that price it's easier and TBH with my bakkie its probably cheaper. 

Thanks.

Edit: That one looks close but to be safe I will replace everything.

Edited by Long Wheel Base

I will be doing mine this coming weekend.

Formica top, 1800x600 is just under R600.00 from Brights. Quite sure I can get it cheaper, if I shop around. As Brights is close to my house, I'm not even gonna bother chasing better prices.

Will use the existing top to trace sink outline. drill pilot holes and use jigsaw to cut it out. That will be the hardest part, and take the longest.

Luckily my faucet is wall mounted, saves me the hassle of disconnecting the water lines.

You are lucky your old top is still intact, mine literally fell to pieces when it was taken off. It will be quick and easy the way you suggested. Glad you have a solution for it. 

Just make sure your jigsaw can cope with cutting that hole for the basin. Mine proved under-powered for the job, that compacted wood is dense and the blade struggles.

Ja. Been there, done that and complete stuffed up the job. Had severe blade deflection. If I were doing that cutting, I would cut away from the line, and then use a router to clean up the edge.

Ja. Been there, done that and complete stuffed up the job. Had severe blade deflection. If I were doing that cutting, I would cut away from the line, and then use a router to clean up the edge.

But who cares what the cut looks like, it gets hidden by the sink / basin. NOBODY IS GONNA SEE IT.....  :devil:  :ph34r:

Edit: And as far as the end cuts are concerned, got a covering strip to cover that mess up.....  :whistling:  :ph34r:

Edited by Wannabe

But who cares what the cut looks like, it gets hidden by the sink / basin. NOBODY IS GONNA SEE IT.....  :devil:  :ph34r:

Edit: And as far as the end cuts are concerned, got a covering strip to cover that mess up.....  :whistling:  :ph34r:

My OCD will have me a certified lunatic after one year looking at the sink.  :wacko:

My OCD will have me a certified lunatic after one year looking at the sink.  :wacko:

He is selling the sink with the house so don't think OCD will enter.

I would be thinking about k@k job I did for next year.

LOL... sounds like I'm not the only one with an OCD kick that hurts. I did some stone tiling for the first time over the weekend. It turned out really nice (if I may say so myself), and the missus is super chuffed with the end product but my tying in of the stone pattern wasn't perfect on the first few tiles so now I'm thinking of pulling them off and redoing them. The missus is convinced I've lost my mind for worrying about something so minor but it will bother me every time I look at them :blush: Guess it's a good excuse to stay out the kitchen :wacko: