Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

It was my birthday on Wednesday so my wife was nice enough to get me some woodworking tools.

Narex birdcage awl which is really cool for starting holes and drilling light pilot holes.

Narex chisel set, these things really impressed me with their quality. Not exactly Veritas or Lie-Nielson standards but way better than most you can find locally.

A Beech mallet that she was going to doodle for me, the colours started bleeding into the grain so she drew a template that I have printed out to transfer on to the mallet.

Veritas marking gauge, this thing is pure awesomeness!! I cant help but starting at it sometimes...

Hamlet skew chisel and a Narex traditional grind bowl gouge.

I really need to sort out my tool storage now and get my garage organised.

post-4822-0-48733600-1510940848_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rocket-Boy

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I am going to leave the Lie-Nielsen Catalogue that I received from BPM Toolcraft somewhere where my wife can see it. As a hint. Maybe my wife will get the same idea as your wife. 

Edited by Moridin

I think I am going to leave the Lie-Nielsen Catalogue that I received from BPM Toolcraft somewhere where my wife can see it. As a hint. Maybe my wife will get the same idea as your wife.

And circle what you like.

I sommer take my wife to the shops and show her what I want. She never buys tools as presents, but somehow she gets my father to give me exactly what I need.

It was my birthday on Wednesday so my wife was nice enough to get me some woodworking tools.

Narex birdcage awl which is really cool for starting holes and drilling light pilot holes.

Narex chisel set, these things really impressed me with their quality. Not exactly Veritas or Lie-Nielson standards but way better than most you can find locally.

A Beech mallet that she was going to doodle for me, the colours started bleeding into the grain so she drew a template that I have printed out to transfer on to the mallet.

Veritas marking gauge, this thing is pure awesomeness!! I cant help but starting at it sometimes...

Hamlet skew chisel and a Narex traditional grind bowl gouge.

I really need to sort out my tool storage now and get my garage organised.

attachicon.giftools.jpg

Nice.

Got almost exactly all of those tools on the pic, except for the turning chisels.

I'll leave the Lie Nielsen for those hipster woodworkers with workshops cleaner than my kitchen. But a low angle no. 62 is somewhere very down on my shopping list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also got one from them, so many drool worthy things in there.

Nice.

Got almost exactly all of those tools on the pic, except for the turning chisels.

I'll leave the Lie Nielsen for those hipster woodworkers with workshops cleaner than my kitchen. But a low angle no. 62 is somewhere very down on my shopping list.

The chisels really impressed me, the turning chisels are just as good quality. I was comparing them with the Sorby chisels my dad has and I prefer the Narex ones to be honest.

The chisels really impressed me, the turning chisels are just as good quality. I was comparing them with the Sorby chisels my dad has and I prefer the Narex ones to be honest.

Yeah.

Going to add a 40 mm maybe, and a few mortise chisels still.

I got a nice performance bonus and bought myself 2 LN chisels and 2 Dia-Sharp diamond sharpening plates this past week.

My workshop is still on chaos though, but working on it. Rocket-Boy inspired me to finish my workbench. I need 2 2400 X 100 X 70 pine beams though to finish the top.

Today I converted one of my Stanley Bailey #5 planes to a scrub plane.

I will post pics once my wife returns with my phone. She and her sister is doing the Sanlam Invitational and needed a phone, since she broke her own which is in for repairs.

Edited by Moridin

I will post pics once my wife returns with my phone. .

Sounds interesting. Phone her and tell her to hurry up. Need to see those pics.

I'm still on the hunt for an old made in USA No.5. And if I can find a No. 3 it would be nice too.

My bonus and sars refund went all into tools this year. [emoji21]

Here be the pics.

Here I am trying my best to true a pine beam that is twisted like a corkscrew with the newly set up scrub plane.

Here is a close up of the #5 converted to scrub plane, with lots of thick shavings.

And with said beam put away and shavings cleaned to show where I am at now. I am running out of beams. So far 2 beams unsuitable for the top. I simply had to plane away too much to make them true. 2 still left that I can use. They seem fine and will only need minor planing. 5 beams laminated so far.

Edited by Moridin

Sounds interesting. Phone her and tell her to hurry up. Need to see those pics.

I'm still on the hunt for an old made in USA No.5. And if I can find a No. 3 it would be nice too.

My bonus and sars refund went all into tools this year. [emoji21]

Im still trying to make sense of all the planes I have but Im sure I have a no3 for you. I do have a USA no5c but its my main one. Got a ton of English no5's, some record no5's and some Falcon no5's.

I got a nice performance bonus and bought myself 2 LN chisels and 2 Dia-Sharp diamond sharpening plates this past week.

My workshop is still on chaos though, but working on it. Rocket-Boy inspired me to finish my workbench. I need 2 2400 X 100 X 70 pine beams though to finish the top.

I will post pics once my wife returns with my phone. She and her sister is doing the Sanlam Invitational and needed a phone, since she broke her own which is in for repairs.

Last check I had 17 no5's and converting one to a scrub was definitely on the list. Did you round out the blade and widen the throat on it? Anything else you needed to do?

Here be the pics.

Here I am trying my best to true a pine beam that is twisted like a corkscrew with the newly set up scrub plane.

attachicon.gifIMG_1909.JPG

Here is a close up of the #5 converted to scrub plane, with lots of thick shavings.

attachicon.gifIMG_1910.JPG

And with said beam put away and shavings cleaned to show where I am at now. I am running out of beams. So far 2 beams unsuitable for the top. I simply had to plane away too much to make them true. 2 still left that I can use. They seem fine and will only need minor planing. 5 beams laminated so far.

attachicon.gifIMG_1911.JPG

Making great progress there, its going to be an awesome bench.

Most of the pine we get here is warped, cupped and twisted! Was probably the best thing about the pine that I got from Germany in that it was relatively straight.

Last check I had 17 no5's and converting one to a scrub was definitely on the list. Did you round out the blade and widen the throat on it? Anything else you needed to do?

Just rounded the blade. Thing about using the #5 is that the throat is more open than the #4 which is supposed to be a smoother. But I might open it a bit more as there were a few shavings that got stuck.

In the week I got my maintenance guys to take up some carpets in an office at work, as they needed replacing. Plan was to put in some of those rubber tiles (office is used as a printer/fax room and stationery store). Turns out the wooden floor planks under the carpet came out really nicely after the contact adhesive was cleaned off with thinners, and then sanded. Makes no sense why people would want to cover such beautiful wood with shitty carpet.

c7585a108718292484e2cc1498360917.jpg