Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

I broke my mallet. Dammit.

So, next quick project, if I have time between paying customers, would be a mallet. Now I've got some stuff in the scrap bin:

Rhodesian Teak - 45mm thick

Kiaat, plenty of 20 and 18mm offcuts

Beech, 22mm

African Walnut, 10mm and 18mm

Red Mahogany, 22mm

Chamfuti, 20mm - I hate this stuff

Stinkwood, 18mm

Yellowwood, 18mm

Plenty Pine offcuts, that gets sent to the fireplace once a week

I'm leaning towards a Rhodesian Teak head with some sort of laminated handle - maybe a thin strip of walnut, say 5mm, in between two layers of beech of +-15mm?

What say you?

(I'll also be turning a round mallet out of RT to use for fine chiseling)

Definitely a beech handle - absorbs shock nicely - I would make the head out of beech too - mostly because I have a beech mallet that's about 60 years old and still going strong.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For Grebel and other boat lovers

Argie 15 - this guy went overboard and has lotsa money http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?185862-Argie-15-with-balanced-lug-build-in-Vancouver-BC

Ex Saffer who kept his head and built a lovely boat --->http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?156073-Argie-15-construction-journal&highlight=argie+15+capefox

Don't let the pictures put you off, what seems like a long drawn out process is actually not and well within any DIY'ers abilities

Hi Grebs, thanks.

This is Dudley Dix designed boat called the Argie 10 (10foot/3.1m). www.dixdesign.com

There are a few good designers around, but Dix is South African and the boats have a pedigree. He designs a 15 foot on similar lines called the Argie 15, which will suit you very well for a family boat. Also a 3:1.

Edit: with full length seats though. have look around the builder projects, I'll send you a link to build file on the wooden boat forum on a South African in the US that built and Argie 15, lots to learn there.

See the link here --> http://www.dixdesign.com/argie15.htm

I recon the Argie 15 will take at least 200 - 250 hours, but there are people that did it in 180hours. I doubt the 180hours though. I built the Argie 10 to see if I understood the basics and also tried some higher grade stuff which worked out well.

I will now do an Argie 15 next, next winter, in the interim I'm building two SUP's out of plywood as soon as the Argie 10 is done. His plans are also very easy to read and the price is super affordable.

First, two SUP's in plywood for the boys

Thanks Ed! Did you buy the plans and mark out everything yourself or did you spring for the paper templates?

Looks like a lot of fun and must be very rewarding and satisfying when you launch it for the first time!!

Thanks Ed! Did you buy the plans and mark out everything yourself or did you spring for the paper templates?

Looks like a lot of fun and must be very rewarding and satisfying when you launch it for the first time!!

I did the lofting myself, very easy process, takes about 2 hours and sharp carpenters pencil.

Dix also designed this, which might be right up your alley -->http://www.dixdesign.com/inlet_runner_16.htm

Also search boats made from 2 sheets of plywood, some interesting designs and very easy builds.

I love pocket holes. Only thing I DON'T like about them is the gigantic hole they leave!

BTW Panties, a tip i picked up from my grandfather when filling holes - mix a generous helping of the wood shavings and sawdust into the filler before plugging it in the hole. Helps match the hue of the wood more closely than naked filler, and also accepts stain more readily. 

Another way to fill, especially smaller gaps: sand and push the sawdust into the gap. Then drip super-glue on. Sometimes you need to repeat a few times, especially if the glue isn't runny enough. Final clean up is done with a sharp chisel. 

I picked up a piece (50cm diameter by 1m) of an old (dead) Oak tree that was being cut down on the pavement of Houghton, it had  a massive trunk, guess at least 80 years old. I wonder what Jhb Roads does with all that valuable wood?

And just as well all the looters that abound haven't picked up on the price of hardwoods ..

I picked up a piece (50cm diameter by 1m) of an old (dead) Oak tree that was being cut down on the pavement of Houghton, it had  a massive trunk, guess at least 80 years old. I wonder what Jhb Roads does with all that valuable wood?

And just as well all the looters that abound haven't picked up on the price of hardwoods ..

I go past Arderne Gardens in Claremont quite often - oak trees, birch, beech, redwoods - all the wood gets sawn up into little 30cm lengths, then mulched. Travesty! Some of those boughs would yield good planks, or even the smaller bits would give turners lots of joy.

I go past Arderne Gardens in Claremont quite often - oak trees, birch, beech, redwoods - all the wood gets sawn up into little 30cm lengths, then mulched. Travesty! Some of those boughs would yield good planks, or even the smaller bits would give turners lots of joy.

WHAAAAAAAT!?

My suburb has Oak and Ash trees - I've hunted down the guys doing the trimming for the municipality and offered them R100 every time they drop wood at my place that I can use. No oak so far, the trees are already massive and aren't trimmed all that often, but made a couple of nice ash knife handles from their scraps. 

My suburb has Oak and Ash trees - I've hunted down the guys doing the trimming for the municipality and offered them R100 every time they drop wood at my place that I can use. No oak so far, the trees are already massive and aren't trimmed all that often, but made a couple of nice ash knife handles from their scraps. 

I have pleanty of oak scraps from my tree trimming - been piled up for a year or two (outside and randomly) what size is your minimum? most pieces are short - 20 - 30 cm, but also 20 - 30 cm in diameter.

I have pleanty of oak scraps from my tree trimming - been piled up for a year or two (outside and randomly) what size is your minimum? most pieces are short - 20 - 30 cm, but also 20 - 30 cm in diameter.

He he that's like asking how long is a piece of string :) Normally if I can make something out of it, it's large enough.

He he that's like asking how long is a piece of string :) Normally if I can make something out of it, it's large enough.

I will scratch out a few for you - see what I can find.. :)

The Jhb roads guys had cut up the the tree into loadable logs, I gave them a R30  'lunch box' to load the one I wanted to the back of the bakkie with their picker thing. I have the feeling they didn't attach much value to the wood.

There is another dead oak tree just outside Old Eds, although the termites have made a B line for that one. It will probably stand there until it falls down, Jhb City (all departments) dont do pro-active maintenance, the only respond to logged calls.

A couple of years ago I came across some guys in Upper Houghton actually harvesting  a dead Oak, they had a whole scaffolding rig to guide a long chainsaw so that they could cut planks. No one blinked an eyelid or noticed (except me probably). I am quite sure they didn't have any permission, but at least that wood didn't end up in the mulcher.

Edited by kosmonooit