Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Guys, i must just thank you all, i have learnt so much from reading your post, watching the video links, seeing your at work. 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hammer time.

One of these is Ed-zulu's, the other two mine. Didn't get around to sanding them, just a quick paraffin rub to show the color. Head is Rhodesian Teak and handle is Beech.

post-29544-0-55772500-1469083596_thumb.jpeg

Small chisel mallet I'm making, Camelthorn head with Cherry handle. I'm going to wrap the handle with paracord to give it a little more bulk, otherwise, it's come along ok. Camelthorn is amazing on the lathe, comes off smooth as butter but blunts a chisel faster than Chinese Algebra.

post-29544-0-65649100-1469083603_thumb.jpeg

Hammer time.

One of these is Ed-zulu's, the other two mine. Didn't get around to sanding them, just a quick paraffin rub to show the color. Head is Rhodesian Teak and handle is Beech.

attachicon.gifhammer time.jpeg

Small chisel mallet I'm making, Camelthorn head with Cherry handle. I'm going to wrap the handle with paracord to give it a little more bulk, otherwise, it's come along ok. Camelthorn is amazing on the lathe, comes off smooth as butter but blunts a chisel faster than Chinese Algebra.

attachicon.gifkameel.jpeg

B-E-A-UTIFUL!

Edit: Thor who?

Edited by Ed-Zulu

Woah, dude - that grain is beautiful!

I WANT ONE!!!

I've got one more block of camelthorn that I'm trying to figure out how to split properly - will probably get four or five 3 inch mallets out of it. I'll let you know once I get it split :)

Your thumb's gonna be effing thor if you hit it with these ... lol. Weighed the heads, they're around 850 - 900 grams each.

PERFECT for those mallets. Just enough for a gentle, controlled nudge and not needing to swing it like a madman. Though that would be fun...

With sawdust running in my veins, the technology behind it, intrigues me.

CT scanning at 120m/min. Our state hospitals should consider this [emoji14]h34r:

https://youtu.be/xK4CdNT3DK4

Flippin brilliant.

I'm sure that must set you back a few zim dollars.

I've got one more block of camelthorn that I'm trying to figure out how to split properly - will probably get four or five 3 inch mallets out of it. I'll let you know once I get it split :)

Please let me know too, as said, want to give my old man something nice for once

What is the size? Pictures?

Maybe I could help

What is the size? Pictures?

Maybe I could help

It's not big, just a pain. Maybe 50cm X 50cm X30 or so, sort of a wedge shape. I can't find my chainsaw, so need to try and figure it out on the bandsaw and table saw. Will see if I can get a pic tonight.

I'll post some pics and prices of the mallets once done.

Hammer time.

attachicon.gifhammer time.jpeg

attachicon.gifkameel.jpeg

How do one make that deep square holes?

How do one make that deep square holes?

From what I see, it's 2 separate blocks bonded together so it'd either be tablesaw (multiple passes) or router with a straight edge bit or bandsaw and chisel, then glue together.

If it were one piece - morticing attachment for a drill (drills a square hole) or drill with long drill bit and painstaking chisel work to be finished with an assortment of files. 

I'm going for the tablesaw approach.  

Edited by Myles Mayhew

From what I see, it's 2 separate blocks bonded together so it'd either be tablesaw (multiple passes) or router with a straight edge bit or bandsaw and chisel, then glue together.

If it were one piece - morticing attachment for a drill (drills a square hole) or drill with long drill bit and painstaking chisel work to be finished with an assortment of files. 

I'm going for the tablesaw approach.  

Thanks! That drill attachment look impressive on YouTube  :thumbup:

Learn so much on this discussion. I suck with wood - no margin for error & no fix-ups with a hammer afterwards like metal  :blush: