Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

9fa84fa46c38fc80da690e7b2399eaa4.jpg

These things. It is just the top black piece.

I have a few boxes of old parquet flooring and was wondering the same at one point.

One idea i had was to make up a nice backgammon table top, and inlay the markers with some other random exotic material.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll have to take my word for the wood-working part on this one. It is a magazine to hold shotgun shells. The frame is marine ply and it is covered with leather. Traditionally the box was made from oak, but I went a bit cheapskate on tradition. (Scottish genes'n all.) Gentlemans luggage!

post-17716-0-18136000-1469199846_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-02400600-1469199868_thumb.jpg

Those are way cool. Just curious but how does the king and queen post length work? Is the king post still the exact length as it is there or do you have an imaginary line across the bottom to calculate the king post height? Usually its easy to work out the pitch of the roof from the king post height but in this case I imagine it cant be easy.

The below pics show some of the complexity of the design. The king post sits on the top of the arch, not sure though if you'd straighten out the arch if it would line up with the "top" sides.

bc78cf0a504d5d5c26bc885d31c18585.jpg

fc8846ded51799d3fbeccc8ed978789f.jpg

9fa84fa46c38fc80da690e7b2399eaa4.jpg

These things. It is just the top black piece.

I can't help thinking there are really constructive uses for this, or some market that needs it. The thing is, you can't export Ebony anywhere; it's very high on the CITES list of controlled woods. It's particularly endangered, as much as the Ivory. But please, don't do anything rash with it. The only other source is very old bowling balls, which were often turned from a solid piece. These days, the balls are sought-after by turners for delicate handles and such.

Hey guys, I know this is going to show my naivety here,

but can this be right and if so please explain the massive price differences

No. 4 Planner

attachicon.gifWPLANE-004_2.JPG

Ardendorf no name brand special @ R175

Hardware Centre : Stanley @ R3800 & Veritas @ R5275

R3800 for a Stanley? No way. They're about R380 at Builders' RipOff. And they're absolute rubbish now. I haven't read one good report on a modern Stanley on any of the many forums I go to.

Yes, the best suggestion is an old one that you can pick up at flea markets, pawn shops, second-hand dealers and the like. Stanley or Record. R200 should get a good one, but take a reliable straight edge or square with you to check the flatness of the bottom. It's likely to show a little light in the middle which is OK ... but only a very little. Check too that it has the right blade, no cracks, the proper chip-breaker and cap iron.

I think Paul Sellers has some good stuff on Youtube or his website about selecting old planes. If you want to learn more about hand-tools from a really, really seasoned old codger, he's undoubtedly the man. 

The below pics show some of the complexity of the design. The king post sits on the top of the arch, not sure though if you'd straighten out the arch if it would line up with the "top" sides.

Those nasty perfed steel reinforcing plates really spoil this no end. It's a shoddy and cheap workman's solution to a nice engineering vision. Surely there were more elegant solutions?

Those nasty perfed steel reinforcing plates really spoil this no end. It's a shoddy and cheap workman's solution to a nice engineering vision. Surely there were more elegant solutions?

Agreed they don't look nice at all. I have just had a garage/workshop built at home and decided to go with no ceiling for a few reasons. I want to store stuff up there and also I love the engineering behind trusseses and just enjoy looking at them. So I told the carpenter that I don't mind of its not "flat" so instead of those plates they used nails which yes you can see but it's not obvious. Then we went and put 10mm stainless bolts through the king and queen posts both top and bottom.

I would love to see some ideas on what looks more elegant than those plates because a flat truss looks better.

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

Edited by Long Wheel Base

Wow I would love to have seen those been put in place. I love how they are all connected on the side(front where you drive in). It must be a very strong structure.

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

Edited by Long Wheel Base

THANK YOU! thought I was the only one

Couldn't find the lace making bobbins I turned, but this is what they look like. About 12 cm long and 3 - 6 mm in diameter. They are used to spool the thread on and then to weave the lace into a pattern. Intricate isn't the word.  

post-17716-0-96725200-1469254577_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-85010300-1469254587_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR