I actually want to try those toe socks meant for running sometime, would probably take a bit longer to put on but they are supposed to be better at preventing blisters.

I have a couple of pairs ,if its the compression sport socks you referring to. ( or similar)

Do they prevent blisters, I cant say for sure but I did have far less blisters at IM this year than last year but blisters are not only a factor of socks so difficult to conclusively say.

They are a tight fit (size 43-47 ) and I fall in the middle of the size and do take a lil longer to put on. I have become conditioned to them now and after spending 299 on a pair of socks they better do what they say they do so I will carry on using them.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a couple of pairs ,if its the compression sport socks you referring to. ( or similar)

Do they prevent blisters, I cant say for sure but I did have far less blisters at IM this year than last year but blisters are not only a factor of socks so difficult to conclusively say.

They are a tight fit (size 43-47 ) and I fall in the middle of the size and do take a lil longer to put on. I have become conditioned to them now and after spending 299 on a pair of socks they better do what they say they do so I will carry on using them.

I generally use compression socks on longer stuff, I find it keeps the shin splints away when I run. Only hassle is some brands have a fairly tight fit around the toes and if they are squished together then I get blisters on them.

Still I dont really care that most people have a laugh at my "rugby socks" they do a good job for me.

I also bought some first ascent compression socks.  Must admit they are very comfy and tight.  If you do not want to use the full sock, how about only wearing the calf compression wear, without the toe section?  Any comments or feedback on these?

Most blisters come from not tying shoes tight enough, they need to tight enough to hold your foot and not have it sliding around inside the shoe. Tighter the better

Also make sure they well worn in before a big race.

Edit: also try not to get water running into the shoes when at the water stations, lots squeeze sponges on their heads and bodies that run down legs into shoes... wet feet blister easier

This is exactly what I did rooky mistake pouring water over my head and then my shoes were swimming so my feet took a hammering - never again that's for sure!

Clip On Tri Bars 

Does it make a difference 

What do I need to know when buying one? 

I bought a pair for last years Durban 70.3. They made me noticeably quicker on my road bike although i could not get a particularly good fit with them. I decided to use them anyway and had a storming bike leg. Unfortunately that was followed by a horrible run due to a ITB strain. The injury resulted in a run 1min/km slower than expected and was caused by the incorrect fit.

The bottom line is I wouldn't recommend them unless you are sure the fit is correct.

Edited by @ndy

This is exactly what I did rooky mistake pouring water over my head and then my shoes were swimming so my feet took a hammering - never again that's for sure!

I sweat so much it makes very little difference what I do with the water.  :eek:

I have not worn socks yet, I keep some in my Transition kit but I always leave them behind. So far I have had no blisters or discomfort. I' pretty sure I'll use them if and when I do a full IM.

not saying don't use the sponges as we need to cool down... just try to lean forward so the excess water falls to the floor from your head or neck and not down your body to your feet

anyone have a nice HR based half ironman training plan they care to share?

I am using IronFit Secrets for Half Iron Distance by Don and Melanie Fink

I bought it in the kindle store and use it on my tablet.

It contains 3 sixteen week programs - Competitive, Intermediate and Just Finish

Really enjoying the training program but proof will be in the pudding on 19 June..

How do you refrain from drinking too much red wine and playing golf in-between IM races?

Every day after work I actually relax - for the first time in 4 years. Love it. No good for fitness though...

How do you refrain from drinking too much red wine and playing golf in-between IM races?

Every day after work I actually relax - for the first time in 4 years. Love it. No good for fitness though...

well I suppose if you earned your stripes, you can enjoy the spoils.

Hi, I need some more advice on gear.  I only started out recently, have a pair of tekkies and a mountain bike.  I am really thinking of a 70.3 next year.  What should I save up for first?  Wetsuit, trisuit, road bike.  I think probably a skinny ass bike? 

Were do you guys do your shopping for tri gear?  I am not in the big city, so online options will be first prize. 

cheers

Hi, I need some more advice on gear.  I only started out recently, have a pair of tekkies and a mountain bike.  I am really thinking of a 70.3 next year.  What should I save up for first?  Wetsuit, trisuit, road bike.  I think probably a skinny ass bike? 

Were do you guys do your shopping for tri gear?  I am not in the big city, so online options will be first prize. 

cheers

you can't do 70.3 on a MTB so get a road bike.

you can hire a wetsuit.

That's just the thing. I don't refrain from drinking too much of the red stuff post IM. I've fricken earned it dammit. :D Will pick things up again in September. Until then: red wine, surfing, red wine, mtbiking, red wine...

cheers

You will need a road bike, IM70.3 rules prohibit use of MTB (see attached pdf)

You will need a wetsuit, speak to Terry at Xterra http://xterrawetsuits.co.za/ after the Durban70.3 on the 19 June and see what demo/hire suits he is selling off, you should be able to pick something up below RRP.  Else you can hire.  Also watch classifieds and gumtree for tri wetsuits.

You do not need a trisuit, and can use a cycle top and cycle shorts (rather than bibs).  You can swim in the cycle shorts (under wetsuit), put on the cycle shirt and do the cycle and run in that kit.  If you do want a trisuit which makes life easy, fluidlines have on sale http://www.fluidlines.co.za/home/53-men-s-core-trisuit.html.  As you only doing next year, Sportsmans warehouse also have their yellow ticket sales a couple of times a year and there are always trisuits in the sale (if you are on discovery vitality and have a sportsmans card, you can also get 25% back on that price). Also look at Cape Multi for cheaper trisuits

http://www.capemulti.co.za/CATEGORIES/tabid/5071/CategoryID/42/Level/a/List/0/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

For 21km runs and the training you are doing to need to do to get to that distance I would invest in a proper pair or running shoes for your running style, rather than just tekkies.  Will make a world of difference and save on possible injury.  Go to a running shop and get them to assess your running style and discuss suitable shoes.

If you don't already have, get a race belt for holding race number

athletes guide 70 3 east london version 1 docx.pdf

Edited by shaper

You will need a road bike, IM70.3 rules prohibit use of MTB (see attached pdf)

You will need a wetsuit, speak to Terry at Xterra http://xterrawetsuits.co.za/ after the Durban70.3 on the 19 June and see what demo/hire suits he is selling off, you should be able to pick something up below RRP.  Else you can hire.  Also watch classifieds and gumtree for tri wetsuits.

You do not need a trisuit, and can use a cycle top and cycle shorts (rather than bibs).  You can swim in the cycle shorts (under wetsuit), put on the cycle shirt and do the cycle and run in that kit.  If you do want a trisuit which makes life easy, fluidlines have on sale http://www.fluidlines.co.za/home/53-men-s-core-trisuit.html.  As you only doing next year, Sportsmans warehouse also have their yellow ticket sales a couple of times a year and there are always trisuits in the sale (if you are on discovery vitality and have a sportsmans card, you can also get 25% back on that price). Also look at Cape Multi for cheaper trisuits

http://www.capemulti.co.za/CATEGORIES/tabid/5071/CategoryID/42/Level/a/List/0/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

For 21km runs and the training you are doing to need to do to get to that distance I would invest in a proper pair or running shoes for your running style, rather than just tekkies.  Will make a world of difference and save on possible injury.  Go to a running shop and get them to assess your running style and discuss suitable shoes.

If you don't already have, get a race belt for holding race number

thx for the advice and details shaper.  Will have a look after this weekends comrades to see if some running shoes come on special.  Also will take some time this winter to build up some base miles for running (never ran a 21km before) and work on some time on the bike and idt.  In the spring I will need to get going with swimming, as this is a big concern.

thx

thx for the advice and details shaper.  Will have a look after this weekends comrades to see if some running shoes come on special.  Also will take some time this winter to build up some base miles for running (never ran a 21km before) and work on some time on the bike and idt.  In the spring I will need to get going with swimming, as this is a big concern.

thx

Which 70.3 you thinking of doing?  Once spring/summer comes am sure you must be able to find a dam out your way to do some open water swimming?

Running shoe shop, if you are ever in Joburg http://www.thesweatshop.co.za/