1. Rule #42//
    A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

If it’s preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run, it is not called a bike race, it is called duathlon or a triathlon. Neither of which is a bike race. Also keep in mind that one should only swim in order to prevent drowning, and should only run if being chased. And even then, one should only run fast enough to prevent capture.

Edited by rock

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the bela bela looks nice.  I like the distances of 1.5 swim, 40km bike and 10km run.

I completed my first tri - sprint earlier this at Sun City, and the swim almost killed me.  I have not, and will not have another swim until the warmer weather sets in later again.  I will try and spend the winter months racking up some time on the IDT and gaining some km's on my asics!

the bela bela looks nice.  I like the distances of 1.5 swim, 40km bike and 10km run.

I completed my first tri - sprint earlier this at Sun City, and the swim almost killed me.  I have not, and will not have another swim until the warmer weather sets in later again.  I will try and spend the winter months racking up some time on the IDT and gaining some km's on my asics!

Bela Bela swim is twice around the water ski lake/ring... in fact is not deep, you can stand up and walk... quite a few do!!

Cycle is out up hill then back, then another loop.  The run is flat around the campsite.

Biggest thing with this race is the time of day, starts around 11am/12pm so you cycle and run in the heat of the day.. last year was 34degs!!!

Bela Bela swim is twice around the water ski lake/ring... in fact is not deep, you can stand up and walk... quite a few do!!

Cycle is out up hill then back, then another loop.  The run is flat around the campsite.

Biggest thing with this race is the time of day, starts around 11am/12pm so you cycle and run in the heat of the day.. last year was 34degs!!!

hi shaper thanks for the info.  I am still without wetsuit, so open dam water in August might be a problem, and I only have an outer pool available for training, so no swimming happening in the next few months!

I always wear socks and I change socks between bike and run for all events longer than 5150. That 30 seconds is worth it.

I aint going to win it so the time lost is of little consequence. The comfort prolly pulls the time back.

Great tip Shaper. Thanks

hi shaper thanks for the info.  I am still without wetsuit, so open dam water in August might be a problem, and I only have an outer pool available for training, so no swimming happening in the next few months!

Keep an eye out in classifieds and gumtree for after Durbs 70.3 in June... am sure there will be a few wetsuits up for sale 

Clip On Tri Bars 

Does it make a difference 

What do I need to know when buying one? 

my 2c

I don't like them and if you are using a normal road bike you are getting aero, but not the full benefit of a tri bike (open hips and all that). 

I dropped mine and just ride in the drops, I'm then also flat and aerodynamic.

Clip On Tri Bars 

I believe at some courses they will make a positive difference such as Durban IM or Sun city Ultra or any course that's flattish with smooth tar. Some courses I don't think they add as much value such as the 2015 IM course. Each to his own. I do not use them as I cant breathe properly in the tri bars anyway.

But, ultimately they have the potential of making a difference large enough to justify the outlay so see if you can get a second hand set to play around with, if happy go forth and buy top end stuff. If not happy sell em on again.

If your aim is to only do tri then just get a full on tri bike I reckon

Clip On Tri Bars 

You cannot use tri-bars on sprint events and there is talk of you not being able to use them on 5150 (Olympic distance) in the future, so will only be practical for Ultra/70.3 and Full.

They definitely help on the longer distance, both with aero, energy conservation and muscle fatigue.. If you want to use clip on for the longer distances, you might also want to read up on altering your bike geometry to suit, removing headset spacers/dropping bars, raising saddle and moving saddle forward.. there lots of info on google.

Is not difficult to adjust geometry for tri, then adjust back for road.

If you are aiming to focus on the longer tri's then hours in the saddle might be worth getting a full on tri bike.... depending on your finances of course

YOH no socks  :eek:

I wore socks at 70.3 EL and still blistered all over my feet :thumbdown:

I even changed socks between bike and run but this diddnt help either so I would def take the time in transition to put socks on just to save my feet!!!

I actually want to try those toe socks meant for running sometime, would probably take a bit longer to put on but they are supposed to be better at preventing blisters.

Keep an eye out in classifieds and gumtree for after Durbs 70.3 in June... am sure there will be a few wetsuits up for sale 

Yeah or get hold of Terry at Xterra, lots of rental suits in good condition for sale at great prices.

Always some kit lurking around after a big race has scared someone out of the sport :P

YOH no socks  :eek:

I wore socks at 70.3 EL and still blistered all over my feet :thumbdown:

I even changed socks between bike and run but this diddnt help either so I would def take the time in transition to put socks on just to save my feet!!!

Most blisters come from not tying shoes tight enough, they need to tight enough to hold your foot and not have it sliding around inside the shoe. Tighter the better

Also make sure they well worn in before a big race.

Edit: also try not to get water running into the shoes when at the water stations, lots squeeze sponges on their heads and bodies that run down legs into shoes... wet feet blister easier

Edited by shaper

Socks and Elastic laces for the win! The couple of seconds used to dry feet and put socks on is equal to time saved with elastic laces. Also elastic laces have the right pressure on feet. Used the same socks for cycle and run on IM with no problems.