So with my first Half Distance coming in June, i joined the gym to strengthen my swim. Does anyone have some good tried and tested drills they are willing to share?

Go to youtube and look up triathlon taren. He gives some very good advice about triathlons. I found his swimming videos very informative and he also draws on his own experience

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So with my first Half Distance coming in June, i joined the gym to strengthen my swim. Does anyone have some good tried and tested drills they are willing to share?

If you not going to get a coach or even join the swim squad at the gym take a look here http://www.swimsmooth.com/ and see some of their YouTube vids

Planning to do the Midlands Ultra in November.

Have not done a Triathlon since I did 5FM Triathlon about 20 years ago.

Have not done much swimming in ages but think the technique will hopefully still be there but the scary bit for me is the running. 21 km on its own feels far enough let alone after a 2 km swim and 90km cycle.

But there is plenty of time. I selected this one as I feel one should not need a wetsuit for Midlands especially that time of year.

What does your typical training for a full Iron Man look like? 

In a few weeks I will start race preparation training but as its my first time I do not know what that will look like. I started with my current coaching group in the middle of last year and my weeks tend to look a bit like this;

Mon - AM swim 1:00 - 1:30 

- PM Run 0:40 - 1:00

Tue - AM ride 0:50 - 1:45 

- PM Run );40 - 1:20

Wed - AM Swim 1:00 - 1:20

PM rest

Thur - AM Ride 0:40 - 1:30

PM Run 0:30 - 1:00

Fri    - AM Swim 0:40 - 1:00

PM Run 0:30 - 0:50

Sat   Ride 2:30 - 4:30

Sun Run 1:15 - 2:00

I still do intervals in nearly all my sessions except the long rides at weekends. Its hard but its working out well so far.

I see there's a multi sport event coming up next month, if I were to do it, I think I'd manage the half distance. It's just really the swimming and running part of it where I think I'd battle.

Mine is typically around 6-8 hours cycling a week. One long ride 4 to 6 hours and 2 shorter rides of 1 hour to 2 hours.

Run around 3-4 hours a week. Typically 2 short runs and a longer run on the weekend.

Swimming, being astrong swimmer I been lazy in the pool so around 2 hours a week ...typically 7 kays or so.

In total, 12 to 15 hours a week basically...some weeks more if I am doing a marathon or long cycle race or swim event. doing a 5 kay this weekend as an example.

Unfortunately I have had severe flu the beginning of January so as things stand for the whole of January I have cycled 110 kays, run 68 and swam around 7.

Pointless trying to play catch up, it is what it is.

Every 4th week, halve your training an chill a bit.

Better to get to Hobie Beach on the 2nd of April relaxed, undertrained an fresh than tired and over trained.

Good luck, Ironman is absolutely brilliant...the crowd are stupendously brilliant..just thinking about it bring tears to my eyes....the swim is gentle, the new cycle leg is a peach (compared to 2015) and the new run course is bliss compared to 2015. The crowd will pull you through.... in 2015 I was deep in the pain cave, I was broken and had blisters the size of my feet by 27km...some ou from the crowd left his mates and his braai and walked the entire length of the beach road with me about 5 kays (and then 5 kays back) and only left me to go through the varsity secion...that ou, I never got his name but my medal is his.

Then with 200 metres left in the dark some random dude came up to me and said how damn proud he was of me..never got his name either...I choked.

The red carpet, when that ou says you are an IRONMAN will bring tears to your eyes.... its an emo moment of note.... and only you realize the scrifices made to get there.... it all gets to you.

Good luck...

Then be wary of the post ironman blues,,,they real.

Edit: Just want to add, the human body is an amazing instrument and we are far more capable than we think. Just making the start is 50% , it truly is, and if you there with a mindset that you can make it then you 75% there. The remaining 25% is due to training and lack of mechanical failures. Very few (less than 10%) actually drop out of IM and there are a numb of reasons including mechanicals, accidents, guys who realize the are not going to make their goals and withdraw during the event (yes it happens) and of course those that are undertrained. ( undertrained are the vast minority I suspect)

Edited by IceCreamMan

Good luck, Ironman is absolutely brilliant...the crowd are stupendously brilliant..just thinking about it bring tears to my eyes....the swim is gentle, the new cycle leg is a peach (compared to 2015) and the new run course is bliss compared to 2015. The crowd will pull you through.... in 2015 I was deep in the pain cave, I was broken and had blisters the size of my feet by 27km...some ou from the crowd left his mates and his braai and walked the entire length of the beach road with me about 5 kays (and then 5 kays back) and only left me to go through the varsity secion...that ou, I never got his name but my medal is his.

Then with 200 metres left in the dark some random dude came up to me and said how damn proud he was of me..never got his name either...I choked.

Take that sports fans!!

Amazing :clap:

The red carpet, when that ou says you are an IRONMAN will bring tears to your eyes.... its an emo moment of note.... and only you realize the scrifices made to get there.... it all gets to you.

Good luck...

This section... man, it gave me motivation to train! People can be amazing!

Mine is typically around 6-8 hours cycling a week. One long ride 4 to 6 hours and 2 shorter rides of 1 hour to 2 hours.

Run around 3-4 hours a week. Typically 2 short runs and a longer run on the weekend.

Swimming, being astrong swimmer I been lazy in the pool so around 2 hours a week ...typically 7 kays or so.

In total, 12 to 15 hours a week basically...some weeks more if I am doing a marathon or long cycle race or swim event. doing a 5 kay this weekend as an example.

Unfortunately I have had severe flu the beginning of January so as things stand for the whole of January I have cycled 110 kays, run 68 and swam around 7.

Pointless trying to play catch up, it is what it is.

Every 4th week, halve your training an chill a bit.

Better to get to Hobie Beach on the 2nd of April relaxed, undertrained an fresh than tired and over trained.

Good luck...

Edit: Just want to add, the human body is an amazing instrument and we are far more capable than we think. Just making the start is 50% , it truly is, and if you there with a mindset that you can make it then you 75% there. The remaining 25% is due to training and lack of mechanical failures. Very few (less than 10%) actually drop out of IM and there are a numb of reasons including mechanicals, accidents, guys who realize the are not going to make their goals and withdraw during the event (yes it happens) and of course those that are undertrained. ( undertrained are the vast minority I suspect)

Thank you for that. This is really motivating. I'm planning to pull off a full Iron Man before I turn 30. This won't be the year, but next year it is going to happen. I suppose I should just add a long ride and swimming to my routine. And some sleep. 

Rad, thanks. Keep your spirits high. 

My current training:

Monday (am) resting ; (pm) 1-1:30hr swim

Tuesday (am) 1hr recovery run : (pm) 30mins strength (weights/core) then 1hr recovery spin

Wed (am) 45mins run (speed work or workout) : (pm) 1-1:30hr swim

Thurs (am) 1hr spin (workout) followed by 15min brick run : (pm) 1-1:30hr swim

Friday (am) 30min run (speed work) : (pm) 1hr easy Z1 spin

Sat (am) 1hr spin (workout) followed by 2-3hr easy run

Sun (am) 4hr+ cycle followed by 15min brick run

As said every 4th week drop the hours down to 50-70% 

Major factor... get as much sleep as you can!!

Follow this up with good dietary during the day and correct nutrition for you when training and post training.

Else enjoy the journey, the physical is the easy part, the mind is the hard part :)

should definitely be enough time if you start training soon

Did my first swim today. 800m in around 30 minutes, will have to do some work to get to 1:40 /100m. Will have to work hard on technique me thinks.