Hi Shaper, thanks a mill for the article, will give it a read for sure.  currently cycling is not to much of a concern, should be able to complete comfortably.  running is picking up slowly, need to do more brick sessions.  will focus on strength and need to do more swimming for sure.  cheers

Try to run at least 3 times a week with 1 long run over the weekend, even if that run is very slow shuffle... getting your body use to running for 2hrs or more will build endurance and strength (every 4th long run shorten it to 1:30hrs)... during the week you can keep you runs to 50mins to 1hr. Make one of the short runs a hard workout where you push yourself such as interval training (i.e 10min warm up, 30min intervals, 10 min easy, 10 min cool down).  Brick sessions only need to be 15mins as is just training your body to adapt to go from cycling to running and getting the blood circulating to the right muscles. Anything longer and you are tiring your legs.  It is easy to add a brick run to a 1hr spin session (but do not treat it as one of your run sessions)

My current running is (in bold my 3 running days):

Saturday Long run 2hrs+

Sunday - 15m brick run after long ride 

Tuesday recovery run - Easy pace 1hr

Wednesday - Workout run (speed work etc) 50mins

Thursday - 15min brick run after 1hr spin workout

Edit: with reference to your other question.....Cut off time for the 1.9km swim is 1hr10mins

Edited by shaper

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what is a okish time for completing the 1.9km swim?  I need to train to at least be able to swim for that 40 or 50 minutes...

I reckon 40 minutes is okish...anywhere between 40-45 minutes is okish I reckon. But each to his own.

Learn to, and do tumbleturns all the time when training, when you turn head above you tend to sneak an extra breath in and when it comes to open water every 10 strokes you are expecting/needing that extra breath. 

Learn to, and do tumbleturns all the time when training, when you turn head above you tend to sneak an extra breath in and when it comes to open water every 10 strokes you are expecting/needing that extra breath. 

true. I try and turn with my head in the water and I also try not to push hard off the wall. I rather turn and start to swim straight away.

Most learn to bilateral breath for open water swimming, it also helps to try and keep you in a straight line with bilateral breathing you breath every 3rd stroke, perhaps every 6th... if you can manage to hold you breath for every 10th stroke when racing you are going into oxygen deprivation whilst it is ok for aerobic development during training is not good during racing or open water swimming as it leads to fatigue.

Further you often sneak an extra breath just before the tumble turn and use that air to exhale as you turn... so to say you are expecting/needing that extra breath.... I do not agree with!!

Most learn to bilateral breath for open water swimming, it also helps to try and keep you in a straight line with bilateral breathing you breath every 3rd stroke, perhaps every 6th... if you can manage to hold you breath for every 10th stroke when racing you are going into oxygen deprivation whilst it is ok for aerobic development during training is not good during racing or open water swimming as it leads to fatigue.

Further you often sneak an extra breath just before the tumble turn and use that air to exhale as you turn... so to say you are expecting/needing that extra breath.... I do not agree with!!

I'm with Dave303 here

Especially at the beginning of a swim I may partially or completely miss a breath every + - 10 strokes.

The tumble turn puts me more out of breath than a usual turn would even if I sneak a breath just before. As well as the aerobic development it simulates what its like to take a bit of chop or a foot to the face and swim on whilst regaining a normal breathing pattern.

Also by doing tumble turns mean you do a little ab crunch 80 - 160 times per swim. Good for people like me who neglect their core work. :whistling:

I'm with Dave303 here

Especially at the beginning of a swim I may partially or completely miss a breath every + - 10 strokes.

The tumble turn puts me more out of breath than a usual turn would even if I sneak a breath just before. As well as the aerobic development it simulates what its like to take a bit of chop or a foot to the face and swim on whilst regaining a normal breathing pattern.

Also by doing tumble turns mean you do a little ab crunch 80 - 160 times per swim. Good for people like me who neglect their core work. :whistling:

10 strokes???? i am dying for air after 4!

Abrahamsrust one? Did the half last year in preparation for IM. I liked the event. Think its worth a try. Will be going again in Feb.

Sent from my SM-J105F using Tapatalk

Abrahamsrust one? Did the half last year in preparation for IM. I liked the event. Think its worth a try. Will be going again in Feb.

Thank you for your reply, I've been told that the water is of bad quality, did you have any stomach issues after the event? ...either way I've booked and keen to do the event. Edited by MarkW

We were 6 athletes from Ermelo. None of us had any problems. All had positive feedback.

We were 6 athletes from Ermelo. None of us had any problems. All had positive feedback.

Thank you.... are you doing the event this year?