Review: Specialized S-Works Turbo Levo FSR 6Fattie

Iwan Kemp

The reason you add carbon rims to a bike is to increase the stiffness of the wheels. The Turbo Levo, like other bikes, can benefit from this. Is that what you were asking?

Hi Nick

I get all of that, stiffness, etc, etc.  I also ride carbon wheels :-)

I really questioned the reasoning of putting such an item on an e-bike. 

Methinks is good money wasted and I'm a frugal type of guy, well most of the time!!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a) A specific model motorbike recover the costs over several years where with bicycles we have the poor manufactures change the bikes very year. 

Disagree: The bulk of the components on bicycles are outsourced and produced in greater quantities than those on motorbikes. I don't think Shimano and Sram are struggling to amortize development cost. The frame is typically the  only important/costly bit that is unique to the specific bicycle OEM and thanks to Chinarello Spazello bikes we now know more or less how much they really cost to make- and often they carry over multiple years with only paint and build-kit changes.

Honest reply and question:

You are comparing components here and not the complete bike as Joe Public sees it. I think on motorbikes it is even worse as there is no clear tier system for individual drivetrain and control components. Take the new Africa Twin. The Base model retails for R160k and uses the same chain and sprockets as the top of the range model. Same rims, same handlebar, same tires, etc. In cycling there is a clear tier system so instead of selling the total amount of the same chains, they sell smaller percentages of each model. That's for SRAM or Shimano as you will know.  

Also, most components on a bike are used for years and years and years and quite often carried over unchanged to the newer model.

There is still a bit in me that wonders about the business model behind it, but again I think it's a bit unfair comparing the top of the range bicycle's price to that of a one model bike. Kinda like for most motorbike models the point is to get a well-rounded bike to the market and that's it. If you had a KTM 250 SX halo model it would probably cost somewhere between R200k and R250k - maybe even more. So not REALLY comparing apples and apples or even apples and oranges. 

What do you reckon? Scrap that, lets take that debate to another thread and stay on topic here.

Not my kind of bike, at least not now. Took it for a spin yesterday when our LBS just received them and asked me if I want to try it and man its a "fun" toy to have with loads of power.

Just another toy for the rich to show off with :whistling:

Over here they are very reasonable to own as government gives 40% tax back and discounts on Ebikes.The communes around the city all give good monthly incentives for bike commuters.

we also get tax breaks in good old SA..... the tax breaks all our backs, 24/7.

Just another toy for the rich to show off with :whistling:

Over here they are very reasonable to own as government gives 40% tax back and discounts on Ebikes.The communes around the city all give good monthly incentives for bike commuters.

I could see myself sessioning Renee's Rumble and Bat Outta Hell all day on one these.

They need to add regenerative braking to extend battery life. This would need some sort of sensor on the brake levers or a pressure transmitter on the brake lines to trigger it by keepi ng the drivetrain clutches locked in when the brakes are activated.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I could see myself sessioning Renee's Rumble and Bat Outta Hell all day on one these.

They need to add regenerative braking to extend battery life. This would need some sort of sensor on the brake levers or a pressure transmitter on the brake lines to trigger it by keepi ng the drivetrain clutches locked in when the brakes are activated.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Shimano's STEPS platform does regenerative braking. I'm not sure on the technical workings though but it does seem like a logical progression.

I fear for a near future where singletracks are choked by unskilled, slow, fat rich people on E-bikes. If I see one on a trail don't expect any pleasant comments. 

E bikes are going to ruin it for everyone that has worked hard for their skill and fitness levels. And for what, so that the machine can make more money for already well lined pockets.

Sorry Iwan, I like your articles, but I don't like your stance on E bikes.

That must be one of the nicest looking motorbikes I've ever seen.  I wonder if Specialized also make mountain bikes.

(Spare me the "It's not a motorbike, it's a pedal-assist bike" BS.  It has a motor. It's a bike.)

Something to think about though:  When we go riding, how often do we go riding alone?  Most of the time we ride with friends, because this is after all a social endeavour.  So if you're the one t*sser that rocks up with your luigat fiets so that you can session Jonkers 10 times, what are your mates going to do, assuming they weren't all dumb enough to spend money on this?  They're going to carry on as normal and wait for you at the coffee shop I guess.

So this bike should really come with a disclaimer - please be aware that riding this bike will result in mostly solo rides, unless you can find an e-bike support group somewhere.

Right, now that I've made my position clear let me add this:  The Levo is without a doubt the best looking, and from what I've heard, best executed, iterations of the e-bike genre. 

I reckon this will be great for event photographers that struggle to get to the sharp end of the race to get the shots - especially the EWS guys (although I reckon Sven Martin will glass you if you give him this to ride).

Great tech and whatnot, the potential trickle down is fantastic for those with mobility challenges or commuting.
For recreation though, it's very much contrary to the low impact use and carbon footprint idea of using a bicycle. Feeds into a very superficial culture ...  

Manufacturers need to really consider their motives with this kind of thing. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGEv5ICohuh/

Great product, can see them taking off! Amazing! 

Lots of people with crystal balls on the hub, able to see what will happen with e-bikes on trails in the future.

Tell us more  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Edited by Pure Savage