Review: Specialized S-Works Turbo Levo FSR 6Fattie

Iwan Kemp

Thanks for an HONEST review of: (i) a Spez; and (ii) an e-bike...lots of e-bike haters out there on the interwebs, so an objective and fair appraisal of this bike is overdue and much appreciated.

Would I buy one?  

Now?  Nope, not a chance.    

When I'm 55?  Maybe.

When I'm 65?  Probably.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for an HONEST review of: (i) a Spez; and (ii) an e-bike...lots of e-bike haters out there on the interwebs, so an objective and fair appraisal of this bike is overdue and much appreciated.

Would I buy one?  

Now?  Nope, not a chance.    

When I'm 55?  Maybe.

When I'm 65?  Probably.

I reckon if you keep riding honest bikes chances are you won't need to buy one at 65.  Plenty of pinners around  qualifying for pensioner discounts.

Just on the side - what is the view of the Race Organisers on the use of e-bikes? I suppose when competing for the podium it's a No. But what of the other start groups?

Just on the side - what is the view of the Race Organisers on the use of e-bikes? I suppose when competing for the podium it's a No. But what of the other start groups?

It's a no.

Enduro event DQ'd a rider for using an e-bike on practice runs. 

Thoughts from elsewhere, 

"The E-Bike thing, absolutely has a place in the world. 
Great for low impact commuting and an important tool in changing heavily industrialised transport planning. 
They also create accesibility to the bicycle in a number of ways for those with mobility issues, whether it's through illness or physical challenges. It allows them to discover the joy of cycling.
(Edit) E-bikes also have incredible potential as a tool in law/conservation management, EMS and event production.

But as far as a recreational tool for 'able' bodied riders who are otherwise healthy and mobile. No. 
It's counter intuitive and (arguably) too big an enviromental impact, from manufacturing to use. On some level it feeds into a superficial culture which defeats the entire object of the simple pleasure of pedaling a bicycle.

My personal objective(ish) opinion, ultimately though it's down to the individuals choice, not mine. I know, opinions are like assholes, we all have them."

Edited by danger dassie

It's a no.

Enduro event DQ'd a rider for using an e-bike on practice runs.

There is a rider in the Cape who has done a number of stage races on his e-bike. He pre-warns the organisers and then makes sure to act reasonably on the climbs so as to not annoy other riders.

But he's an anomaly for now, not sure how well this approach will work if the numbers grow.

There is a rider in the Cape who has done a number of stage races on his e-bike. He pre-warns the organisers and then makes sure to acts reasonably on the climbs so as to not annoy other riders.

But he's an anomaly for now, not sure how well this approach will work if the numbers grow.

Easy - separate class.

I fear for a near future where singletracks are choked by unskilled, slow, fat rich people on E-bikes. If I see one on a trail don't expect any pleasant comments. 

E bikes are going to ruin it for everyone that has worked hard for their skill and fitness levels. And for what, so that the machine can make more money for already well lined pockets.

Sorry Iwan, I like your articles, but I don't like your stance on E bikes.

To be fair, that's what any mass participation thing with ANY singletrack looks like without e bikes. So there wouldn't be much change.

As for the technical singletracks? Fat unfit non skilled riders still won't do those, as they don't want to. Even the fit non skilled riders don't want to do them. I doubt e-bikes will change that.

I can honestly see the appeal for these sorts of bikes. Capable, well balanced machines that just ehlp you get to the top that much more refreshed.

For days that you want to concentrate on shuttling (without the need for a vehicle) and therefore get to the top with minimal exertion, and work on your descending skills, I reckon it's an absolutely BRILLIANT bike.

For whole day rides XC style / with mates / up AND down, as well as training? Normal bike please. I want to get fitter so that I can descend better, plus it's lekker exercise.

Those with mobility issues? Bloody awesome.

Will they change the face of MTB? I doubt it. You still have to pedal, and on the technical bits it's still mostly down to rider skill - which an e-mtb won't change. You also won't see them "tearing up the trails" like motos, as the speed limit is 25kph and if the kick-in is moderated properly there won't be as much loss of traction. We all lose traction on the climbs anyway, and this is a mid-fat bike as well...More traction. Less rippage.

But would I buy one? If I had the spare cash and nothing else to spend it on... Sure. But I'd use it for shuttling Jonkers multiple times (that CLIMB!!!) and so on, so that I could concentrate on my skills development without worry of being blown from the ride up.

Would it be my primary ride? Probably not.

but I want a bakkie first.

If I was 100% healthy with no medical issues that could prevent me from enjoying mountain biking, I would not consider this for a second.

These bikes could give people with health or medical issues the opportunity to enjoy mountain biking.

I met one such guy last year doing a mtb event on an e-bike, which he otherwise would not have been able to do, because of a health issue. He just wanted to ride and enjoy like the rest us.

I'm all for that.

I like it. Its has its place in the world.

It must be a great way to put a smile on your face.

It could also be used as a training aid. Dial down the amount it assists over time as you get stronger.

Will it ever replace the true excercise of cycling...no.

Is it a great way to spend an entire day out in a forest exploring...yes.

Nice review Iwan.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

That must be one of the nicest looking motorbikes I've ever seen.  I wonder if Specialized also make mountain bikes.

(Spare me the "It's not a motorbike, it's a pedal-assist bike" BS.  It has a motor. It's a bike.)

Something to think about though:  When we go riding, how often do we go riding alone?  Most of the time we ride with friends, because this is after all a social endeavour.  So if you're the one t*sser that rocks up with your luigat fiets so that you can session Jonkers 10 times, what are your mates going to do, assuming they weren't all dumb enough to spend money on this?  They're going to carry on as normal and wait for you at the coffee shop I guess.

So this bike should really come with a disclaimer - please be aware that riding this bike will result in mostly solo rides, unless you can find an e-bike support group somewhere.

shoulkd be banned on MTb trails...it belongs with tthe mx bikes

Use the motor to get to work without sweating. Pedal the heavy bike home for the workout. Or use the motor on a weekend to reach roads you wouldn't normally be able to and then enjoy your cycle there. Motor back home. I would love one but can't justify the expense.

Wonder why they didn't go for a 500w motor though. Need to win the lotto!

Wonder why they didn't go for a 500w motor though. Need to win the lotto!

Read that after extensive testing they felt the 250w motor suited the characteristics they were after better.