[Event] Carnival City Macsteel National Classic

Frosty

Thats a "make it my my problem to get a morning, rushed to collect pack" which should have been avaialbe already.

G

No race I'm aware of MTB or road are race packs available a week prior, some events even close for entries the week of the race e.g Land Rover Centurion MTB race on 3rd Dec and entries close on 1st of Dec so the packs cannot be available a week prior. . 

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well thats it, I've been told.

So ye I've probably been lucky in the races I've done the race packs was available for collection the Frid/Sat/Sun weekend before the race.

Never mind that we all have busy work/family life and it might be difficult to get away during a work week to collect packs. Some of us work as contractors, if not on site we don't get paid, so picking up a pack have costs involved, we can't bill.

Make it available to all early registrations and make it available only at the even for pickup for late registrations.

G

So ye I've probably been lucky in the races I've done the race packs was available for collection the Frid/Sat/Sun weekend before the race.

Never mind that we all have busy work/family life and it might be difficult to get away during a work week to collect packs. Some of us work as contractors, if not on site we don't get paid, so picking up a pack have costs involved, we can't bill.

Make it available to all early registrations and make it available only at the even for pickup for late registrations.

G

Which races were these where you could collect the weekend before? I would like to support them.

G

Did you do the summer/winter fast one  MTB races in your neck of the woods ? Race packs were only available for collection  Fri Sat and day of race Sun. 

Recent Believe Choc Cow race at Northern Farm.

Packs was available from the Friday week before.

lets just put this to rest... 

Which races were these where you could collect the weekend before? I would like to support them.

Recent Believe Choc Cow race at Northern Farm.

Packs was available from the Friday week before.

lets just put this to rest...

G

I don't think that's fair. You made some pretty hard statements. You should back them up.

That's 1 race. You said EVERY race.

I don't think that's fair. You made some pretty hard statements. You should back them up.

Agree, I have been racing for the last 2 years and have never received the race pack a weekend before in both MTB and road.

So I haven't done a world count of races...

Another race... Winter fast one.

I'm just stating it's difficult to have to run around the Thursday/Friday before an event to get the packs. Take the comment and use it, or loose it.

G

Every race I've ever done the race packs was at the latest available the weekend before the race.

guessing I"m the only one that thinks making it only available 2-4 days before (week of) the race is leading it late.

G

Please give the names of these races?

I'm just stating it's difficult to have to run around the Thursday/Friday before an event to get the packs. Take the comment and use it, or loose it.

G

So get up 15 minutes earlier and collect your race pack on the morning of the race... else do like the rest of us do and make a plan to collect on another day.

Me and my mates take in in turns, so I only have to collect race numbers for all of my mates and myself once every 3 to 4 races as we take it in turns.

You come here ranting and by the sounds of it think you should get special treatment, yet there are thousands collecting who make a plan!  

Obviously you do not do many races.

Edit:  Perhaps too you also want to consider the logistics needed by race organisers to ensure that they keep entries open till the latest possible opportunity to maximise race numbers, keep costs down, logistics of printing race numbers and arranging packs let alone seeding everyone?

Edited by shaper

G

Serious? Do you like have a job or something? You are literally the first person to complain about this. The rest of us don't work so we can just go anytime, Guess we just lucky.

Anyway this is an awesme(see what I did there?) race, You will enjoy it. 

I am just messing with you, I will be in VA group so come say hi. Always good to meet fellow hubbers.

Just my 2c worth on the number collection debate:

I have only done a few races but the last few days before the race seems to be the norm for number collection.

Personally it is quite difficult picking up the numbers, since I don't have any training partners or friends cycling with me, but I just have to make a plan.  Very few good things in life come without sacrifices.

Like anything in life it is a give and take and you can never satisfy everybody.  To have the packs ready a week early the following consequences (amongst others) are possible:

1. Earlier closing date with possible less entries:  Will you be satisfied with paying more, as a smaller field increases the overhead costs per rider.

2. Seeding will be done earlier.  This is a regular "complaint" I see.  The latest races not included in the seeding. 

3. Organising events is hard work and the bigger the event, the bigger the work and the bigger the chance of late changes or modifications.  This can impact on registration packs. 

I have great respect for the organisers of these events.  I have been involved in organizing a few road race events many years ago, and very few people understand and/or know how much work it is.

Just one question from me:  Can I pick up my registration pack on Sunday morning (I don't do the MTB race) ?  If not, I will have to make a plan to get to one of the other venues.

Okay, back to actual race. Intriguing to see what the MTB section within the Carnival grounds will be like and getting over the road to the main section is going to be "interesting"

Okay, back to actual race. Intriguing to see what the MTB section within the Carnival grounds will be like and getting over the road to the main section is going to be "interesting"

The track inside is quite good fun and be ridden at a good pace.

Going out is not the problem, as most of the start groups will be together. It's cyclists coming back in one's and two's to cross the road that is OUR biggest challenge.

Just my 2c worth on the number collection debate:

I have only done a few races but the last few days before the race seems to be the norm for number collection.

Personally it is quite difficult picking up the numbers, since I don't have any training partners or friends cycling with me, but I just have to make a plan. Very few good things in life come without sacrifices.

Like anything in life it is a give and take and you can never satisfy everybody. To have the packs ready a week early the following consequences (amongst others) are possible:

1. Earlier closing date with possible less entries: Will you be satisfied with paying more, as a smaller field increases the overhead costs per rider.

2. Seeding will be done earlier. This is a regular "complaint" I see. The latest races not included in the seeding.

3. Organising events is hard work and the bigger the event, the bigger the work and the bigger the chance of late changes or modifications. This can impact on registration packs.

I have great respect for the organisers of these events. I have been involved in organizing a few road race events many years ago, and very few people understand and/or know how much work it is.

Just one question from me: Can I pick up my registration pack on Sunday morning (I don't do the MTB race) ? If not, I will have to make a plan to get to one of the other venues.

Yes, to your last question.

You come here ranting and by the sounds of it think you should get special treatment, yet there are thousands collecting who make a plan!  

I hear you.  Let's not go down this road.

Point is.  If organisers were willing to take on (Challenge) the big "money system" of collecting paper numbers in bike shops then we could have a MUCH easier solution and NO ONE has the "make a plan" for this $h$%&.

Picking up a piece of paper is and will always be wasting my time.

There was a solution many years ago.  Cyclelab and their event entry system took it away.  Visit the shop and get feet through the door.

Picking up before the race is stupid.  You have to ask 50 people where the collection is and then stand in a que 200 long.  And most of the time licensed riders are not allowed to do the morning of the race pickup. (Don't know if it changed)

I make a point of NEVER buying anything from ANY bike shop willing to facilitate this process. 

But like I said. 

This is an awesome race.

Let us not discuss this here