Any Hiking Enthusiasts (Not Hitchhikers ;) )

ZakAttak

I'm not going to repeat some good tips already mentioned, but will add my 2c worth from items missing in the posts (which I haven't read word-for-word).

Shoes

There are many river crossings, and chance for wet conditions. If you can, get the a good quality shoe/boot that allows a waterproof treatment, i.e. don't get the fabric type shoes/boots.

Your feet have to carry you, and the last thing you want are blisters - especially on the first couple days - caused by a combination of wet feet and chaffing/rubbing inside the shoe. 

Get a second pair of water-specific shoes that you can use to cross the river, and for walking around during the overnight stops - no socks required. This gives you feet a chance to breathe at night ,and you don't have to get your primary hiking shoes/boots wet. The waterproof option helps in the rain, and when crossing very low rivers/streams.

During the deep river crossings, put your hiking shoes/boots in a black plastic bag (the type with a draw-string at the opening. You can then tie this to your backpack or body (while the bag should float if you close it correctly - difficult to explain in writing, I'll try find the video).

Socks

Woolen socks only - ask the older generation that cycled in woolen clothing, as the youngsters these day don't understand. A single thick pair is better than two pairs of cheap socks.

Like your jocks (underwear if you're a chick) - 1 per day. You can wash them, but remember that bacteria in socks is similar to cycle shorts (chamois). Remember the tip about your feet having to carry you to the finish.

Waterproofing

Place your clothing in ziplock bags, jocks and socks for each day and possibly a warm item, towel and anything else. You can survive for 4-5 days with a single shirt and shorts. It helps keep them dry, and also you keep the used, smelly items sealed away after use.

You phone, matches, lighter and anything else that won't work when wet - ziplock bag.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, a few more tips.

Heavier stuff near the top.

Lighter stuff near the bottom (sleeping bag - also placed in a black bag inside your backpack).

And if you want convenience for supper - get the freeze-dried packets from Cape Union Mart. Think it's called Back Country Cuisine. Some delicious meals that only need boiling water added + 10 mins of simmer time in the packet.

Edit: here's the freeze-dried meals

http://www.getaway.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Back-Country-hiking-meals.jpg

Edited by geraldm24

Last thing - running water at sea level passes through many rural areas upstream.

Get water purification tabs, for just in case. Dribbly-bum is also something to avoid.

Ok, now you guys are all saying buy good quality, where from though? There are plenty brands out there too....

What do you suggest? What are your personal preferences?

What i have preferred, over the years:

A boot that covers the ankle, stiff sole - this is to prevent any lateral movement when crossing boulders, or holes in the ground.

Full Leather outer, with a tongue that is stitched from toe to the top of the boot. When treated with bee-wax, or similar waterproofing material, you can cross water up to ankle level without getting wet inside.

But it requires time to wear them in, and they are heavier too. After your water bottle, your shoes are probably the most important item, as I mentioned in my first reply.

Last, and most important is fit.

I last bought a pair of boots in 1998, and still have them today. and I've done plenty hikes between 1998 - 2006.

in terms of brands - Merrell is good, K-Way (house brand for Cape Union Mart) is okay. Hi-Tec - stay away from the fabric type.

Edited by geraldm24

Last thing - running water at sea level passes through many rural areas upstream.

Get water purification tabs, for just in case. Dribbly-bum is also something to avoid.

I use a MSR water purification pump. Have used it more that ten years. Takes about 2 minutes to pump a liter of water. Used it in India, China, Tibet, Tanzania, Lesotho and Fish River. Drank water that even locals said would kill me and never had the slightest issue. Removes all bad tastes an any bugs. Amazing device. The ceramic filter is a consumable replaceable item.

I use a MSR water purification pump. Have used it more that ten years. Takes about 2 minutes to pump a liter of water. Used it in India, China, Tibet, Tanzania, Lesotho and Fish River. Drank water that even locals said would kill me and never had the slightest issue. Removes all bad tastes an any bugs. Amazing device. The ceramic filter is a consumable replaceable item.

I assume you're referring to MSR, as in Mountain Safety Research - hiking brand?

They make some really good stuff (fuel bottles, stoves, accessories)

Socks

Woolen socks only - ask the older generation that cycled in woolen clothing, as the youngsters these day don't understand. A single thick pair is better than two pairs of cheap socks.

Like your jocks (underwear if you're a chick) - 1 per day. You can wash them, but remember that bacteria in socks is similar to cycle shorts (chamois). Remember the tip about your feet having to carry you to the finish.

yebo..woolen socks...falke make nice pairs

or just leave the jocks at home..and hang freeeee

I assume you're referring to MSR, as in Mountain Safety Research - hiking brand?

Exactly.

They make VERY good stuff. Best known for their stoves but also make excellent clothing and tents. Difficult to get hold of in SA though...

yebo..woolen socks...falke make nice pairs

or just leave the jocks at home..and hang freeeee

Falke and Bridgedale get my vote when looking at socks.

What i have preferred, over the years:

A boot that covers the ankle, stiff sole - this is to prevent any lateral movement when crossing boulders, or holes in the ground.

Full Leather outer, with a tongue that is stitched from toe to the top of the boot. When treated with bee-wax, or similar waterproofing material, you can cross water up to ankle level without getting wet inside.

But it requires time to wear them in, and they are heavier too. After your water bottle, your shoes are probably the most important item, as I mentioned in my first reply.

Last, and most important is fit.

I last bought a pair of boots in 1998, and still have them today. and I've done plenty hikes between 1998 - 2006.

in terms of brands - Merrell is good, K-Way (house brand for Cape Union Mart) is okay. Hi-Tec - stay away from the fabric type.

I have a pair of Full Leather Hi-Tec boots I bought in 2005, did lots of hiking(including Kili and Aconcagua approach) with them and still going strong. Also have a good pair of Merrell's going now for 7 years (wear them almost every day).

Salomon also good.

Oh, a few more tips.

Heavier stuff near the top.

Lighter stuff near the bottom (sleeping bag - also placed in a black bag inside your backpack).

And if you want convenience for supper - get the freeze-dried packets from Cape Union Mart. Think it's called Back Country Cuisine. Some delicious meals that only need boiling water added + 10 mins of simmer time in the packet.

Edit: here's the freeze-dried meals

http://www.getaway.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Back-Country-hiking-meals.jpg

I used some of these last year on a paddling expedition and was seriously surprised at how good some of it tasted. Really pleasantly surprised! Yes, a bit expensive, but not a rip off, if you ask me. Not for the lightness and the convenience.

Edited by DJR

I used some of these last year on a paddling expedition and was seriously surprised at how good some of it tasted. Really pleasantly surprised! Yes, a bit expensive, but not a rip off, if you ask me. Not for the lightness and the convenience.

this one's the worst... Worst R120 I spent and still in the cupboard from last year's Fish river hike.

R120 is a lot, but gave me time to do other things while the others we're still stirring their mince mate.

484785dd3cfaf4a23365a9c4623c3544.jpg

Back Country food is good and super easy to prepare. Not cheap though. There has been some supply issues of late but it seems to be coming right.

MSR are in the process of organising a new agent locally. I was told the last one was really bad. At the moment not easy to get MSR goods but it is expected to improve in the next month or two.