Any Hiking Enthusiasts (Not Hitchhikers ;) )

ZakAttak

Any Hiking Enthusiasts out there?

Myself and a couple of buddies (all non-hikers) are planning to do the Otter Trail in November, but getting many different opinions and advice from previous hikers that did it...

What would you recommend (To those who have done it) to actually take with?:

I have done 5 and it is a fantastic trail

• Size Back Pack 65L should be fine.Carry water and dont rely on rivers for drinking water especially on the second half of the trail.Always fill up when you hit drinking water
  • Foodstuffs? Oatso easy for brekkies.Dried fruit,tuna and provita kind of stuff for lunch.Freeze dried for dinner.Braai first and second night.There is fireplace at the huts
  • Clothes? Cozzie if you dont want to swim kaalgat.Kwik dri shirt and shorts x 2.Cap,etc.Socks Boots and slops
  • How to cross the river (a section of the trail suggests that you need to get through the river to continue with the trail).There are two rivers to cross at low tide or as near as dammit.Get tide table and plan your hike.Appoint the most experienced as captain and decision maker.Get a survival bag.Put your pack inside and tie up the opening.Float pack across if the sea or river is pumping.The bloukrans is a challenge in high water.There is an escape route at the river if there are problems but I have crossed it in stormy weather and it was fine.Read up on the hike
  • Or just any advice regarding this beautiful scenic piece of Heaven in our beutiful country.Go here for just about the best info you will get on any hike in the country as well as tips on what to pack etc.http://www.footprint.co.za/otter.htm  feel free to as me as many questions as you want.I have pretty much done them all in all kinds of weather

I used to do day hikes before in and around Cape Town area, but no overnight hikes... So I'm new to this....

Looking forward to this discussion...

Oh, and where's the best place to buy the things that we would/might need? I've been to various hiking shops (Outdoor Warehouse/Cape Union Mart, etc.), shoo, didn't expect stuff to be that expensive....

Orca Industries in Bowwood Road Claremont

Edited by Kranswurm

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some years ago we also did the Tsitsikamma, it rained continuously for the whole hike. Two things that I remembered that was very usefull. My hiking stick to get extra grip when it was slippery and I packed most of the stuff that had to stay dry in ziplock bags. 

Edited by Carpet

Ok, now you guys are all saying buy good quality, where from though? There are plenty brands out there too....

What do you suggest? What are your personal preferences?

Myself and a couple of buddies (all non-hikers) are planning to do the Otter Trail in November, but getting many different opinions and advice from previous hikers that did it...

I have done 5 and it is a fantastic trail

• Size Back Pack 65L should be fine.Carry water and dont rely on rivers for drinking water especially on the second half of the trail.Always fill up when you hit drinking water
  • Foodstuffs? Oatso easy for brekkies.Dried fruit,tuna and provita kind of stuff for lunch.Freeze dried for dinner.Braai first and second night.There is fireplace at the huts
  • Clothes? Cozzie if you dont want to swim kaalgat.Kwik dri shirt and shorts x 2.Cap,etc.Socks Boots and slops
  • How to cross the river (a section of the trail suggests that you need to get through the river to continue with the trail).There are two rivers to cross at low tide or as near as dammit.Get tide table and plan your hike.Appoint the most experienced as captain and decision maker.Get a survival bag.Put your pack inside and tie up the opening.Float pack across if the sea or river is pumping.The bloukrans is a challenge in high water.There is an escape route at the river if there are problems but I have crossed it in stormy weather and it was fine.Read up on the hike
  • Or just any advice regarding this beautiful scenic piece of Heaven in our beutiful country.Go here for just about the best info you will get on any hike in the country as well as tips on what to pack etc.http://www.footprint.co.za/otter.htm  feel free to as me as many questions as you want.I have pretty much done them all in all kinds of weather

I used to do day hikes before in and around Cape Town area, but no overnight hikes... So I'm new to this....

Oh, and where's the best place to buy the things that we would/might need? I've been to various hiking shops (Outdoor Warehouse/Cape Union Mart, etc.), shoo, didn't expect stuff to be that expensive....

Orca Industries in Bowwood Road Claremont

Thanks for this... Much appreciated...

Ok, now you guys are all saying buy good quality, where from though? There are plenty brands out there too....

I am very impressed with Osprey packs. New brand to me. I ended up buying one.

I normally book out the whole trail IE 12 spots and take family and friends.

Invite me on a freebee and I will do the menu,do the shopping,cook the food and look after you  :thumbup:

• Size Back Pack
  • Foodstuffs?
  • Clothes?
  • How to cross the river (a section of the trail suggests that you need to get through the river to continue with the trail)
  • Or just any advice regarding this beautiful scenic piece of Heaven in our beutiful country

Hi

i did both the otter and tsitsikamma a few years ago.

used the slack pack option for Tsitsikamma. drop off each day. we were a big group. 15 persons i think. we ate like KINGS. only 6 day that i actually gained weight.

both hikes was tough but manageable.

I used an 80 lt bag. with a split in it. bought the Red mountain chk website( the guys that use to make Karrimor in SA). Make sure the bag has a rain cover. What we also did was use a black bag or stronger one from plastic supplier and slipped inside our backpack to make sure your belongings don't get wet.

Food stuff we shared the weight across the members. Eating heavier items earlier and the noodles and biltong the last few days. We also worked out our menu well beforehand  to see what we were able to carry. Braai was on day one :drool: .

clothes u need to buy good quality. check capestorm first accent. light and warm etc. waterproof poncho too. we also used gaitors helped with the wet conditions so that your boots don't fill with water. i built my collection of equipment over the years. 

WRT river crossings take note the water level will be low and all of a sudden a big wave comes along and washes up stream. we lost a few walking sticks and gaitors this way at our very first crossing. the ranger warned us of taking any chancers with crossing the rivers. under currents are strong. they have taken a few lives already. we also used a big bag ( that our back pack could fit into when crossing rivers that were deeper. a rope will come in handy. the one river ( think storms river) we took the escape route which was tough. similar to platteklip. the rangers collected us and dropped us off at the otherside to hike till the next hut.

accomodation was good. wood available, nice huts. the ups and downs of otter will get to you. but the views and scenery are well worth it. pack in some voltarens too. they help u sleep lekka.

both hikes are excellent and well  worth the trip. i will chk if i have the emails wrt the hike and pm u.  

I normally book out the whole trail IE 12 spots and take family and friends.

Invite me on a freebee and I will do the menu,do the shopping,cook the food and look after you  :thumbup:

I might just take you up on this offer... I'm not the organiser though, I'm just a tag along...

Hi

used the slack pack option for Tsitsikamma. drop off each day. we were a big group. 15 persons i think. we ate like KINGS. only 6 day that i actually gained weight.

I used an 80 lt bag. with a split in it. bought the Red mountain chk website( the guys that use to make Karrimor in SA). Make sure the bag has a rain cover. What we also did was use a black bag or stronger one from plastic supplier and slipped inside our backpack to make sure your belongings don't get wet.

Food stuff we shared the weight across the members. Eating heavier items earlier and the noodles and biltong the last few days. We also worked out our menu well beforehand  to see what we were able to carry. Braai was on day one :drool: .

clothes u need to buy good quality. check capestorm first accent. light and warm etc. waterproof poncho too. we also used gaitors helped with the wet conditions so that your boots don't fill with water. i built my collection of equipment over the years. 

WRT river crossings take note the water level will be low and all of a sudden a big wave comes along and washes up stream. we lost a few walking sticks and gaitors this way at our very first crossing. the ranger warned us of taking any chancers with crossing the rivers. under currents are strong. they have taken a few lives already. we also used a big bag ( that our back pack could fit into when crossing rivers that were deeper. a rope will come in handy. the one river ( think storms river) we took the escape route which was tough. similar to platteklip. the rangers collected us and dropped us off at the otherside to hike till the next hut.

accomodation was good. wood available, nice huts. the ups and downs of otter will get to you. but the views and scenery are well worth it. pack in some voltarens too. they help u sleep lekka.

both hikes are excellent and well  worth the trip. i will chk if i have the emails wrt the hike and pm u.  

Thank you... All this talk is beginning to get me really excited for this trip... 

Edited by ZakAttak

For the 1st night on Otter I carried a lekker vacuum packed steak, if you are prepared to carry the weight go for it!

Agree with the quality. If you buy good quality the stuff can last for ages!

for the first night we sometimes cook up a curry and freeze it....but thats only if we packing lighter in summer

as I said abut lasting long...this will take you back..still strong like bull

post-7169-0-70885000-1468502600_thumb.jpg

I might just take you up on this offer... I'm not the organiser though, I'm just a tag along...

just joking

Don't underestimate the trail.

It is very scenic.Lots of rivers and pools to swim in along the way.

Plan lunch at Blue bay

The secret to an enjoyable trail is to plan each day.Dont rush to get to the hut.Stop swim, I take a mask along.Aim to get to the hut at about 4 having still another 3 hours till dark cause you are doing it in summer.

for the first night we sometimes cook up a curry and freeze it....but thats only if we packing lighter in summer

attachicon.gif20160702_113859.jpg

Made in Selebi Phikwe Botswana

Hi

How does the Otter compare to the Tsitsikamma trail?  The distances and estimated times per day are longer on the Tsitsikamma and I'm worried I am biting of more than I can chew for my first big multi-day hike. 

attachicon.gif20160702_113859.jpg

I have a green one  :D