Stages Powermeters

milky4130

Stages on MTB and I've had a couple of problems but Omico has swopped it out every time without any questions. Great service!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its wont winter now so probably makes sense what about summertime, won't you then miss it?

DC training commences 7th August so yes it will be a nice tool to use on long rides, however since all our training is done during the week and sunday rides are more group rides I don't think I will miss it that much. 

I'm in the market for a PM for my mountain bike, Stages would be ideal since I wouldn't need to rebuild the wheel & weight saving for race days, but I'm seeing way too many for sale which is making me more skeptical. Can someone who has 1st hand experience please explain why there are so many for sale? Thanks

I recently bought my first power meter about 3 months ago. 

I got stages because it was the best price that I knew would fit my bike and I was in a rush to get one.

Apparently Sky use them so I was happy with that.

No issues so far (bought it second hand).

The power reading has stopped for about 0.5 seconds once but no real issue there.

It does only measure left power so you dont get the balance you would get with garmin vector pedals.

But from my side I am very happy, it does the job and helps me train

Thanks for all the feedback guys, yes I really think for some people it was a piece of technology they purchased but only afterwards learned that "power training" i.e. intervals was not for them. I just thought I'll start this thread in case there was something major I was missing especially since I heard of a couple of teething issues with the Gen1 batch.

anyone here use the Powertap & Stages? It got me thinking when Capri mentioned the Stages only measures left side how does that compare to the torque tube measuring of the Powertap Hub?

Stages only measures 1 leg, then multiplies it by 2. Half a power meter should be half the price then ;)

Stages only measures 1 leg, then multiplies it by 2. Half a power meter should be half the price then ;)

Correct - compare stages to SRM or a Quark and you'll see it is half the price.

anyone here use the Powertap & Stages? It got me thinking when Capri mentioned the Stages only measures left side how does that compare to the torque tube measuring of the Powertap Hub?

We did a test for about a week long.  There was a 2% difference in our case. 

Thanks for all the feedback guys, yes I really think for some people it was a piece of technology they purchased but only afterwards learned that "power training" i.e. intervals was not for them. I just thought I'll start this thread in case there was something major I was missing especially since I heard of a couple of teething issues with the Gen1 batch.

One of the things you can consider instead of the stages is the powertap HR belt for use on your mtb - I also have one of these that I use for tracking TSS etc  when riding the bikes that don't have PM's on - and it works pretty well for that. - also considerably cheaper.

https://www.bicyclepower.co.za/product-category/powertap/powercal/

Just a thought.

One of the things you can consider instead of the stages is the powertap HR belt for use on your mtb - I also have one of these that I use for tracking TSS etc  when riding the bikes that don't have PM's on - and it works pretty well for that. - also considerably cheaper.

https://www.bicyclepower.co.za/product-category/powertap/powercal/

Just a thought.

Thats a good option, thanks for the V12man.

I've got PT on roadbike and Stages on MTB. Can't say there is much difference when comparing IF and TSS numbers.

Thats a good option, thanks for the V12man.

Is what I use for MTB as have concerns about pedal knock and potential internal damage of the stages.  I have a stages on my road bike.

Have even used the powercal when on my TT bike for training rides rather than switching over the stages from my road bike and it is fairly accurate I think when have looked at similar routes done on both bikes (road/TT).. and should be suitable for recording your TSS and IF.

Is what I use for MTB as have concerns about pedal knock and potential internal damage of the stages.  I have a stages on my road bike.

Have even used the powercal when on my TT bike for training rides rather than switching over the stages from my road bike and it is fairly accurate I think when have looked at similar routes done on both bikes (road/TT).. and should be suitable for recording your TSS and IF.

I have squared the crank on a rock at speed on my stages - and it has been fine - unless it takes a direct strike I suspect it will be fine :)

I have used the PowerCal for years now. Only ever need one PM then ans it's on you not on the bike. Only negative I can point out is huge spikes that last 1s if HR jumps quickly or if there is n HR "misread" due to clothing flapping on it occasionaly or something. It affects the peak 1s HR when looking at analysis later.

I have used the PowerCal for years now. Only ever need one PM then ans it's on you not on the bike. Only negative I can point out is huge spikes that last 1s if HR jumps quickly or if there is n HR "misread" due to clothing flapping on it occasionaly or something. It affects the peak 1s HR when looking at analysis later.

Stop at a stopstreet and look at your power being produced at a standstill....

Compared to my Stages and Powertaps, it's not that accurate - but it is in the ballpark for TSS etc measures - good enough for that anyway - but totally useless to measure 30 sec intervals (as compared to a proper device)

Stop at a stopstreet and look at your power being produced at a standstill....

Compared to my Stages and Powertaps, it's not that accurate - but it is in the ballpark for TSS etc measures - good enough for that anyway - but totally useless to measure 30 sec intervals (as compared to a proper device)

There is that issue. Not great for anything short but at least it's consistently wrong so comparing me to myself over time shows the correct trends albeit that it's not as accurate as a prop device. Mine was R900 when I bought it. Not much in comparison to a proper one.

Archived