[Event] 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour - Argus

Bianchisti

Back in the office today and reflecting on a really awesome weekend - without an official Argus finish...

About the weather. I did the race in 2009 and yesterday a couple of us cycled backwards on the route up to the top of Chappies. As a direct comparison I honestly feel that the wind was worse than in 2009. Most people turned around before the booms because it was just that bad. I was on a MTB and around some of the corners it was impossible to stay on one side of the road - I was almost blown off the side and at one stage it literally felt like the bike was going to lift up. I saw people sitting flat holding on to their bike's top tubes with the bikes flailing in the wind. Personally I think it would have been reckless for organisers to expect bunches to go through there as the gusts would have resulted in many accidents. I would not have attempted cycling there in a bunch - I've never experienced anything like that (even in 2009).

With respect to the protesters I'm just going to say that myself (like most people) are fed up with the lawlessness and lack of action by authorities, and we cannot continue to allow this sort of behavior. For one we cannot afford it. I do, however, not believe that it resulted in the race being cancelled - although it might have contributed.

Regarding the weekend and can honestly say that it was one of the most fun-filled times of my life. We got to go to the expo, had lunch in a very nice local tavern in the city center, enjoyed the awesome trails at Meerendal and cycled around Blouberg, Melkbos, Koeberg and the beach front on the day before the race. On race day I got to cycle into the city and then from the finish back on the route. For the first time we went down into Llandudno where there was this big skateboard party going on (as there apparently is every year at the same time as the Argus). I also got to go up Champan's Peak on a really windy day!

I understand that a lot of people had very different intentions regarding the race, but one of my friends commented on the way back that we would not have gone down on Wednesday evening if we knew there was going to be no race and maybe just maybe we should do it more often...

If you are good at making lemonade life will always be fun! :thumbup:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As humans, we naturally feel different things after something like yesterday. I suppose the five/seven stages of loss could come into it, especially for those who had an extra special reason to race this year. A 10th or 21st Argus, a ride with family who aren’t likely to be in the same town at the same time next year, a special trip from Europe (or further). Of course it’s heartbreaking and depressing (and an enormous waste of money) for those riders who travelled from overseas. Even for us ‘locals’, this weekend was rather expensive holiday that we probably wouldn’t have otherwise taken. 

For me, relief. 
Not the relief that I didn’t have to battle in those conditions for 109km, but the relief that the sub-3 monkey gorilla is off my back for the next year. It was doable this year, but from 1G I knew I had to finish in the top 5% (of my group and my age category). That was always going to be 50/50 and down to a combo of decisions on the day and luck. In Sunday's conditions, my chance was far closer to zero. The pressure – mostly self-created in my head – had become that gorilla. Training had gone well but, as ever, I found myself dwelling on all the times I could’ve done more, the midweek rides and spinning classes I skipped. Guilt during rest weekends. One too many beers on a Friday.

In the (mostly solo) ride out to Hout Bay and back before 8 yesterday, I found myself really enjoying cycling again for the first time this year. The cancellation was so utterly anti-climatic - it happened with barely a whimper.

Here’s to next year. And that bloody sub-3 (and the treat of a (legal) second lap so I can actually enjoy the atmosphere in what must surely be one of the most beautiful races in the world).

Every single one of you who are threatening to skip/boycott next year will be back. And deep down you know it. You’re just stuck in the whole ‘denial’ thing...
Edited by hilton_

We have decided to shift our focus to next weekend and make the Montague based Eroica South Africa our funride for autumn. If anyone is in need of a little lightening up to get over his CTCT blues, I recommend this race. Last year was a blast. Choose your poison, 50, 90 or 140 km. Old bikes, gravel roads, passionate people. Steal, borrow or buy an old classic bike and come along. Eroica extended its entries until tomorrow to accommodate late entries. Here is the link.

https://eroicasouthafrica.com/

Envious. Good luck and have fun!

No thank you not the same as CTCT

its a nice change, by March get pretty gatvol of that coast route, so this is a nice change. 

Also, there will be less chances of crashes :)

Wish everyone would just get over themselves (the moaners).

If you think you can do it better - go for it. Every one of your proposals can be shot down in flames in seconds (see all posts above). There is an argument for everything and many more against it.

It is impossible to please 35000 entrants, never mind the many more tens of thousands of people that surround the whole organisational infrastructure.

As hard as it is....you invest and you win OR lose. That's life. If you don't like the odds, sit on your couch and play video games.

One thing is certain: there is never any certainty. Ever.

Good luck to all at Cape Epic. See you there..... :clap: :w00t:

Agreed, cannot imagine pleasing 35000 people, I struggle just to please my wife most days...

Agreed, cannot imagine pleasing 35000 people, I struggle just to please my wife most days...

and thats the start of your problems, your already forgetting it should now be wife + 1.

and thats the start of your problems, your already forgetting it should now be wife + 1.

Do two toddlers count, thats sort of an add on from the wife. 

its a nice change, by March get pretty gatvol of that coast route, so this is a nice change.

Also, there will be less chances of crashes :)

Unfortunately my mtb season starts, so road bike goes into storage.????????????

2c8c823c4e02a0239a09a9159ba533f9.jpg

If you are in Cape Town, still want to ride and want to help out the fire victims. We have organized a car to collect clothes, bedding, non perishable foods in the morning at virgin active sea point at 5:35 and take it through later.

(There are some people also doing a Table mountain MTB ride of that floats your boat at the same time)