Oils for lowers service

NicoBoshoff

I am keen to start servicing my lowers on my Pike myself eventually because it's so patently simple I think I won't even screw it up.

But it seems getting one's hands on the Rockshox 0W30 oil could be harder than I thought.  Evo stock the SRAM butter, but are out of stock so I've made a request with my LBS to see if their SRAM agents can't hook me up with Butter and Oil.

But if I don't manage to get the stuff I need:

- Is there an acceptable substitute for the SRAM Butter?  That won't destroy the silicone seals.

- Can one use e.g. 5W30 synthetic oil such as Castrol etc instead of the RS 0W30?

Cheers

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am keen to start servicing my lowers on my Pike myself eventually because it's so patently simple I think I won't even screw it up.

But it seems getting one's hands on the Rockshox 0W30 oil could be harder than I thought.  Evo stock the SRAM butter, but are out of stock so I've made a request with my LBS to see if their SRAM agents can't hook me up with Butter and Oil.

But if I don't manage to get the stuff I need:

- Is there an acceptable substitute for the SRAM Butter?  That won't destroy the silicone seals.

- Can one use e.g. 5W30 synthetic oil such as Castrol etc instead of the RS 0W30?

Cheers

Spanjaard rubber grease...

Will check the weight i use on my fork tonight...know its castrol synth though.

Edited by rouxtjie

Spanjaard rubber grease...

Will check the weight i use on my fork tonight...know its castrol synth though.

Oh, ok awesome thanks.  I take it I can get that grease at most Midas and Autozones?

Speak to Droo at Stoke Suspension - maybe he can help

Ja, but I feel a bit k*k asking a guy how to not make use of his services, you know?

Ja, but I feel a bit k*k asking a guy how to not make use of his services, you know?

From my few dealings with Droo, he's more than happy to help with anything. I'm sure he won't mind.

Edited by alexwc46

Oh, ok awesome thanks.  I take it I can get that grease at most Midas and Autozones?

yea, cant remember where i got mine...but it lasts long...think it comes in 500g tub.

Just remember the amount of oil you put in the damper side is crucial.

yea, cant remember where i got mine...but it lasts long...think it comes in 500g tub.

Just remember the amount of oil you put in the damper side is crucial.

Jip I watched a brilliant MBR video which shows everything in minute detail. 5c and 15cc oil.  Will just double check the sides, but the Pike screws actually have it inscribed on them.  Idiot proof stuff.

The 5 and 15ml was changed in the later versions of the pike service manual to 10ml and 10ml (iirc). I use pm600 on the seals, so far so good.

The 5 and 15ml was changed in the later versions of the pike service manual to 10ml and 10ml (iirc). I use pm600 on the seals, so far so good.

Ah, ok that would make sense, because the guy at my LBS said they also use 10 and 10, but then again my bike is a 2015 model, so I'll check it's manual and the bolt inspcriptions.

Ok the Autozone in my hometown has the Spanjaard Rubber GRease and Castrol synthetic 5w30 oil, so I reckon I'm just going to give that a go.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Ok the Autozone in my hometown has the Spanjaard Rubber GRease and Castrol synthetic 5w30 oil, so I reckon I'm just going to give that a go.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I was searching this yesterday and found a thread where Droo advised 5wt, specifically Castrol Magnatec 5w30, for RS lowers.

Also giving it a bash in the next few days as my fork is feeling sticky/clicky on small bumps - feels dry so lower oil top-up is first thing I'll try.

Stop in at your local Mx store, the fork oil we use on MTB is not some voodoo hard to find specialized monkey blood, the Mx guys use the same weights in their forks and shocks.

And I'll bet they are a bunch cheaper as well, you may need to buy 500ml or 1L but it will still work out cheaper.

I bought a liter of motorex from an MX Store at a third of the price of the same product at a bike shop