The Home Improvement Thread

dev  null

Nice Thread and I have a question.

We has this single layer, staggered brick wall separating us from the neighbors. It has barb wire on the top and some thick creeper growing along that made a nice screen as we are slightly lower than the neighbors. Eventually the barbwire fell of and brought the creeper with it (this was when we have a few thunderstorms and bad winds).

the wall is now really bear and we are rather exposed that side. I wasn't to put something up to act a screen. What could I use that is cost effective and relatively immediate. Was thinking of planting a row of trees/shrubs but not sure that would look good and would take long for the trees/bushes to form a screen. Also the lawn section is rather narrow so don't want to take too much away from the lawn.

Was also thinking some wooden sections but too much maintenance and expensive.

I have attached a pic where you can see the wall in the background and past the lonely tree is the very bare wall. Just ignore the bike in the picture :D

Lekker bike. Have you posted it in the giant thread?

I have just planted bougenvilles in my garden, not sure how long they take to grow but am watering plenty and putting plenty used coffee at the base as well as worm wee. I planted them at the beggining of winter and luckily we didn't have any bad frost to damage them.

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, evergreen. The flowers are sometimes orange to deep red also. They are a bitch to trim due to the nasty thorns, but that also are why they are very effective at preventing people from climbing the wall.

Well I am no too concerned about people climbing the wall that side as the neighbors have electric fencing on their side (you can't see it in the picture).

Its really the privacy I want. Would the wooden things no need maintenance like oil and stuff? What else could I grow along the wooded things that grow fast but are light so they don't ruin the wood?

Are Bougainvilleas evergreen? They the thorny plants with the pink flowers right?

They come in a few colours. I got pink, purple and white. The purple I believe will be the deep red mentioned above.

Damn, I was gonna say the same thing. I am gonna be doing that in the future sometime as my neighbours kids keep bouncing things over the wall into our veggies.

I looked at using nutech sheets as an option as well.

My Nephew keeps kicking his ball over that side so also want to prevent that. What are nutech sheets?

I have just planted bougenvilles in my garden, not sure how long they take to grow but am watering plenty and putting plenty used coffee at the base as well as worm wee. I planted them at the beggining of winter and luckily we didn't have any bad frost to damage them.

thanks. Will be posting her soon in that thread.

I have a bougenville growing in the front section but that thing got badly out of control (lack of pruning) and the branches grew all over the show and got really bushy, thorny and big.

Well I am no too concerned about people climbing the wall that side as the neighbors have electric fencing on their side (you can't see it in the picture).

Its really the privacy I want. Would the wooden things no need maintenance like oil and stuff? What else could I grow along the wooded things that grow fast but are light so they don't ruin the wood?

Nah, with the bougie there it'll not matter. If the extension falls apart it'll actually hold it up, they're that hardy. Plus if you use treated lumber (roof trussing etc) it's almost impervious to rot. 

My Nephew keeps kicking his ball over that side so also want to prevent that. What are nutech sheets?

its like cement fibre which basically replaces asbestos. 

Also look at that plastic wood.

Best options for easy maintenance.

Wood is not too bad but severe weather - hash son and rain will determine how often you have to paint, varnish etc

its like cement fibre which basically replaces asbestos. 

Also look at that plastic wood.

Best options for easy maintenance.

Wood is not too bad but severe weather - hash son and rain will determine how often you have to paint, varnish etc

Yes, I've seen the plastic wood and looks pretty cool. Is it more expensive than wood? It surely would not need any maintenance.

I don't think they like a lot of water. Certainly, the brachts (leaves, not flowers) only turn colour if the plant is lekker droog. 

I have done following at my place:

Built outside braai with chimney

Put a roof section onto back yard between house and said braai (15m Square odd)

Painted room

Retiled kitchen

Put down laminate in living room (removed tiles first)

Currently i am busy redoing bathroom and non diy getting someone to do the Paving around house 50m square odd, its a small place.

Bathroom currently sits on:

Tiles removed mostly

Bath Removed

Basin Moved temporarily

Geyser moved outside (Insurance claim)

Outstanding

Move toilet 10cm (yes really!)

Install new plumbing.

Brick everything up.

Install bath and remove shower.

Built cupboard for the basin.

Lots left to do :)

Its super fun tho

•  

Yes, I've seen the plastic wood and looks pretty cool. Is it more expensive than wood? It surely would not need any maintenance.

that plastic wood is damn expensive but will last forever!

•  

that plastic wood is damn expensive but will last forever!

Yup - nutec tends to get brittle after a few years when exposed to rain / sun if not treated on all sides.

I would plaster the wall (properly) and paint some nice designs on it (like Bougainvilleas - low maintenance plants  ;))

Edited by Flemish Lion

Yeah I havent done any costing yet. Still busy trying to get a chance to alter some interior walls and insert lintels and then skeem (*spelling) passage and 3 rooms.

Can only do this once my bedroom cupboards are done, which is hopefully this eve.

Living in the house 13 years now and man I am sure I have spent millions already. 

Well at least I am close to done with the interior.

Yup - nutec tends to get brittle after a few years when exposed to rain / sun if not treated on all sides.

I would plaster the wall (properly) and paint some nice designs on it (like Bougainvilleas - low maintenance plants  ;))

It would be nice to plaster it but that does not solve the height issue for privacy. Adding a few more levels of brick is too expensive.