The Home Improvement Thread

dev  null

That was my problem as well. I then went the insulation that gets sprayed into the ceiling. I took the thickest option. It is well worth it. The house is coolish in summer and warmish in winter. 

who did you use for this? I Got a quote for R3000 for about 100sqm which seems very good. Am thinking of this for next year before winter

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

who did you use for this? I Got a quote for R3000 for about 100sqm which seems very good. Am thinking of this for next year before winter

I think it was these guys.

http://www.thermguard.co.za/

All I remember is I got the contact details out of that home improvement paper that comes with the cape times. 

Also I remember there were 2 companies. One was therm gaurd. A lady was a bit rude at the one and the other was a man who moved on from therm gaurd and started his own business. Probably why the lady was so uptight.

Anyways the man qouted lot less and he did the work.

My DIY skills &experience are sorely lacking. To be honest, I did woodwork in std 4 & 5 way back in 1989. I then arranged to do music classes in those periods... Completed projects = ZERO.

We bought an old house two years ago and have to make do with it as is - I need to buy bike parts :whistling:  - and therefore used the built in stove that came with the house. This thing was a POS in that only 2 of the 4 hotplates kind of worked, i.e. either the were off or ON. When I cooked supper a few weeks ago, one of these remaining plates gave in as well and stripped my moer - other than my mtb and drinking beer, cooking is my passion, something I really enjoy and is fairly good at, well at least better by comparison to riding my bike. Chucked out the old stove/unit, leaving me a gap of 83cm (try find an 80 cm gas/electric) and then I went at the built-in kitchen cupboard with a saw/grinder/hammer only to find that the previous owner didn't tile under the kitchen cupboards.

So I had a fair bit to do, none of which I've done before: Tiling, using a freakin'  grinder to cut tiles, MEASURING(!!!) and, generally, using powertools. Luckily my dad gave me a Makita cordless drill kit for Christmas...

Well, I did everything (except the gas installation and electrical connection) myself, saved a bit of money in the process and learnt that I can (and actually like to) do these kind of things. Granted: mistakes were made, blood was bled and the kids' vocabulary upgraded to those of sailors.

Still need to give the new cupboard door a second coat of paint, and other little odds and ends like making a hardwood countertop. Maybe getting ahead of myself now.

Love my Lofra stove!

Some progress pics:

post-33762-0-38311000-1471607656_thumb.jpg

post-33762-0-25334100-1471607666_thumb.jpg

post-33762-0-45457500-1471607673_thumb.jpg

post-33762-0-46222800-1471607682_thumb.jpg

post-33762-0-96288500-1471607692_thumb.jpg

post-33762-0-99742700-1471607698_thumb.jpg

Edited by Patensie

My DIY skills &experience are sorely lacking. To be honest, I did woodwork in std 4 & 5 way back in 1989. I then arranged to do music classes in those periods... Completed projects = ZERO.

We bought an old house two years ago and have to make do with it as is - I need to buy bike parts :whistling:  - and therefore used the built in stove that came with the house. This thing was a POS in that only 2 of the 4 hotplates kind of worked, i.e. either the were off or ON. When I cooked supper a few weeks ago, one of these remaining plates gave in as well and stripped my moer - other than my mtb and drinking beer, cooking is my passion, something I really enjoy and is fairly good at, well at least better by comparison to riding my bike. Chucked out the old stove/unit, leaving me a gap of 83cm (try find an 80 cm gas/electric) and then I went at the built-in kitchen cupboard with a saw/grinder/hammer only to find that the previous owner didn't tile under the kitchen cupboards.

So I had a fair bit to do, none of which I've done before: Tiling, using a freakin'  grinder to cut tiles, MEASURING(!!!) and, generally, using powertools. Luckily my dad gave me a Makita cordless drill kit for Christmas...

Well, I did everything (except the gas installation and electrical connection) myself, saved a bit of money in the process and learnt that I can (and actually like to) do these kind of things. Granted: mistakes were made, blood was bled and the kids' vocabulary upgraded to those of sailors.

Still need to give the new cupboard door a second coat of paint, and other little odds and ends like making a hardwood countertop. Maybe getting ahead of myself now.

Love my Lofra stove!

Some progress pics:

Good Work!

BTW, I also need to get that green insulation stuff. What is the best way to cut it?

Garden shears, if you unroll it, otherwise a long bread knife if you want to cut the roll.

Some renovation pics, did it 2 years ago. Took early occupation, gutted the house, moved bathrooms around, re did kitchen, bathrooms, new floors, re built some walls. Did most of the work on weekend and 5-11 at night.

Luckily that year was the 50km Argus!

post-11806-0-04210500-1471858561_thumb.jpg

Removing cupboards

post-11806-0-55318400-1471858668_thumb.jpg

Before

post-11806-0-71803100-1471858721_thumb.jpg

After - About 90%

Kitchen Plans.pdf

How I went about designing... That was the extent of the plans...

post-11806-0-76363300-1471858827_thumb.jpg

Done for now.

post-11806-0-74382900-1471858856_thumb.jpg

A little demo, new babies room.

Some renovation pics, did it 2 years ago. Took early occupation, gutted the house, moved bathrooms around, re did kitchen, bathrooms, new floors, re built some walls. Did most of the work on weekend and 5-11 at night.

attachicon.gifCleaning kitchen.jpg

Removing cupboards

attachicon.gif11174498_10153159522140100_5166656700504585545_o.jpg

Before

attachicon.gif11219492_10153159593400100_2149270838341760950_o.jpg

After - About 90%

attachicon.gifKitchen Plans.pdf

How I went about designing... That was the extent of the plans...

attachicon.gifWP_20150512_004.jpg

Done for now.

attachicon.gifaltAjhgQALhWiArHr9-tqd9c06e8oCx88pLw150PUABOYaV.jpg

A little demo, new babies room.

Will find some more before and after pics. Was some serious long hours... Glad its done and have another 3 years in the place :D

Guest notmyname

Garden shears, if you unroll it, otherwise a long bread knife if you want to cut the roll.

Jip. We completed the job in 2 days with just the two of us. The bloke was using sheep shears to cut the stuff. It's a pretty *** job.

attachicon.gifCleaning kitchen.jpg

Was that because you didn't land on your feet when that cupboard finally came off?